Buying a car from dealer, interesting situation, major advice required!

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
Thanks for this post, many helpful points :beer:

It is a Certified Honda, comes with an extended warranty up to 120,000 KM (80,000 miles). Certified Honda's in the U.S.A. come with a 7 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty. Make sure the warranty they are giving you is thru Honda. You can also purchase a Honda Care wrap around warranty for cheap. They will tell you it costs $xxxx amount but you can negotiate the price down. So you're saying Honda as a corporation will not let dealers affix "Certified" status to a car that has been in a major accident? Yes, but just like carfax, some cars can slip thru the cracks and still get certified.

Are there any other obvious things I can look for that you can suggest I check for? When you test drive it make sure the car doesn't smoke when it hits vtec. If a car is certified the dealership must do a checklist when the car is being inspected. Ask them for the checklist.

What is your opinion on if I was to get a car fax+car proof and have my shop look at it, and it all came back with a clean bill of health? In the good ol' USA the law states that as a consumer you are allowed to take the car to a third party for inspection before you buy it. Not sure about Canada's laws. Would you still have reservations about it? I would just check everything out and if all is well, go for it. I understand a car sitting on a lot for a year can because for concern but there has to be a red flag that jumps out immediately if it hasn't been sold due to damage etc.

Based on the sticker of $13,995 I'm largely guessing the price has scared everyone away (since it should be more along the lines of 10/11).

That is a tough price point up here, too many incentives with new economy cars that you can pick up for $15K with 0 KM and a full warranty, granted they are a bit more "boxy" than a civic is, but most people buying a civic simply want something reliable. 14K is an extremely hard sell, the location of the dealership makes it prime for people to simply stop by at night and look without being bothered (window sticker say 14K).

Again, I really appreciate your post

No problem!:beer:

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
The one piece of advice I will give you is never become so attached to a vehicle at a dealership that you are not willing to walk away.

Come to a price you are happy paying for the vehicle and put that down. If you don't feel comfortable with the price or the deal just walk away.

Good example, wife and I just bought a 2007 focus from a local dealership. It had sat on the lot for 6 months and I knew that walking in. I offered a price based on what I thought the car was worth, and that included them fixing a ding on the passenger side and repairing a spot that was not fixed correctly in a previous accident.

They agreed on the price and I agreed to pick the car up the following week after they had it fixed. Once I walked in the door they had the paperwork ready to go and the car was in the back "being prepared". It was only after I insisted on seeing the car prior to signing the paperwork that they told me it was not repaired in the manner we had agreed.

I ended up getting a signed paper from the dealership covering the cost of the repair at a 3rd party vendor before I signed any paperwork on the vehicle. Dropped the car off at the other shop, had it fixed, and was ready to go. I even had the dealership offer a rental vehicle at no charge by the time it was said and done.

Bottom line, stick to what you know about the vehicle and what you are willing to pay. Never become so attached to the vehicle that you are not willing to walk away at any point and time.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
The one piece of advice I will give you is never become so attached to a vehicle at a dealership that you are not willing to walk away.

Come to a price you are happy paying for the vehicle and put that down. If you don't feel comfortable with the price or the deal just walk away.

Good example, wife and I just bought a 2007 focus from a local dealership. It had sat on the lot for 6 months and I knew that walking in. I offered a price based on what I thought the car was worth, and that included them fixing a ding on the passenger side and repairing a spot that was not fixed correctly in a previous accident.

They agreed on the price and I agreed to pick the car up the following week after they had it fixed. Once I walked in the door they had the paperwork ready to go and the car was in the back "being prepared". It was only after I insisted on seeing the car prior to signing the paperwork that they told me it was not repaired in the manner we had agreed.

I ended up getting a signed paper from the dealership covering the cost of the repair at a 3rd party vendor before I signed any paperwork on the vehicle. Dropped the car off at the other shop, had it fixed, and was ready to go. I even had the dealership offer a rental vehicle at no charge by the time it was said and done.

Bottom line, stick to what you know about the vehicle and what you are willing to pay. Never become so attached to the vehicle that you are not willing to walk away at any point and time.

^^^ I agree. There are plenty of the same models for sale elsewhere. I was about to buy a z06 and walked out when I was about to sign the paperwork. If you get too attached and impulse buy you will spend more money/make a bad decision.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Throw a number at him (a low one), and walk away; those cars aren't exactly rare.

Yes, he needs to get paid, for that he needs to sell cars.

You walking nets him 100% of nothing, something that's painfully obvious to all car salesmen.

That being said, he's not going to sell at a loss, he'll come up with a middleground price about then, particularly if the car's been there that long.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

That is an interesting and helpful story, and very good advice. The more you know going into the dealer, and the more prepared you are to walk away, the better deal you'll ultimately get. When the salesman knows you're an informed and savvy buyer he will usually cut more quickly to the chase. I also do not recommend accepting a deal at the first dealership you visit. Always shop around. You will usually end up with a better deal in the long run. JMO.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
The fact that it's been on their lot for a year or more would send me the other way.

Me too. I have an older friend whose neighbors wanted him to buy their car. They were wanting $9,500.00 for it. He knew its history/past. They told him to make them an offer. He offered them $2,700.00. They laughed at him and told him no way. Even his son told him he was crazy. The car had over 100,000 miles. So he walked away. 6 months went by. No sale. Finally after about 9 months they asked him again to make an offer. He did $2,700.00. They laughed but he got the last laugh a month later they sold him the car for $2,900.00.

OP go back and tell them you saw the other ad for $10,995.00. Tell him since he thought you would not find that out and he tried to take you for more money.......Tell him you'll give him $9,995.00. Then go from there. But I sure would remind him of the fact the car has been in their possession for a year or so. Make sure he knows you are informed.

MARK C

Established Member
Remember this if anything.......They want that car off there lot...A year is way to long!!
Offer them $9500.00, if they say no....Turn around and walk away! They might try to stop you, and talk....then the ball would be in your court! if not find another car. Like many have stated before, don't fall for this car....there are many more out there.
My 2 cents....I work at a new dealership and have so for 25 years.

Users who are viewing this thread