Bullitt Mustang - $50k - How the Duck do people afford crap?

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
you're not getting good benefits and

aside from skilled trades jobs that require a license like plumbing, electric, HVAC, truck driving..etc. General contracting and unskilled manual work has to be the worst type of job you can have. Crap pay, hazardous conditions, virtually zero chances of promotion/raises/bonuses.

Who in their right mind wants to sit on a roof on a 100 degree day for $10/hr when you can work in walmart stocking shelves in the A/C for $9/hr with benefits?
That is a good analogy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
We had a guy leave a few years back to pursue and off-short drilling job. He claimed he makes $150k a year to work 2 months. But, the two months are brutal.

I doubt he made that. Most do 6 months on, to make that. He could easily be making 20k+ a month

How does one get into these "oil jobs"?

rigzone.com good place to look.

Hell craigslist theres a shit load of openings.

Every single oil company that I know of is hiring right now

One of the big issues with Oil and Gas is the industry is very cyclical. Lots of open jobs paying good money with tons of over time, followed by lengthy lay offs. The other issue is the locations are often in desolate wastelands of America, the Dakotas, Alaska, off shore, etc.

You're very incorrect. I worked in oil in colorado and lived in Fort Collins. My company has jobs in 41 states, so I wouldn't call that " desolate wasteland" the BIGGER money jobs are in desolate wasteland sure... but in those jobs you work half the year, but many jobs in big cities pay over 100k

Wasnt the oil and gas industry in a "recession" the last few years?

Yesterday oil hit the highest it's been since 2014 @ 73 a bbl

Im back in the oil field. It's a rough ride. It's feast or famine. IMO if you cant swing a 4 year note comfortably, you dont need that vehicle. The hell with a 5-600 note for 6-7 years.

It depends on what you do. What I'm in isn't feast or famine

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Yea, we're all Harry Stamper! (eye roll)

thats the problem is everybody thinks oil field = oil rig.

I sit in a truck and look at numbers.

If anybody has any questions about the oil industry.. and all that. job wise. let me know. i've been in it about 5-6 years.. worked all ove the country and done quite a few different things

Last edited:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
One of the big issues with Oil and Gas is the industry is very cyclical. Lots of open jobs paying good money with tons of over time, followed by lengthy lay offs. The other issue is the locations are often in desolate wastelands of America, the Dakotas, Alaska, off shore, etc.

The stability in the oil field jobs are in the refineries.

04YellowGT

Established Member
What colleges, and even High Schools, need to be doing is giving kids some education on real-world things to help them understand how things really work. Just like the confusion of some on here how 401K's work. Teach classes on retirement, Roths, etc. In addition, how freaking car loans and mortgages work! We have an intern that asked me why I made the comment one day of trying to pay my house off faster. I told him to save on the interest over time. His reply, "What do you mean? Like, if I buy a car for $10,000 and interest is 4%, I just owe $10,400 total." Um, wrong buddy, that's how tax works, not interest. He was floored when I showed him how it really works.

100% Agree. One of the local school districts was looking to to adding curriculum similar to what you described to graduate along with a few different options for a senior project. The options for the senior project were to perform the standard research paper and speech, acquire a trades certification, or work / intern XX hours in an industry of your choosing. It Parents and local politicians were freaking out over this saying it was a waste and even one guy running for sheriff compared it to slavery by making kids work to graduate. He couldn't grasp it was an option not a requirement.

When my wife and I were dating she was absolutely clueless about savings, retirement, interest rates, and all the other important subjects of finance and life. She isn't the best now but she at least knows to ask me when she is unsure. We both have friends and co-workers who are in that boat too. At her new job my wife asked about their 401K and literally no one knew anything about it or were investing in it.

Well I can’t speak to your college experience. I graduated over a decade ago. All I can really add is that it’s up to the individual to get what they want out of whatever course they’re taking. You can skate by doing the bare minimum, or you can give it a real effort. It might not make a difference in college, but that kind of effort certainly shows in the real world. It’s real obvious in our line of work. And you’ll get called out quick if you’re one of those types.

Speaking to the women with two masters while working two jobs. I’d say that I don’t know her financial situation. Perhaps she’s supporting a family member or needs more money than her teaching job is offering for some other reason. I know lots of teachers with second jobs. Hell in the Bay Area they recently released an article that said 117k a yr for a family was considered low income in like three different counties. I’d bet there’s a lot of second jobs just to pay the bills. Hell, I commute about 50 miles each way to work in order to be in a position where I’m not house poor and am able to support my family. Either way, that hardly proves that a degree is useless. There’s exceptions to just about everything out there. My statement was addressing a broader idea.

I get where you are coming from and for the most part I have the same belief as you do. It's just some of my recent experiences are making me second guess that ideology. My fear is that if things continue the way they are, college won't necessarily hold that same value as it does today. It won't be sign of dedication, drive, and ability to learn. It will just show that that you were willing to spend $40k+ over 4+ years. I doubt STEM will ever fully fall into this but most other degrees easily could.

I totally agree with you, college, like most things in life, is all about what you put into it. I know guys with degrees that still work on the assembly line because they couldn't cut it in their field. Their lack of dedication in school finally caught up with them. I also know guys that graduated from ITT Tech that can work circles around guys from the big name colleges. What surprises me is how long some of these guys can keep a job with their poor performance.

As for the female teacher, she was a part time teacher while working full time at CVS. One degree was in women's studies while the other was some sort of English or interpretive writing. My point was that a degree in the wrong field isn't worth jack. My wife has a friend in almost the same boat except she has no degree because every time she gets to her senior year she changes her major. Shes over 30 and doesn't have a thing to show for it other than 10's of thousands of dollars of debt. That's a whole other story.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
I know for a fact without my degree (Communication/MIS) I wouldn't be in my position, making what I make now or living this lifestyle.

Even our entry level Helpdesk IT position requires a degree.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
What colleges, and even High Schools, need to be doing is giving kids some education on real-world things to help them understand how things really work. Just like the confusion of some on here how 401K's work. Teach classes on retirement, Roths, etc. In addition, how freaking car loans and mortgages work! We have an intern that asked me why I made the comment one day of trying to pay my house off faster. I told him to save on the interest over time. His reply, "What do you mean? Like, if I buy a car for $10,000 and interest is 4%, I just owe $10,400 total." Um, wrong buddy, that's how tax works, not interest. He was floored when I showed him how it really works.

When my wife was in the banking industry she volunteered at schools and taught classes through Junior Achievement about the practical things like that. From elementary school and simple things through high school and the importance of savings, etc etc. I always thought it was a worthwhile cause.

nickf2005

Established Member
When my wife was in the banking industry she volunteered at schools and taught classes through Junior Achievement about the practical things like that. From elementary school and simple things through high school and the importance of savings, etc etc. I always thought it was a worthwhile cause.
Should be mandatory for schools to offer something to help these kids out. I've had to understand how a mortgage works more times than I have the Pre-Cal they made me take.

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Should be mandatory for schools to offer something to help these kids out. I've had to understand how a mortgage works more times than I have the Pre-Cal they made me take.

Sent from my SM-G965U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

I just finished a college algebra class and the amount of confusion from classmates over the difference between simple interest, compounded interest, and continuously compounded interest was scary. Along with the fact that ~50% of the class was over 30.

But IIRC we did go over how loans work and other “life skills” in high school. Some people just choose to be ignorant.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread