Buying a 2014 Tremor

99-venom

Established Member
I'm possibly looking at buying a 2014 Tremor today.

I don't have much knowledge about the 3.5 Ecoboost. I've read about the condensation issues in the intercooler and also timing chain phaser issues. It seems like Ford had dealt with these issues before 2014, but I couldn't find a definite answer. It sounds like dirty valves due to DI and replacing spark plugs every 10k-15k miles are common maintenance issue. Are there any other issues I should look for?

Also, is anyone willing to run an Oasis report for me? I would greatly appreciate it!

upload_2018-4-19_7-47-4.png

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
i had a 2011 Ecoboost truck, my dad has it now with 115k miles.. I'd definately do a catch can and check the spark plugs.. as far as making more power, some catless downpipes from Full Race or Stainless Works, followed by the Ford Racing catback will do wonders..

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
i had a 2011 Ecoboost truck, my dad has it now with 115k miles.. I'd definately do a catch can and check the spark plugs.. as far as making more power, some catless downpipes from Full Race or Stainless Works, followed by the Ford Racing catback will do wonders..

Don't forget about the tune!

OP - There are a lot of tuners out there, but I have had great experience with @Livernois Motorsports so they get my vote. If you think the truck has good get up and go now, just wait until you get a good tune on it!

99-venom

Established Member

Cool, I'll grab a catch can for it and a set of plugs. I have been looking at performance mods. For sure Ill be putting a intercooler and a tune. Any recommended tuners?

The prices aren't bad on these. How quick are they?

Stock they run mid 14s. Tuned with down pipes, intercooler and a set of stickies they run 12s. Supposedly...

sleek98

Established Member
I have put 3 or 4 sets of plugs (I cant remember if I did 1 or 2 sets at my old house) in my 2011 in the 55k miles I have had it. Set I replaced last night had one cracked and was causing it to buck going up hills. Dont use E3 plugs they lasted 5k miles. NGK lasted 15k or so. I went back to the motorcraft plug this round to see if it lasts longer.

I just ordered a JLT can yesterday for it. I added a drain in the intercooler as well this week. about 5 oz of oil came out when I drilled the 1/16" hole, then put a screw in it to plug it up.

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
Cool, I'll grab a catch can for it and a set of plugs. I have been looking at performance mods. For sure Ill be putting a intercooler and a tune. Any recommended tuners?

Stock they run mid 14s. Tuned with down pipes, intercooler and a set of stickies they run 12s. Supposedly...
i'd get it dyno tuned after the downpipe and exhaust because you'll need someone to turn off the secondary 02s

99-venom

Established Member
I have put 3 or 4 sets of plugs (I cant remember if I did 1 or 2 sets at my old house) in my 2011 in the 55k miles I have had it. Set I replaced last night had one cracked and was causing it to buck going up hills. Dont use E3 plugs they lasted 5k miles. NGK lasted 15k or so. I went back to the motorcraft plug this round to see if it lasts longer.

I just ordered a JLT can yesterday for it. I added a drain in the intercooler as well this week. about 5 oz of oil came out when I drilled the 1/16" hole, then put a screw in it to plug it up.

Wow, that's quite a few plugs. Are the plugs pretty easy to get to? I've heard that the plug boots need to be replaced when the plugs are replaced.

i'd get it dyno tuned after the downpipe and exhaust because you'll need someone to turn off the secondary 02s

I have to have catalytic converters here in Austin. Plus the sound of a six cylinder doesn't really appeal to me just yet. I'm sure Ill change my mind in the future. All my cars eventually end up with an exhaust.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Wife had a 13 Explorer sport. Didn't have any issues with plugs/condensation.
Only issue was a fluke thing with one of the heads. Just glad I didn't tune it before that issue occurred.

sleek98

Established Member
Wow, that's quite a few plugs. Are the plugs pretty easy to get to? I've heard that the plug boots need to be replaced when the plugs are replaced.

Pull the cover off, 8mm bolt on each COP. Wiggle the cop off and pull the plug. Takes me about 35 mins now assuming the plug boot doesnt stick on the plug. if it does it take a couple mins to get it out, and then I replace the boot. Replaced one last night. All of them are pretty easy to get to though.

Livernois Motorsports

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Don't forget about the tune!

OP - There are a lot of tuners out there, but I have had great experience with @Livernois Motorsports so they get my vote. If you think the truck has good get up and go now, just wait until you get a good tune on it!
Appreciate the mention! We do offer a very good tune setup for stock and for the vehicle with many other mods already in mind as well!

Users who are viewing this thread