Bullitt Mustang - $50k - How the Duck do people afford crap?

CV355

_
Established Member
I'm not a gambling man, but I'd be willing to bet that 99 out of 100 guys that dress like this come from (old) family money, families that lean pretty right. That's not soyboy, that's Country/Yacht Club Conservative. However, there are the left leaners in this group, but they're not soys, they're PC (PC FOR YOU AND ME, WOO WOO)

My generation, on average, is terrible with money.

You're probably right. It's the effeminate characteristics that threw me off! Haha

CGLhawk260

Established Member
A lot people are leasing cars to keep the payments and property taxes down. If you live in CT the property taxes are very high for a new car/truck. I pay $1,500 per year for my Hellcat for a car i only use 6-8 months a year. My Hellcat is only worth $45,000 and i still pay $1,500.00 per year ridiculous!

coposrv

Established Member
I'm not a gambling man, but I'd be willing to bet that 99 out of 100 guys that dress like this come from (old) family money, families that lean pretty right. That's not soyboy, that's Country/Yacht Club Conservative. However, there are the left leaners in this group, but they're not soys, they're PC (PC FOR YOU AND ME, WOO WOO)

My generation, on average, is terrible with money.

Sent from my SM-G930T using the svtperformance.com mobile app

No way. I summer in the cape/islands and Newport RI the home of yuppie sailing life. Yeah you’ll see a lot of people dressed that way but to say 99/100 I would argue less than 10/100. Those dressed that way are just trying to look the part.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CV355

_
Established Member
A lot people are leasing cars to keep the payments and property taxes down. If you live in CT the property taxes are very high for a new car/truck. I pay $1,500 per year for my Hellcat for a car i only use 6-8 months a year. My Hellcat is only worth $45,000 and i still pay $1,500.00 per year ridiculous!

I understand your pain. I owned my Volvo for 2 months before I moved out of CT. I mailed my plates back, got a bill a month later for $350. For two months!!

That, and stupid Malloy's retroactive '11 tax bill. Stupid Dannel.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Not a fan of the rising interest rates along with the rising costs of cars, but w/e.

I'm sure a lot live beyond their means. Hell, I could of made better decisions in my 20's. Luckily, nothing bad happened when I was stretched thinner than I liked and the pay went up.

As much as I like fast cars, it's getting tougher for me to drop 40+k on a two seater with or without a back seat that can fit midgets.
It's easier for me to drop 40k+ on a truck, that can seat 5+, tow 10k+ etc.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Having debt as an investment (investment property) is okay, but I have an (new) aversion to car payments. Hence, my recent desire to buy another Fiesta ST, vice a $50K Jeep.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
I sort of agree. But I think you're forgetting there's a boat load of couples out there without kids.

We are getting married in September. Between the two of us, about 100k in income. We have a reasonable chunk left over after all of the bills are paid. House + insurance + car payments + student loans + everything else.

Once our cars are paid off and one of our student loans are paid off, we may go pickup the new S60 Volvo that just debuted as a baby wagon. But otherwise I'm done with car payments. They can keep the 50k dollar trucks. I don't need them

jmsa540

Established Member
I wonder it a lot too, but it's pretty simple when you think about it. A lot of people aren't saving at all or enough for retirement. They live paycheck to paycheck and are in serious debt. The banks are willing to finance the auto loans for 100% of their income and just keep extending the loan terms out. They advertise monthly payments over total cost so much that a lot of people probably don't even know what they really pay. All they care about is their monthly payment.
This...

Blows me away.

I have friends from highschool who don't even know what SSA is..or even how to check their balance.

If you even mentiones 401k to them, they'd laugh at you and look confused.

Sent from my SM-G892A using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
Our last new car was her '13 Explorer Sport that we just finished paying off. Even though we make great money together, she already knows we will never be spending money like that on a new car ever again. Worst financial decision ever as now it is worth less than half of what we paid for it and it only has 55K miles.

Coiled03

Established Member
Our last new car was her '13 Explorer Sport that we just finished paying off. Even though we make great money together, she already knows we will never be spending money like that on a new car ever again. Worst financial decision ever as now it is worth less than half of what we paid for it and it only has 55K miles.

It's only a bad decision if you get rid of it now.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I just keep looking around going, How the living hell can people buy and afford this crap. I'd be eating Ramen if I had a $1k car payment or had to pay $2k a month rent.

Dual income families perhaps. I'd be happy to only have $2k a month mortgage.

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Maybe I'm bad at math, but, how are 50K cars $1,000+ per month?

The ONLY way I can see that is if the person has a three year loan or they have a 20%+ interest rate and a short term loan.

Otherwise, a 50K car is NOT a $1,000 a month payment.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Maybe I'm bad at math, but, how are 50K cars $1,000+ per month?

The ONLY way I can see that is if the person has a three year loan or they have a 20%+ interest rate and a short term loan.

Otherwise, a 50K car is NOT a $1,000 a month payment.

Cars.com calculator fwiw:
$50,000 car
6% sales tax
4.25% Interest rate
60 month loan

=$982.07 note.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Leasing a vehicle is a ridiculous idea. You are throwing money away. There is no advantage that benefits the " long term renter".

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Not a fan of the rising interest rates along with the rising costs of cars, but w/e.

I'm sure a lot live beyond their means. Hell, I could of made better decisions in my 20's. Luckily, nothing bad happened when I was stretched thinner than I liked and the pay went up.

As much as I like fast cars, it's getting tougher for me to drop 40+k on a two seater with or without a back seat that can fit midgets.
It's easier for me to drop 40k+ on a truck, that can seat 5+, tow 10k+ etc.
One more reason I enjoy my old GT. I would rather have an older toy that is paid for, and a reliable truck to drive daily.

CGLhawk260

Established Member
I agree. I don't like leasing either, but if someone buys a truck for $50,000 you are going to pay $1,500 per year in taxes for a long time. It really sucks and over 50k you pay a luxary tax as well. When you lease you are only paying property tax on the portion of the car you are leasing. I bought my Hellcat and a leased my Charger. My son just got a tax bill for $380.00 for his 2009 F150 with 140,000 milage on the clock.

Leasing a vehicle is a ridiculous idea. You are throwing money away. There is no advantage that benefits the " long term renter".

Russo

Unofficial Glass Tech
Established Member
i like the Bullitt, but i wouldnt buy one new.. i'll wait 3 years for a Highland Green and pay $20k less...

Users who are viewing this thread