Buying VMP stage 2, anything I'm missing?

calebdnehus

Established Member
I think between the 79 and 82 isn't much difference. The main difference in boost between those pulleys seems to come from a combo of intake and what you've done exhaust wise. The more restricted the flow, the higher the boost but I'm sure y'all already knew that as y'all are more informed then me since y'all have the kit. That and the aggressiveness of tune I assume plays a role in how high of psi you will see

James Calhoun

Established Member
I was all set to buy a stage 2 vmp kit. Called and talked to BJ for a bit and Some how when i got off the phone i had ordered a stage 3 kit,LOL. Honestly if you can swing the cost,just do the stage 3. I knew i was gona want the upgrades later on for more power and cost wise it was a better deal to just order the stage 3 over the 2. I got mine with a 82mm pulley,but also got a 79mm.

calebdnehus

Established Member
I was all set to buy a stage 2 vmp kit. Called and talked to BJ for a bit and Some how when i got off the phone i had ordered a stage 3 kit,LOL. Honestly if you can swing the cost,just do the stage 3. I knew i was gona want the upgrades later on for more power and cost wise it was a better deal to just order the stage 3 over the 2. I got mine with a 82mm pulley,but also got a 79mm.

I've honestly not even looked at that one. I know the 2 was advertised at like 725 or something like that and I figured that damn near plenty for me. Whatd the three run you after it was said and done?

burke985

Established Member
Np good luck , Im only making around 8.5 psi with his tune but the power output is the same. I'm sure the car is making north of 660 right now on pump E85.

calebdnehus

Established Member
Np good luck , Im only making around 8.5 psi with his tune but the power output is the same. I'm sure the car is making north of 660 right now on pump E85.

Awesome. So that's pretty much it then. 82mm pulley, ID 1000, 60mm twin throttle body(starting out), one step colder plugs, and a swap out of the jlt intake to which ever Shaun prefers when he gets back to me. And with the pump booster they supply with the stage 2 kit paired with the ID's fueling shouldn't be a problem at all. Sweet! I appreciate guys, more knowledge here than I can find anywhere else. Thanks!

Last edited:

dabster

Established Member
The 373 are nice for normal driving, I hate them when I race or go to the track. I'm in 5th before people I race hit 4th lol, it's stupid and kills mph and time in the 1/4. If it's purely a street car throw a good tire on it and enjoy it.

calebdnehus

Established Member
The 373 are nice for normal driving, I hate them when I race or go to the track. I'm in 5th before people I race hit 4th lol, it's stupid and kills mph and time in the 1/4. If it's purely a street car throw a good tire on it and enjoy it.

Thats the plan so far. Been looking at the nitto 555 g2's. If a track would open up close to me than 2-3 hours out, I'd go but I dont want to drive that long just to race a few times and then come home. An off topic question, would 295/40/20 out back with 255/45/20 up front look stupid on a mustang? I'm pretty sure both will fit. The rear tires would be 11.85 inches wide and 29.29 inches tall and the front would be 10.04 inches wide and 29.06 inches tall. My stock tires are right at 27.7 inches tall and about 9.57 inches wide in all corners

Last edited:

dabster

Established Member
Thats the plan so far. Been looking at the nitto 555 g2's. If a track would open up close to me than 2-3 hours out, I'd go but I dont want to drive that long just to race a few times and then come home. An off topic question, would 295/40/20 out back with 255/45/20 up front look stupid on a mustang? I'm pretty sure both will fit. The rear tires would be 11.85 inches wide and 29.29 inches tall and the front would be 10.04 inches wide and 29.06 inches tall. My stock tires are right at 27.7 inches tall and about 9.57 inches wide in all corners

Honestly I think an ET street SS or ET Street II would be all that will hold it, I barely do with 15 inch et street SS's and full suspension

calebdnehus

Established Member
Okay, I'll give those a look. So far I've found the rims I want, I just dont know what size tires I can go with and they not look stupid or look like my car has a lift on it. I wanted the 295/40 out back because its nice and wide and I like that look but the fact that its 29.29 inches tall makes me think it'll look goofy. What size are you running

Untchbl

Established Member
295/35/20's aren't bad out back from a height perspective. These are right at 28" usually depending on brand.

On a 10.5" wheel you could also do a 305/35/20. These will be right around 28.5 depending on brand.

calebdnehus

Established Member
295/35/20's aren't bad out back from a height perspective. These are right at 28" usually depending on brand.

On a 10.5" wheel you could also do a 305/35/20. These will be right around 28.5 depending on brand.

My original plan was to go with 305's but I read a couple threads of people saying running those with 20's makes the ride bad. I don't really know what a bad ride is in a mustang, I had a Tacoma with the lift on it and that thing had almost no flex. Felt like it bounced over bumps instead of having the springs and shocks absorb them

Untchbl

Established Member
It's all relative right?

I have 255/35 and 295/35 nitto invo's on my 13' with eibach pro's and don't think it's anywhere near as stiff or abrupt feeling as my stock STi was. I can't see going to a 305/35 with a tire in the same quality range as this invo would be that much different.

calebdnehus

Established Member
It's all relative right?

I have 255/35 and 295/35 nitto invo's on my 13' with eibach pro's and don't think it's anywhere near as stiff or abrupt feeling as my stock STi was. I can't see going to a 305/35 with a tire in the same quality range as this invo would be that much different.

That's probably what I'll do then. I found some bad ass looking 20's that look amazing on these cars. You know the Verde axis V99 rims? Those are what I want. And I don't have to have the nitto tires, I'm after a high quality tire that'll hook better than these pirelli's and aren't as loud as the pirelli's. My p-zero's are loud as crap and it's annoying

evil281

Established Member
Definitely not a bad ride on 305/35/20's. I'm running that size nt555R with my stage 3 E85 VMP setup and they hold okay but I plan to try out the MT SS next.

I'd recommend a little more tire on the front than 255 if you don't want that rubber band look. It's personal opinion but I run the 275/35 up front and it looks good.

calebdnehus

Established Member
Definitely not a bad ride on 305/35/20's. I'm running that size nt555R with my stage 3 E85 VMP setup and they hold okay but I plan to try out the MT SS next.

I'd recommend a little more tire on the front than 255 if you don't want that rubber band look. It's personal opinion but I run the 275/35 up front and it looks good.

I'll make sure I do some more google image searching. I wish there was more mustangs around here so I could get an in person look at different options such as tires and rims. I've been looking around but I haven't really come across any "performance" geared mustang clubs around here. We do our best to just have a car meet in general where I live

Vert

Established Member
I run a 255 in front and 295 rear Invos and the car tracks better on my roads, especially on roads with a cap. I will also be running 15X10 MT drag radials once I order my tires.

calebdnehus

Established Member
I run a 255 in front and 295 rear Invos and the car tracks better on my roads, especially on roads with a cap. I will also be running 15X10 MT drag radials once I order my tires.

You have any good pictures of your current setup? That's about a 28.5 inch tall tire in the back. I'd like to see what that looks like. Are you lowered?

Vert

Established Member
You have any good pictures of your current setup? That's about a 28.5 inch tall tire in the back. I'd like to see what that looks like. Are you lowered?

Not lowered yet, but I plan to lower the rear to level it out since the SC lowers the front.
Tell me what shots you want and I'll post them

calebdnehus

Established Member
Not lowered yet, but I plan to lower the rear to level it out since the SC lowers the front.
Tell me what shots you want and I'll post them

Straight on from the back and down the sides of the car and straight on from the side if you don't mind man. How much did your SC drop the front? I didn't think it would be enough to really notice

Users who are viewing this thread