C6Z06 with a 5.3L Flat Plane Crank LS.

Recon

Established Member
This popped up on my google page. I think it’s really interesting and cool to say the least. Definitely a unique sound but I think I’d stick with the LS7.
Article:
A Ferrari V8 sounds like a Ferrari V8, largely, because it has a flat-plane crankshaft setup. No other American V8 muscle cars, with the exception of the Voodoo V8 found in the Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 and GT350R, have flat-plane crank V8s. Until this guy came along with his modified C6 Corvette Z06.

Sporting a naturally aspirated, flat-plane crank, 5.3-liter V8, this 2006 Z06 has a manual transmission with only 66,000 miles on the clock. On its Ebay listing (because, yes, it’s for sale), the seller writes that the lightweight, short-throw flat-plane crankshaft only weighs 30 pounds and there’s a dry-sump oil system.

The car makes 560 horsepower, 450 lb-ft of torque and has an 8,250-rpm redline. Other drivetrain mods include:

Custom Carrillo H Beam Rods
Custom Wiseco 12.5:1 Pistons
Custom Sonny Bryant Flat Plane Crankshaft
Custom Comp Camshaft
Dailey Engineering 5 Stage Dry Sump
LS7 CNC Ported Head
Jesel Tool Steel Keyway Roller Lifters
Jesel Pro Stainless Steel Rockers
Custom Manley Pushrods
Inconel Exhaust Valves
Titanium Intake Valves
Fast LSX Intake Manifold
ERL Performance Superdeck Sleeved LS Block
Exedy Hyper Single Disc Clutch
Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel
Custom Tuned ATI Crankshaft Balancer
Holley EFI Dominator ECULG C6 Z06 Super Pro Longtube Headers
Corsa Z06 Exhaust Mufflers
And it sounds goddamn amazing. Everything about it sounds amazing. The idle, the low revs, the high revs, letting off the throttle. Everything.

The current bid is for $30,000.

Now, I know that most of the time it’s not advisable to buy someone else’s project car. You don’t know what might or will go wrong, you don’t know how carefully they performed the modifications. But man, this is a freaking flat-plane crank Z06! That is COOL.

While I love the LS7, I might love this engine a little more. It has a higher power output and sounds better. I didn’t think you could make a C6 Z06 more awesome, but I think someone just did.
9c8a9796a776136130accd762f21c6e7.jpg

Pick your poison.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm going to be honest here, I think it sounds great at idle. After that, it doesn't do it for me. Too exotic sounding for a C6, IMHO. (I'm not crapping on the car, just not my idea of a great sounding C6.)
I think I'd rather stick with the LS7 as well.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds “acceptable” on approach, but I can’t handle the buzz once it passes the camera.

Unique would be an understatement.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Definitely sounds a little ricey on acceleration. I wonder if the speakers on the camera weren't picking up some of the sounds and made it sound weaker than it is.

SVTFastBack

Established Member
All the LS based flat-planes sound like dog shit. We have one in town that CramMcall helped build, in person it sounds much worse. It's kind of like hearing a hurt motor getting ready to die like on the verge of starting to knock super bad and keel over, doesn't even sound like a V8, actually it sounds like a motor that has firing order issues or ignition in general being spun so its missing exhaust pulses to create that wierd ass sound. I know a few years back and I believe it was Lingenfelter put one together, still sounded like ass. It's pretty much because of the orientation and it wasn't built for flat-plane modifications like the GT350 or euro stuff Ferrari+ ect. Wierdly enough at Fab Fords 2004 when I was helping film and do interviews for Greg at Musclecarcalender.com we ran across an vehicle with a Windsor based worked over with a one off flat-crank that ended up not sounding bad and the owner was planning on doing it again with an 427 FE. LS just doesn't cut it in the field, better off just going LSX route and having a stupid powerful stroked/bored N/A.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
With the expense of replacing a blown LS7... this might have actually been a cheaper what to repower the car after blowing the LS7

fitforspeed

Established Member
Lol, that sounds like garbage! If I had closed my eyes and listened to that I would have imagined it was a Acura/Honda or something. I really like Corvettes and usually their sound, but that sound just doesn’t match the car. A+ for doing something different, but I’d be trying to sell it too if it were mine.

bluebosss197

im did asbestos i can
Established Member
All the LS based flat-planes sound like dog shit. We have one in town that CramMcall helped build, in person it sounds much worse. It's kind of like hearing a hurt motor getting ready to die like on the verge of starting to knock super bad and keel over, doesn't even sound like a V8, actually it sounds like a motor that has firing order issues or ignition in general being spun so its missing exhaust pulses to create that wierd ass sound. I know a few years back and I believe it was Lingenfelter put one together, still sounded like ass. It's pretty much because of the orientation and it wasn't built for flat-plane modifications like the GT350 or euro stuff Ferrari+ ect. Wierdly enough at Fab Fords 2004 when I was helping film and do interviews for Greg at Musclecarcalender.com we ran across an vehicle with a Windsor based worked over with a one off flat-crank that ended up not sounding bad and the owner was planning on doing it again with an 427 FE. LS just doesn't cut it in the field, better off just going LSX route and having a stupid powerful stroked/bored N/A.
If you ever find a video of that Windsor from Fab Fords 2004, post it up!

Users who are viewing this thread