Buying 1st Cobra - need advice ASAP

PBLA

Oxford White Cobra
Established Member
I recently sold my 66 coupe and have been looking at Mach 1's and Cobra's. A car came up yesterday but is quite a drive, so here's the story and please give opinions. Please keep in mind I'm not a mechanic. 2-owner triple black 1998 Cobra convertible, 115k on body, new topend. Story is buddy borrowed the car and over-revved. Seller had one head worked, all valves replaced, and new timing chain. Ran out of money and repaired valve cover with JB weld! Spoke to mechanic who did work and says his concern is remnants of valves and seats stopping up oil screen and toasting engine. There were pieces of plastic and aluminum found in pan. $4200, new tires, seems very clean, only mods are CAI, exhaust, and King Cobra clutch. - worth a chance? thanks

boatcop1

Established Member
Absolutley not worth it! there is too many nice cars out there with no "stories" to go with them. Sit tight and the right one will come to you. Good luck.

PBLA

Oxford White Cobra
Established Member
Thanks, I spoke just spoke to a friend who is a tad more mechanically inclined than me and actually drives a 98 cobra and he agrees. His concerns were the cost of any subsequent issues, especially if I'm not making the repairs myself. I didn't realize but, he also says simply dropping the pan at the next oil change for inspection isn't even an option, apparently that requires pulling the engine or dropping the suspension!

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
I honestly dont know that I would even pay 3500, i guess maybe, you'll end up dumping even more than that into if once that engine shit out on you!

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would avoid this one as there are other Terminators out there available. Don't settle for less than are looking for. It isn't worth the potential hassle. This is one reason it is so important to check there cars out as carefully and completely as possible. So many have been heavily modified with much of the labor done by the owner. Things happen. You just have to hope any mistakes aren't being hidden.

Read this from my website. Tips When Buying A Used 2003-2004 Cobra

sixt5

Established Member
if you dont mind me asking, what did you get out of your 66 and what condition/shape/specs was it? always good to keep track of the value of these things.

PBLA

Oxford White Cobra
Established Member
sixt5, I sold the 66 for 9250, the interior was completely new with center console and a/c, although is was inoperable all the parts were there. Paint was shiny but had rust bubbles on door. It was emberglo, but that wasn't the factory color, also had styled steel wheels and it was an A-code car. I don't regret selling, but I quickly realized I couldn't replace it for 9250!

So many say "pass", but I'm also looking at the same type car locally w/ 78k miles, unmolested, but it's more like 8500 obo! Twice the price.

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
So many say "pass", but I'm also looking at the same type car locally w/ 78k miles, unmolested, but it's more like 8500 obo! Twice the price.

a 98 cobra with those miles and that price is a JOKE! If I was you I would look here in the market section, you could find a 99-01 cobra for that price if you do some searching.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/cobras-buy-sell-244/730309-2001-cobra-86k-miles-indiana.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...730999-fs-ft-1999-black-coupe-cobra-8-5k.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/cobras-buy-sell-244/730196-97-cobra-6500-a.html

just look around, the right car will pop up eventually!

Users who are viewing this thread