Burp intercooler system?

4601S/C

Established Member
I would think you could short out the pump (at the relay) and force it to run.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
I would think you could short out the pump (at the relay) and force it to run.

Do you mean pulling the fuse and using a wire to make the pump run? Otherwise I'm not sure. I know how you burp the fluid coming from the intercooler under the blower. But I'm not sure about the pump itself. I'd imagine I'd be similar. Just sucking the coolant trough the hose with either a pump or your mouth. :/

TRBO VNM

Do you mean pulling the fuse and using a wire to make the pump run? Otherwise I'm not sure. I know how you burp the fluid coming from the intercooler under the blower. But I'm not sure about the pump itself. I'd imagine I'd be similar. Just sucking the coolant trough the hose with either a pump or your mouth. :/

No, you pull the relay and jump two connections there to make it run. But that won't necessarily burp the system. The pump can just sit there and cavitate.

Using a pump of some sort like you mentioned on the upper res. hose or I use my snap on tool that I can pressurize the system with. It screws onto the stock res. and forces the fluid/air through the pump. I do hate trying to burp systems with the larger tanks on them and if they are filled with coolant.

I sent a pm to Steve at TF about getting a couple parts from him so I could make an adapter for his tanks to use my snap on tool, but I never heard back from him.

crazycarlo

Established Member
Im interested as well as Im about to fill the system on my eaton swap. Only difference is my pump will run all the time due to it being wired to a 12v source in my 98. I was going to try and fill everything as I put them together. The intercooler. HE, pump. That way they already have fluid on both sides of the pump.

SpectorV

Established Member
I tried forever to get air out, I finally had to unbolt my HE and turn it side to side to get the air out of it. On the initial try it pumped fine, then after letting it sit for a bit and try again nope.... wouldnt pump.

TRBO VNM

The other way to do it is pull the system down into vacuum and pull the coolant into the system. I do that with the engine and really never have to burp the system. But again, that is anothe snap-on tool I have and requires stock type cap connection.

JrSVT

Established Member
I've found that if you have a PFAB or similar, larger than stock IC reservoir that you can use a run of the mill garden hose and force water into the pump by putting the hose over the nipple down inside the IC tank. I have also done this on stock IC tank and had some success.

You most likely do not have any water moving through the IC system because it's airlocked. Once you force the water down to the IC pump (with the IC pump jumpered as previously stated) you should see water coming into the top of the IC tank and it may spit at you a few times until all the air is out of the system.

Jr.

hotcobra03

Established Member
mine is all stock..ive had times that it stopped flowing with pump running ,,

i have found to start over and pour slow as pump is on,,also you can run pump with jumper for awhile with cap off

back awhile ago my pump quit running...i tried everything and nothing...went to order new pump,,next day it was working and has been flawless since...pump is 7plus yrs old

racebronco2

Established Member
To burp the system here is what you need to do. Remove the hose going from the inter-cooler to the reservoir. Plug the nipple where you just removed the hose. Remove the cap, fill with water/anti-freeaze. Apply air pressure thru the cap. This will force air out of the system and once the water/anti-freeze starts coming out of the hose leading to the inter-cooler stop applying air pressure. The system is burped.

Bearden86

Established Member
To burp the system here is what you need to do. Remove the hose going from the inter-cooler to the reservoir. Plug the nipple where you just removed the hose. Remove the cap, fill with water/anti-freeaze. Apply air pressure thru the cap. This will force air out of the system and once the water/anti-freeze starts coming out of the hose leading to the inter-cooler stop applying air pressure. The system is burped.

Good explanation what are you using to pressurize the system?

10sec89

Established Member
^ I just used a short air gun with a rag wrapped around it to help seal the hole and applied a little pressure with the pump jumped, no issues at all. Just be ready to add more water as it empties the resv.

mike.b

Established Member
i had to massage the inlet hose ALOT to get it to finally flow. i eventually pulled it back off for a split second and forced air out that way.

ctubbs

Established Member
A few years ago when I did a blower swap I just blew air thru the hose going to the intercooler using my mouth. It's may be the redneck way, but it took 3 seconds and I didn't have to drag out any tools.

Users who are viewing this thread