C-head swap....emissions equipment?

mustang8650

Established Member
I've seen some people who run those check valves as well. They say they work very well. I get a little nervous because they are so cheap, but if it works, why waste the money on the Andair unit. But I have one of the Andair units, waiting for the new motor, and it is very solidly made.

Yeah, the story is funny how a came about finding them for my car, I looked online for quite a bit trying to find a one way valve that would work, was searching all over the net, long story short when I went to checkout I saw their address was in Lima, OH, right near me. So I simply stopped in their showroom and picked me up 10 of em thinking eh if one fails throw in another, got home mouth tested it to 2psi, worked good lol, threw it in the car, in the car 7 yrs and still on the first one LOL.

I can believe that Andair unit is solid, looks like a really nice piece, if I ever have to step it up from these units its good info to know.

Last edited:

mwolson

Gray beard
Established Member
Mwolson, from reading around on the forums here you seem to know alot about emissions, but I also saw something where you were talking about deleted IMRC's, just noticed you said ...

"I don't know how to fool the PCM into thinking deleted IMRCs are still there with resistors, but I think that is a really bad idea. If the PCM thinks the EGR is there, and adds the spark advance from the table, your chances of detonation will go way up."

I think I meant to say EGR rather than IMRCs there. That made the post a bit confusing. If the PCM adds spark to take advantage of the EGR, and the EGR is not there, it could cause detonation.

When I noticed you talking about that I started looking around for info on what to do when you have C heads and deleted the IMRC's, can the IMRC's just be turned off in the tune? I would assume I wouldn't want the PCM thinking they are there and using tables and making adjustments based on that making my car act all funny...

SCT has base tunes for 96-98 PCMs that are pre-made with the proper tables for IMRC deletes. If you start your tuning process with the correct base tune, then the spark tables will be properly set up.

I tuned my 86 GT TT myself with a DFI Gen 7 system, was a learning curve for sure, and I know I still don't come close to understanding all of it like the big boys in this field, but one thing I did learn the hard way was one little lookup table based on whatever variable that isn't just right is enough to throw the whole tune off...for example timing and fuel based off of ECT temps, IAT temps etc....I imagine the stock PCM is even more complex given emissions and IMRC lookup tables and other lookup tables a DFI doesn't even have. I just now read one guy deleted his IMRC's and it idled rough at 700 rpm's with AC on and the revs came down slow when AC off...

I was thinking of getting a tuning solution for the stock PCM and tuning this thing myself to gain experience and knowledge etc...now I'm second guessing whether I'm gonna get in over my head doing that, I'd have alot closer tune to start out with for this car, but at the rate I'm learning about this car its making me realize how much I don't know LOL, time to read read read and have a professional tuner lined up if I fall astray....

I recommend Greg Banish's Engine Management: Advanced Tuning book, and Don LaSota's tuning videos and books. If you read them and are not intimidated, then you'll do fine. I haven't taken SCT's on-line training yet, but it looks pretty good too.

I have been doing my own tuning for a long time now and have even tuned my son's Hondas. I think it is a lot of work, but a lot of fun, and you can actually do a lot more from a tuning perspective than we could back in the days of carburetors and no widebands.

If you are interested in it, I say go for it. Especially if you have done some tuning before.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread