Buying a cobra at 100k miles? Reliability? First v8

outdorsman

Established Member
Well after fighting my current car to keep it alive, I've given up and have decided to sell it. I've never owned a v8 but its always been my dream to own a cobra, preferably a termi, but a N/A cobra is the next best thing I can afford. I came from the DSM world, 1997 GS-T Spyder, was a whole world of fun with the 16g on it. But it crapped out on me and became a giant money pit. Keep in mind, I'm 18 but I've been working on cars for 3 years now. I do all my work by myself and have yet to encounter an error in my work. I've rebuilt 3 heads, 1 for my dsm, 1 for my prelude, and 1 for a friend. The only thing I haven't done on a car is a full scale rebuild which I kind of look forward to. I don't beat on my cars (reason why I have 3 still). I do scheduled maintenance on all my vehicles. I've just never had my hands on a v8 besides an 02 Explorer and 01 5.9L Ram.

here is the cobra I was looking at and I'm wondering how does it look? is 100k miles to much? Whats the reliability or what should I expect?

2001 Ford Mustang SVT Cobra, $11,995 - Cars.com

Joester08

Established Member
Its just like any other car man. As long as you take care of it , it will take care of you. But if your doing a rebuild, then you might want to consider getting a beater car or something. Cobra looks good, and 100k miles is high, but it is all about what YOU want.

Good luck man

WhiteSnake99

Established Member
I paid 7000 for mine and it has 140k. But, I had all services verified and they did a complete seal and gasket change at 120k (original owner planned on sc it). Its like what has been said, as long as it is taken care of you should be fine.

98_Undertaker

Established Member
Bought mine with 117,000 in 09 for $8,000 it now has 165,xxx with no issues.

Just take care of it and don't rag the crap out of it and you will be fine

jacker1991

Established Member
I would not pay more than 8k but that's my opinion. I haven't had any issues with my car and have never heard of anyone that has had issues with their engine as long as they keep it under 400 RWHP.

01RedBeardCobra

Established Member
I would not pay more than 8k but that's my opinion. I haven't had any issues with my car and have never heard of anyone that has had issues with their engine as long as they keep it under 400 RWHP.

Agreed

You should also look around more. Mine has 66k and if I go to sell I'd ask around that price they have listed.

Overpriced. Don't care what kbb says.

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
I bought my '99 with 90,000 miles on it and other than shooting a spark plug out I've had no issues through ~109,000 miles now.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
They're pretty solid motors. About the only thing that's a concern at that mileage is that the valve seals get a little weak, and give a little puff of smoke on startup. Other than that, if they're taken care of they'll run for a long time.

I'm not sure I'd listen to people's opinions on prices here, though. As someone who spent a significant amount of time looking for a a 99/01 to buy, the price they have seems about on par with what I found available for purchase. Some of the deals people have mentioned in this thread are simply amazing compared to what I saw.

Gravik

Established Member
Bought my '01 GT with 116k on the clock, no issues. As long as it was treated right by the previous owner(s) it should be fine.

On the other hand, these cars are getting to be "how much you're willing to pay for them". I personally wouldn't touch it for $11k. Why? Because there are so many better deals out there.

stang8762

Established Member
I also got my 99 with 100k on the clock and besides a little puff of smoke on startup it was fine .. You can also get a Oasis report from the ford dealership if you have the vin # .. it shows what service work and recalls that were performed on the car by ford . Its free too

outdorsman

Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys, I've been a little bit of research with these cars and have decided to not go for it. I'm looking for something even cheaper haha. I found this beauty, I don't know its condition as I haven't seen it in person yet. The cobra in the OP has been sold though.

1997 Ford Mustang for sale by Nevada Auto Sales, Used Car, Truck and SUV dealer in the Nevada Auto Sales >> 702-305-0555, area

I know this is a newedge section but I don't think starting a new thread would be necessary unless you guys think it is haha.

I've pretty much settled on getting a 94-98 cobra or a 99-04 GT since thats where my budget is.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Do some checking under the hood. I think I see a narrow band gauge in the pillar. I'm guessing there's another one above it. Make sure the engine is in good shape.

Users who are viewing this thread