Buying VMP stage 2, anything I'm missing?

Vert

Established Member
Hmm, that's odd. I'm going to have to ask Shaun why he doesn't like the jlt. I just assumed it from the couple of reviews having figments issues was the reason. After doing a little more research, I may just see if VMP will let me trade out the jlt for the 67mm twin throttle body and start out with my stock air box for now and see what power/psi that puts me out and then add or stay content from there
I would talk to AED and see what he prefers and this was over a year ago.

Zona14Stang

Established Member
Odd why he wont tune it with that intake on it. I'm curious to why they wouldn't.

I believe Shaun said sometimes that had problems with the MAF and the way the tube was designed.

If you are looking for 650 rwhp more than likely you will need E85 and a new fuel system. It all depends if you have good gas where you live.
I just dynoed at 688 rwhp with E85 and a 79mm.

Last edited:

calebdnehus

Established Member
I'll shoot Shaun an emial tomorrow and see what he says

I believe Shaun said sometimes that had problems with the MAF and the way the tube was designed.

If you are looking for 650 rwhp more than likely you will need E85 and a new fuel system. It all depends if you have good gas where you live.
I just dynoed at 688 rwhp with E85 and a 79mm.

I dont have to absolutely have 650 rwhp, just somewhere over 600ish while keeping to motor relatively alive for decent amount of time. The 93 pump gas around here is fairly good. How many pounds of boost do you see at most on the 79mm pulley?

Vert

Established Member
You'll see 11-12 lbs and you should be in 615-630 range depending on the dyno.

Vert

Established Member
One thing you might seriously think about and that's changing out your gears. With a manual and the 3.73s, 1st and 2nd gear will be like trying to get traction on ice.

calebdnehus

Established Member
You'll see 11-12 lbs and you should be in 615-630 range depending on the dyno.

How flexible are the stock internals when it comes to "safe" boost limits? I've read 10psi is the stopping point but I've come across several people in the 11-13 range that are running good with no foreseeable issues. For what thats worth. I just need enough time to either find the forged parts I want and gather them up or pick up an aluminator somewhere

The Beast 2014

Established Member
Its not just the boost. Its the air fuel mixture also since having a bad tune is more detrimental. I get 575 with an 82MM pulley and 6.5 pounds of boost. Mine is an auto with 91 octane so even if you went with an 82mm on a manual with 93 I don't see why you couldn't get 600.

calebdnehus

Established Member
One thing you might seriously think about and that's changing out your gears. With a manual and the 3.73s, 1st and 2nd gear will be like trying to get traction on ice.

Yeah, I've gotten that from a few people. I figured I'd give it the go with the 3.73 and see how they combine with my driving habits. If I'm being completely honest, I drive my car like I'm 70 years old 95% of the time just because I don't want to beating on it a lot. Once this supercharger lands in the engine bay I figure I'll give it a little more work than I usually do but still nothing too serious. I dont have a track anywhere near me that isnt a 2-3 hour drive. So I don't drag race or anything like that. Ever since I was a kid, I always imagined building up a high horsepower mustang so thats what I'm trying to do. I've got a guy thats built a 750hp '01 cobra that I get a lot of my advice from. Anyway, back the important, I'll give my current gears a go but if its too bad then I'll swap out for a lower ratio

calebdnehus

Established Member
Its not just the boost. Its the air fuel mixture also since having a bad tune is more detrimental. I get 575 with an 82MM pulley and 6.5 pounds of boost. Mine is an auto with 91 octane so even if you went with an 82mm on a manual with 93 I don't see why you couldn't get 600.

Thats always the second part of everything I read. All in the tune. And by no means am I going to have it pushed to the limit trying to hit 600. I'll dialed in safely and whatever number that gives me is what I'll live with until I beef up the motor or swap it for an aluminator. Wish I had about 17k to drop because I'd do it all at once instead of the supercharger first and shoot for higher power. But a safe tune making 575 on low boost is a lot better sounding to me than a more aggressive/dangerous tune making 600-620. You wouldnt happen to know how many degrees of timing youre running, do you? Also, what total mm throttle body do you run?

Last edited:

The Beast 2014

Established Member
Stock throttle body, 15 degrees of timing but I don't run a VMP. The stock throttle body is plenty good enough for what you want but the VMP kit does have a bigger one. If you aren't going to drag race the car then high 500's is way more power than you need on the street. You would be plenty happy with it.

The Beast 2014

Established Member
My numbers are going to be way different than yours with a VMP since I am probably one of the only guys on the forum running an edelbrock. That being said I have an awesome local tuner I trust and I got such a good deal on the kit I couldn't pass it up.

calebdnehus

Established Member
My numbers are going to be way different than yours with a VMP since I am probably one of the only guys on the forum running an edelbrock. That being said I have an awesome local tuner I trust and I got such a good deal on the kit I couldn't pass it up.

Yeah, I would probably be happy with upper 500's. 600+ would just be icing on the cake of I could run that safely. I know I'll easily think anyone in the tri-county area around here with that. Not too many high performance cars around in central Arkansas like me haha. How much was your total invest when you went FI if you don't mind me asking?

The Beast 2014

Established Member
Wow, thats tough because I did ID1000 injectors which you will need at that power level. I bought those at a good price also. I would say, the supercharger, injectors, plus the custom tune ran me about 9k. I had the shop do all the install work so there is labor in it and thats an estimate because they were doing other things. For example, when they did the tune they also installed Koni yellows and springs on all sides.

burke985

Established Member
You will need ID 1000 for more than just E85 I had to get them for Shauns 93 octane tune because we ran out of injector on the 47lb'er at 6500 rpm, just save your self the hassle if your getting tuned by shaun and get ID 1000. Also he will not tune smaller than an 82mm on stock fuel system. Im currently on his flex fuel tune and the car is just an animal i highly suggest running E85 if you have the availability, you will need a 22v BAP though if you dont have a return system, i bought a JMS power max V2 throttle activated one and it works great logs were excellent.

Zona14Stang

Established Member
I have not seen greater than 10 lbs of boost with my 79 mm pulley.
You will love the kit though not too bad of an install. I posted a bunch of pictures. It is night and day going e85 though

Vert

Established Member
You will love the kit though not too bad of an install. I posted a bunch of pictures. It is night and day going e85 though

The 79mm must not help much since I'm seeing10lbs on 82mm pulley.

calebdnehus

Established Member
Wow, thats tough because I did ID1000 injectors which you will need at that power level. I bought those at a good price also. I would say, the supercharger, injectors, plus the custom tune ran me about 9k. I had the shop do all the install work so there is labor in it and thats an estimate because they were doing other things. For example, when they did the tune they also installed Koni yellows and springs on all sides.

That's about what I'm looking at give or take a few hundred. I'm sure it'll be well worth it though. VMP has changed their kit since I last spoke with them so I'll get back on the phone with them again when I'm fully decided on what I want in their package. Hell, I may go all out and get all the bells and whistles and just dial it back to an acceptable level. If I can break that much cash away. Haha

calebdnehus

Established Member
You will need ID 1000 for more than just E85 I had to get them for Shauns 93 octane tune because we ran out of injector on the 47lb'er at 6500 rpm, just save your self the hassle if your getting tuned by shaun and get ID 1000. Also he will not tune smaller than an 82mm on stock fuel system. Im currently on his flex fuel tune and the car is just an animal i highly suggest running E85 if you have the availability, you will need a 22v BAP though if you dont have a return system, i bought a JMS power max V2 throttle activated one and it works great logs were excellent.

Well that's the injector choice made right there, thanks bud. And going smaller than an 82mm is highly unlikely for a while for me. Not looking to blow the doors off at the track, I'm sure 82mm will get in the perfect spot

calebdnehus

Established Member

The 79mm must not help much since I'm seeing10lbs on 82mm pulley.

From what I've seen the 79mm is supposed to be a gain of a ~1psi of boost over the 82mm.

Users who are viewing this thread