built motor options

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
I am looking to put a built motor in my car when I bring it back out after winter. IS MMR the best place? I will eventually put a blower on it. I got a set of longtubes and a Naz ported Mach1 intake to go on it. I am not worried about crazy HP from a built motor w/o a blower or turbo. I am going to go with a blower when it is all said and done.

I am trying to decide if I need ported heads and stage 2 cams or if I should just go with a basic street mod 900. It is 6500 for the basic one or 11K for the one with cams and ported heads. Seems to me the extra 5 should just go towards a blower.

My final goal with a blower is 500 rwhp. If I get bored I will run more boost but I think 500 is the max for a street car. Thanks for the input

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
I wouldn't say MMR is the "best". This is a very subjective question and I am sure you will get many different answeres. I have an MMR "900" series or whatever and am happy. 2500-3000 miles so far and 18+lbs of boost and it runs great. Just make sure that you go with a REPUTABLE builder with good communication.

You will not need ported heads or cams to support 500rwhp with a blower. I would reccomend spending the money elsewere.

D's01Snake

Motor City Muscle
Established Member
I kinda piece parted my shortblock myself. But looking at all the parts they throw in the MMR900 shortblock, I would you say you cant go wrong.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
proline racing prices arent too much higher and i really like there quality above MMR. Also my theory on this kind of thing is have the shop who is going to install the motor and tune your car build the motor so the blame cant go anywhere but them if it isnt correct.

01BlueCobraVert

Established Member
I am installing the motor myself. I am looking for the best bang for buck long block. I don't feel like timing the cams is all. I got a great tuner so no worries there. Also, i was told by MMR there were no tekskids in 01. My block has the square pattern not the diamond pattern but they said that means nothing. Anyone know a definitve way to tell if it is or isn't. If it is, I will just re-use it instead of buying the current production one.

droptopsnake01

N/A FTW!
Established Member
if all you want is 500rwhp I wouldnt worry about heads and cams. Like you said, take the 5k you will save and apply that to the power adder, fuel system, drivetrain etc...

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I would say Modular Performance or Modular Power House over MMR but that's just my opinion..

racebronco2

Established Member
I am installing the motor myself. I am looking for the best bang for buck long block. I don't feel like timing the cams is all. I got a great tuner so no worries there. Also, i was told by MMR there were no tekskids in 01. My block has the square pattern not the diamond pattern but they said that means nothing. Anyone know a definitve way to tell if it is or isn't. If it is, I will just re-use it instead of buying the current production one.

They did make some teksids in 01, they were left-over blocks from 99. The teksids have 3 ribs on each side of the valley, squares are in the middle of the valley. The wap block has a horizonal rib with about 8 smaller ribs on each side with a diamond pattern in the middle.

Users who are viewing this thread