Buy a Cobra or gt500 ?

Icecold

Established Member
Well sold my 03 cobra to pay off bills etc. Will be getting another hopefully next year but now am wondering to go with another cobra or go up to a gt500 for a decent price. I love the look of the 99-04s better but I have heard lots of people that have gone to the gt500s like them more due to being more sturdy feeling. I also have a bucket list with a 200mph run on the salt flats. From what ive read the gt500s dont have high speed problems like the cobras. Any and all insites good or bad is more then welcome. Would like to hear from both sides if I can cobra and gt500 owners.

Thanks.

rxpwhistler1

HP Junkie
Established Member
S197 vs. SN95

Well I was previously in the same boat as you, stuck between a GT500 or Terminator.

Prior to purchasing my 04 Cobra, I had a 2006 Mustang GT with bolt-ons. While it was no GT500, the platform was similar. This question is brought up on S197 forum often and those guys (great guys on that forum) all say that once you are used to the comfort of the S197 chasis/design/etc it is difficult to go back to the old SN95 feel.

I opted to get the Terminator as both cars are on my "must have" list. The GT500's are still easy to find and it seems as though the prices continue to decrease. I figured that since the Terminators are getting harder and harder to find with low miles, I would do the logical thing and get that first.

Now, since owning this car for over a month, I can honestly say I am very happy to be back in the SN95. I love the mechanical feel of these cars and don't miss whatsoever the electronic/comfortable feel of the S197. It's really personal preference. I feel less like I am driving the car, and more like the car is driving me in the newer Mustangs.

The GT500's are sweet, but the Terminator still holds as the baddest production Mustang ever made, and for good reason.

If you are not in a rush to buy I would suggest driving a GT500 for as long as you can before buying.

I personally would go with the Termi and get a GT500 in a couple years, as there will be no shortage.

Just my .02.

Either way you go, you will be driving a bad machine! :beer:

MiamiSnake

Established Member
I was in the same spot a few weeks ago and ended up with a Termi. Only about 15 thousand were ever made so the car will get much more rare as time goes on. To me the 03-04 Cobra will go down in history as one of the best ever made. Unless it's a 2013 GT500 I wouldn't bother but I plan to have both in my garage as collectors car so I am paying off the Terminator I just bought and will buy a used 2013 GT500 a ton less in a few years.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Before I bought my cobra it was between a used 11GT500, C6 Z06 and a Cobra. I could afford the more expensive two but wouldnt have money to mod like I do now with my Cobra. I love my cobra but still wouldnt mind having one of the other two. I'm more than fine with my cobra for now :rockon:

dom418

Established Member
If you have already owned a Terminator why not try something different? I wouldn't go older than a '11 GT 500 though. Have you driven the newer platform? That's the best way to decide. One car is smaller and more raw while the other is larger, more refined.

LETHAL03COBRA

Established Member
I was in the same spot a few weeks ago and ended up with a Termi. Only about 15 thousand were ever made so the car will get much more rare as time goes on. To me the 03-04 Cobra will go down in history as one of the best ever made. Unless it's a 2013 GT500 I wouldn't bother but I plan to have both in my garage as collectors car so I am paying off the Terminator I just bought and will buy a used 2013 GT500 a ton less in a few years.

I agree!!! 2013 in a few years to go along side my 03 Cobra. Best of both!!

Icecold

Established Member
Thanks guys or should I buy a notch ? Ive never owned one yet and can get one with a 351w for a decent price. Then wait 4-5 years and get a '13 ? Are notches fun to own ?

RDWHINE

Terminator
Established Member
Thanks guys or should I buy a notch ? Ive never owned one yet and can get one with a 351w for a decent price. Then wait 4-5 years and get a '13 ? Are notches fun to own ?

I own a fox body and a 04 cobra, well sold the fox a couple of days ago, but a fox is fun to drive. They really aren't expensive to build unless you're going to make it a full blown race car. My suggestion would to be just get a cobra and mod it up!:banana:

mridley03

Established Member
This won't go over well, but heres my opinion. I just purchased my first GT500. 2013. Previously owned 2 terminator's, one pullied, one whippled 2.3L.

Buy those clean terminator's all day long. Do not believe this 2013 hype.

The raw feel of the terminator like rxpwhistler1 stated, is what I prefer.

2013 = over priced, over hyped.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member

there were 19,440 produced in 03/04, coupes and convertibles..

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Well sold my 03 cobra to pay off bills etc. Will be getting another hopefully next year but now am wondering to go with another cobra or go up to a gt500 for a decent price. I love the look of the 99-04s better but I have heard lots of people that have gone to the gt500s like them more due to being more sturdy feeling. I also have a bucket list with a 200mph run on the salt flats. From what ive read the gt500s dont have high speed problems like the cobras. Any and all insites good or bad is more then welcome. Would like to hear from both sides if I can cobra and gt500 owners.

Thanks.

Visceral

vis·cer·al   [vis-er-uhl] Show IPA
adjective
of or pertaining to the viscera.
affecting the viscera.
of the nature of or resembling viscera.
characterized by or proceeding from instinct rather than intellect: a visceral reaction.
characterized by or dealing with coarse or base emotions; earthy; crude: a visceral literary style.

Origin:
1565–75; < Medieval Latin viscerālis, equivalent to viscer- ( see viscera) + -ālis -al

"After a third gear rip I had a feeling down in my very gut, that the Terminator was going to be the right car for me."

One of the last purely man driven performance cars.
No electronic handling nannies included.
The traction control it does have is practically worthless.

There will be time when people will long for cars that had that old raw feel, as long as it has good power.

Terminator Cobra........... CHECK!:rockon::beer:

topless03svt

Z06 HUNTER
Established Member
I currently have an 03 cobra vert. My best friend has an 09 gt500 coupe. Granted his car def makes more power (for now) I still enjoy the terminator much better. We have driven to several cruise in's and swapped back and forth. The terminator feels like more of "muscle car" and the gt500 feels like more of a fast " luxury car". Gt500 guys dont scold me for saying that. And dont get me wrong, the gt500 is a pure muscle car. But the 03 just has that feel. Terminator gets my vote!

SonicBlur2003

U.S.C.G.
Established Member
Not that i would have the money to upgrade to a GT-500 but i still love my choice with the 03 Cobra. I have driven up to GT-500s and vipers and i love the look of my car.

Only thing that I would do differently if i went back on it is that i would get a lower mileage car. Save the money and get a better looking car in my opinion in the 03. Good luck

Icecold

Established Member
Thanks I do also believe that the 99-04s look a lot nicer, i love the new bodies tho :) but not a fan of them being so big. Drive a cobra up next to a new 5.0 and your like WOW is that ever big... and you feel it on the inside as well. Funny thing about the rawness of the cobra I took my good buddie for a rip in it and he didnt think anything of it. Never suprised him or anything :( I was a little let down. Givin it was stock no pullie or anything but still. He thought my buddies tt 300zx was faster/felt faster :(. Also givin that his car is fast but was still behind half a car length or so. Next one I get has to be built and fast :) mucho power !!

2highpsi

Established Member
It has already been touched on but the choice boils down to this

RAW - Cobra

REFINED - GT500

I love the GT500s, but regarless of the HP level, the cars feel too "tamed" for my liking

Qwk GT

Established Member
I've owned both.

I had my reasons for getting another cobra. Probably most wouldn't agree with me.

I'd say drive both and make your decision.

333arod333

SVT Disciple
Established Member
There is no better car than this in the $20,000 price range, unless its a miracle or u build ur own ride custom the way u want it and have time to build it.

03terminator77

LacedWithVenom
Established Member
Thanks I do also believe that the 99-04s look a lot nicer, i love the new bodies tho :) but not a fan of them being so big. Drive a cobra up next to a new 5.0 and your like WOW is that ever big... and you feel it on the inside as well. Funny thing about the rawness of the cobra I took my good buddie for a rip in it and he didnt think anything of it. Never suprised him or anything :( I was a little let down. Givin it was stock no pullie or anything but still. He thought my buddies tt 300zx was faster/felt faster :(. Also givin that his car is fast but was still behind half a car length or so. Next one I get has to be built and fast :) mucho power !!

I raped my buddies tt 300zx earlier this year....throw a port, pulley, etc.. and then take him for another ride

Users who are viewing this thread