Buying and shipping site unseen

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
Here are my thoughts. I didn't buy mine sight unseen but I did get a check ready and go meet the seller 4 hours away based off what I was buying. I did buy the car, but it was not what he said it was. I don't think he lied at all. Just his views are different than mine. It needed new seat belts, new tires (dry rotted), an alignment (which he mentioned so I knew that), a new heat exchanger b/c the old one was bent from when he hit a goose causing the alignment to be out of wack and a complete detail. I almost didn't buy the car when I saw it but seemed mechanically sound and he had documentation from the previous owner. His pics were from when he bought the car 1.5 years earlier and I don't think he did anything to the car in 1.5 years. Like even wash it. It was kept inside but just FYI I'd ask lots of questions about pictures etc. I think you'd be fine sight unseen from Hi End Auto or other reputable dealer

mjg11

MJG 11
Established Member
I bought mine site on seen from someone on this site shipped from CO to NJ . He sent me a ton of pictures a video. He also sent me pictures of all the documentation . He faxed me a copy of the title I wired him the money . He was very good through the entire the process always available for phone calls . Just my 2 cents

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Here are my thoughts. I didn't buy mine sight unseen but I did get a check ready and go meet the seller 4 hours away based off what I was buying. I did buy the car, but it was not what he said it was. I don't think he lied at all. Just his views are different than mine. It needed new seat belts, new tires (dry rotted), an alignment (which he mentioned so I knew that), a new heat exchanger b/c the old one was bent from when he hit a goose causing the alignment to be out of wack and a complete detail. I almost didn't buy the car when I saw it but seemed mechanically sound and he had documentation from the previous owner. His pics were from when he bought the car 1.5 years earlier and I don't think he did anything to the car in 1.5 years. Like even wash it. It was kept inside but just FYI I'd ask lots of questions about pictures etc. I think you'd be fine sight unseen from Hi End Auto or other reputable dealer
lol

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Nope. No way. Don't do it.

Too many shady people out there. Having a car shipped is one thing, but go look at the car and have a leak down done.

If it's not possible, maybe reach out to someone on the boards to take a look for you. At least you would have a description from someone besides the seller.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

choate

Established Member

You should have seen the thing when I got it Brad. He told me it was recently detailed which the engine bay I believe was detailed but he had an 8 year old kid. I found multiple kool-aid juice boxes, ice cream wrappers, snickers wrappers, sucker sticks and everything else you can think of. Inside of the car was a mess

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
You should have seen the thing when I got it Brad. He told me it was recently detailed which the engine bay I believe was detailed but he had an 8 year old kid. I found multiple kool-aid juice boxes, ice cream wrappers, snickers wrappers, sucker sticks and everything else you can think of. Inside of the car was a mess
I remember.

gaspasr

Established Member
Some cars from certain members in this forum you can by sight unseen. I had no reservation buying V8DER's car. The guy is a class act.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Bought mine site unseen from a "member" here(joined to sell the car) but it had tons of pictures, receipts for all the mods, all installed by dez racing. Dyno sheets, the carpet and seats were all plastic wrapped. And the private shipper that was hired only shipped high end cars, so he did a one over on the car to verify everything was as stated. Smooth as silk transaction

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Buy site unseen if you like doing stuff like this.
590a7c7a432d34eba69d0150577843de.jpg

blownfox

Established Member
I bought site unseen from a member on here but I also had a friend that moved the Florida look at the car. The buyer provided me several videos of the car (inside video driving it home from work and walk around of the interior and exterior) and performed a compression test. I had it shipped in a enclosed trailer and have no regrets!

choate

Established Member
Buy site unseen if you like doing stuff like this.
590a7c7a432d34eba69d0150577843de.jpg

what in the world man is going on? on a side note, do you know Shawn Donavan by chance? for some reason he knows you but maybe just from here. that's who owned my car for 12 of it's 14 year life

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
When I got the car it was low on compression (bank 2). The seller knew about it and didn't say a word. Found the invoice of a compression check under the passenger side seat when I was cleaning it out. I was not a happy camper...

Car had cams, so I assumed they were just degreed incorrectly. Pulled the motor to get the cams degreed, turned out the journals were scored.

Not sure if it was poor installation, or a failing oil pump or the cams infact caused it? But I ended up getting a set of the revised DC cast heads/ARP studs/valve job/decked ect etc. new pump with billet gears.

I spent a lot more money that I had not planned on doing but at least I know it was done right and the car is going to be a beast now with the 2.9 cams and e85. I could have kept my Sonic blue car and made it bulletproof with the money I spent on the MC and the issues.

All in all, even with the problems, I still have a low mileage cammed Mystichrome. So I can't be too mad, right?!?

As far as Shawn, I'm not sure. I remember cars a lot easier than names. LOL. Where was it located and color/mods? He probably knows me through facebook/here as I'm pretty active on both.

choate

Established Member
I think he lives in Cincinnati. I bought the car off his friend who only owned it like 1.5 years just outside of Indy. I've added new wheels, blower upgrade etc but Shawn had all the papers in order, records, knows everything about the car and you could tell just really cared about it. Ben the guy I bought it off of just drove it for 3k miles. That's about all he did to it. Here is how I bought it after I cleaned it all up
20161105_113813_zpsf87oorj4.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using svtperformance.com mobile app

Zemedici

Established Member
Bought my cobra sight unseen.

However I run a shop and can fix any issues that may arise. And have.

I recommend having a forum member go and check out the vehicle for you. I've done it for forum users here, also checked out blowers, etc.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
All in all, even with the problems, I still have a low mileage cammed Mystichrome. So I can't be too mad, right?!?

LOL. Wrong. Thats awesome you have a low mile mystichrome.....but I'd NEVER get over what that previous owner did to you, especially with the compression test sheet sitting under the seat?!?!

"Oh....I forgot to tell you about that....."

What a moron.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
LOL. Wrong. Thats awesome you have a low mile mystichrome.....but I'd NEVER get over what that previous owner did to you, especially with the compression test sheet sitting under the seat?!?!

"Oh....I forgot to tell you about that....."

What a moron.

Yeah, its absolute bullshit and the guy obviously has zero morals. But what can ya do?

The way I'm looking at it now is that I was able to do everything that I wanted to do anyway. Especially the studs/adjustable cam gears/secondary tensioners/oilpump. plus a lot of other goodies since the motor was out. Headers/bigger oil pan/powder coat everything

I plan to be over 700 so its a good thing that I was able to upgrade all that while I had it apart.

I think he lives in Cincinnati. I bought the car off his friend who only owned it like 1.5 years just outside of Indy. I've added new wheels, blower upgrade etc but Shawn had all the papers in order, records, knows everything about the car and you could tell just really cared about it. Ben the guy I bought it off of just drove it for 3k miles. That's about all he did to it. Here is how I bought it after I cleaned it all up
View attachment 96084

Sent from my SCH-I545 using svtperformance.com mobile app

Looks amazing.. Makes me miss my SB so bad. I really wish I could have kept both. I would have if I didn't have issues with the MC. They looked so good in the garage together. LOL

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Yeah, its absolute bullshit and the guy obviously has zero morals. But what can ya do?

The way I'm looking at it now is that I was able to do everything that I wanted to do anyway. Especially the studs/adjustable cam gears/secondary tensioners/oilpump. plus a lot of other goodies since the motor was out. Headers/bigger oil pan/powder coat everything

I plan to be over 700 so its a good thing that I was able to upgrade all that while I had it apart.

Oh ya, that's all good stuff right there. I can't wait to hear the numbers and your impressions of a 2.9, cam'd and corn'd setup! That's going to be an animal lol

Users who are viewing this thread