CA Resident. Buying New Car OUT OF STATE. Tax??

ElCoyote

Lord SVT Contributor
Established Member
So I had a big question that I can't seem to find the answer to on the CA-DMV's website.

What is the process when buying a new car from out of state (at a dealership) and bringing it back to CA?
- Do I pay taxes at said state AND here in CA?
- Will I pay taxes at said state AND THEN pay the additional difference here in CA??

Has anyone ever gone through with this? Any experienced and informed info is welcomed!

* Looking to possibly buy a new Raptor. They're considerable cheaper out of CA.*

Zinc03Cobra

Super Trooper
Established Member
You're really not going to save much once you're forced to register it here and pay taxes on a certain percentage of the vehicles worth.

As someone who fills in at the Board of Equalization/Franchise Tax Board fairly often, what you're describing is something that always bites people in the ass down the road. They're suddenly surprised they owe thousands of dollars in back taxes to the State for the *great deal* they got out of state.

In short, if you pay tax on the car in another state (which is generally lower than Californias), the State of California will pick up the remainder of the tax owed.

Really think this through...

ashleyroachclip

Established Member
Are you buying said vehicle i Oregon?
There is a new tax on new vehicles , as of the first of the year .
I think it is less than 2%.
Tou will still have to pay the commie tax to register your new Raptor , and last i k ew , it is at minimun msrp .
Good luck .
My Vrandfather used to buy cars from Oregon , and register them here , got caught , paid a small fortune .

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
The taxes on out-of-state sales are based on where the car will be registered.

I live in NY and bought my Evo X from a dealership in NJ back in 2008. I paid NY sales tax.

This is how it should be. The tax rate is based on where you live. Along with reg fees.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
You can purchase out of state, but you will pay the difference in tax in the total value of the car. There may be a fee on top of the balance of taxes due.

I had to declare purchase value when i registered my Harley i bought as an AZ resident when i moved to California. The bike was 5 months old.

If the the car isnt a CA certifed emmisions vehicle, there may be additional fees to register it in the state.

Unless its a literal deal of a lifetime, id look to see if the vehicle you want is available in CA.

Dinosgt

Established Member
I went through this ordeal as well. Bought it out of state while was a CA resident. Did not register the car until I brought it to CA, then paid its exorbitant rates once it arrived.

If I recall, kicker was that I also brought in a car that I bought in another state many years prior - but CA still required the difference in sales tax from the origin state to CA’s tax. I had to find the original sales paperwork as proof.

Another reason to hate CA.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Kevins89notch

Established Member
The taxes on out-of-state sales are based on where the car will be registered.

I live in NY and bought my Evo X from a dealership in NJ back in 2008. I paid NY sales tax.

Same here. Live in FL, bought in MD (it was $2,500 cheaper), and they calculated FL taxes. Oddly I later got a $127 check or so because they claimed they miscalculated. Whatever, I'll take it. I negotiated via the final number anyway, so perhaps that's where they messed up. I said $22,000 OTD. They said ok, and offered to pick me up at the airport the next day.

ElCoyote

Lord SVT Contributor
Established Member
An out of state Crew Cab Raptor can be had for MSRP in states like Texas and Utah. In CA dealers are ridiculous looking for 20k over msrp.

I was also looking at 3.5l ecoboost f150's out of state that are a good 10% cheaper slightly used vs the same model here in CA.

I understand I will pay the CA tax rate and that's fine. I just didn't know if there are any additional fees/hiccups when registering in CA.

nxhappy

Established Member
you won't save any money
you must pay CA sales tax
you will also transport said car
the car/truck must be inspected/cleared
you are better off buying local

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
you won't save any money
you must pay CA sales tax
you will also transport said car
the car/truck must be inspected/cleared
you are better off buying local
Not unless he finds a CA dealer doing MSRP. Which seem to be few and far between there. OP have you been to FRF? There is good info on the subject there. But do a search because the locals will eat you alive for asking this question.

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
As someone who did what you're trying let me fill you in. When you buy it out of state, just tell them it's going to Cali. You then pay Cali state taxes and get the papers for it all. Then you have to get it weighed (All trucks are commercial vehicles in Cali) and smogged (no surprise there). It'll run you something like $120 for the both of them together. After that, you register it like normal. And yes, all Raptors are Cali legal, so don't let someone tell you different. In the end, you're out nothing but the cost of transport. So if you can make a road trip out of it or something, you can DEFINITELY save money compared to buying it local in SoCal.

to HELL with SoCal dealerships, for the record. They're STILL asking $15k over or more.

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
Double post.

But editing to add, where are you in OC? I live just northeast of there and go to LA all the time with my black SCAB Raptor.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
As someone who did what you're trying let me fill you in. When you buy it out of state, just tell them it's going to Cali. You then pay Cali state taxes and get the papers for it all. Then you have to get it weighed (All trucks are commercial vehicles in Cali) and smogged (no surprise there). It'll run you something like $120 for the both of them together. After that, you register it like normal. And yes, all Raptors are Cali legal, so don't let someone tell you different. In the end, you're out nothing but the cost of transport. So if you can make a road trip out of it or something, you can DEFINITELY save money compared to buying it local in SoCal.

to HELL with SoCal dealerships, for the record. They're STILL asking $15k over or more.
There are dealers out there that won’t sell to CA residents. So keep that in mind OP @13COBRA can probably clarify the paperwork process and I think @03’Darin can give more insight on the process

Last edited:

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
There are dealers out their that won’t sell to CA residents. So keep that in mind OP @13COBRA can probably clarify the paperwork process and I think @03’Darin can give more insight on the process

This is very true as well. In my searching (this was before production had even started for the 17s, mind you) I found several dealerships that wouldn't even bother with me because I lived in Cali.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
This is very true as well. In my searching (this was before production had even started for the 17s, mind you) I found several dealerships that wouldn't even bother with me because I lived in Cali.
The second dealer I ordered through was one of them (gave a guy in CA their info and they told him nope). But they couldn’t secure me a truck either. Hopefully third time is the charm.

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
The second dealer I ordered through was one of them (gave a guy in CA their info and they told him nope). But they couldn’t secure me a truck either. Hopefully third time is the charm.

Just seeing your location, I bought mine at Helfman Ford in Stafford for MSRP before they ever rolled off the lot. I don't know if they're still doing MSRP deals, but it would be worth a shot if you're trying for a Raptor.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Just seeing your location, I bought mine at Helfman Ford in Stafford for MSRP before they ever rolled off the lot. I don't know if they're still doing MSRP deals, but it would be worth a shot if you're trying for a Raptor.

I have had trouble dealing with those fellas, but that was a few years ago. They are actually dealing now?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
To my knowledge MOST cars and trucks are 50 state emissions certified. But Im sure there are a few oddball ones out there. You can register most anything in CA if it can pass emissions, its always just how much do you want to/ will you have to pay.

Users who are viewing this thread