Bumpstop Problems

5.0Moe

Established Member
So i have H&R SS Springs installed. 1.7" drop in the front 2.4" in the rear. I also have BMR LCA's and UCA/ Bracket installed with the pinion angle adjusted properly. When I installed my springs i cut the top half of my bump stops off for clearance. The problem is that I still only have about 3/4" suspension travel before the bump stops make contact. Does anyone know of aftermarket bump stops or if there is another route I can go to get some more clearance?

Sorry about the pic, its the best one I could get peeking through the wheel.
IMG_2078_zps1f39da7b.jpg

mycroft

Established Member
Cut them again.

These were the bumpstops supplied by Ford with my Boss T springs.

Excuse the potato quality of the photo.

ehbF2ln.jpg

5.0Moe

Established Member
That is not really that bad. Some cars are designed to ride the bump stops at ride height.

Yeah I wasnt worried when I installed everything but these bump stops are so hard. I bottom out on any decently sized bump that my rear hits. Maybe softer material bump stops would work

twistedneck

Established Member
I actually lowerd my car with steeda springs and added 1/2" nylon plate to make my bump stops taller.. this was to help stop rear end sag. i fixed the rear end sag under acceleration issue by adding a set of BMR control arm relocation brackets. thatks for the reminder now i'm going to get those spacers removed i only have about 1/2" of air gap between jounce bumper and body of the car at curb weight.

FYI I experimented with reduced height jounce bumpers last year.. I also had my rear suspension setup for 'pro squat' . no anti-squat in the rear what so ever. Result? the car squatted so hard on launch along with a huge twist of the axle forward that it smacked the upper control arm bracket area against stamped sheet metal bottom of the car! - Loud boom, and another louder boom when I grabbed second super hard.

Soon as I reduced the pro-squat problem solved. so you can add some anti squat to keep the rear from needing to make contact w/ the bumper so much...

Last edited:

5.0Moe

Established Member
I actually lowerd my car with steeda springs and added 1/2" nylon plate to make my bump stops taller.. this was to help stop rear end sag. i fixed the rear end sag under acceleration issue by adding a set of BMR control arm relocation brackets. thatks for the reminder now i'm going to get those spacers removed i only have about 1/2" of air gap between jounce bumper and body of the car at curb weight.

FYI I experimented with reduced height jounce bumpers last year.. I also had my rear suspension setup for 'pro squat' . no anti-squat in the rear what so ever. Result? the car squatted so hard on launch along with a huge twist of the axle forward that it smacked the upper control arm bracket area against stamped sheet metal bottom of the car! - Loud boom, and another louder boom when I grabbed second super hard.

Soon as I reduced the pro-squat problem solved. so you can add some anti squat to keep the rear from needing to make contact w/ the bumper so much...

The H&R Springs are very stiff, my car doesn't squat under acceleration. The problem was solved that a couple people have commented on already. The smaller FRPP Bump stops are also softer and don't make hard contact when the suspension travels. I will update the thread once I put those in, but other people are saying that it is the proper fix. After all, they do come on the boss and gt500

sloppymax

Established Member
I am pretty certain the FRPP were the same height as the OEM stops, just a softer material. This is going by recollection from a couple of years ago but I still chopped off the top piece to give adequate spacing.

5.0Moe

Established Member
I am pretty certain the FRPP were the same height as the OEM stops, just a softer material. This is going by recollection from a couple of years ago but I still chopped off the top piece to give adequate spacing.

Thats what I figured, still going to cut them to the lowest point like "mycroft" posted

Users who are viewing this thread