Build Thread : Project Crowdmower : Ford Chassis, Nissan Trans, And Chevy motor

96dreamer

Established Member
Looks like a fun build. For porting the heads I would recommend pick up one of these from harbor freight.
http://www.harborfreight.com/electric-die-grinder-with-long-shaft-44141.html
and one of these from amazon or somewhere similar
https://www.amazon.com/MLCS-9400-St...5787422&sr=8-9&keywords=120v+speed+controller
I used essentially the same setup and did my 4v heads and cobra lower with no experience and they turned out great.
20150409_120946_zpsl2oj7k5c.jpg

20150514_193232_zpsojzuavbp.jpg

20150208_210956_zpsjoa4pywu.jpg

20150210_210904_zpsfztihk37.jpg

Whole set up I had.
20150208_211446_zpshqfgbcdv.jpg
The grinder i used was a makita I borrowed from a previous coworker but i would have ended up with the harbor freight model had it not been available

laextreme5

Established Member
Porting. Porting. More Porting. Porting.

Thats my current situation lol. Thanks to the recommendation of a fellow member i picked up a few new tools that are really speeding up my process. Reason being is i only have a small compressor and it simply can't keep up with my air grinder. So i picked up a variable speed controller and an ''electric thinga-ma-jig" because i can't remember the actual name of it right now. This has sped of the process very much so, that i was able to get 2 more intake tracts roughed in along with the the rest of the combustion chambers on one head. (still need to clean the other before i even start on it). Only issue was the higher rpms and extremely long shank were causing the tip to flop all around. So i ended up having to trim it down a bit and it worked beautifully.

IMG_7991 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7992 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7993 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7994 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7995 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7997 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7999 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_8000 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_8085 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_8086 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_8088 by lawrx, on Flickr

I also have been lacking something to use to hog out on the exhaust ports to port match, so instead of ordering a flange i decided to order a full SS diy header kit, because frankly i wasn't happy that i cheaper out on a set of eBay knockoff junk.

IMG_8090 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_8091 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_8092 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_8094 by lawrx, on Flickr

I also picked up a few other parts. Some valve covers, which will get painted. They already make it much better looking. I also picked up a fox body manual steering rack, seeing as only flaming river makes a manual rack which is absurdly priced, i picked up said fox rack.

IMG_8095 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_8096 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_8098 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_8099 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_8100 by lawrx, on Flickr

laextreme5

Established Member
I also got the intake mani down to start on porting it as well. The mid rise consist of three parts, the base, the adaptor, and the plenum top. the base and the adaptor for whatever have 1/8'' overhang on one side of each of the 4 ports. its stupid. So yay more work porting. Since I'm doing that i plan on cleaning up the casting on the upper plenum piece. Lets just hope all this adds up and makes decent power for what it is,

IMG_8101 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_8102 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_8104 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_8107 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_8108 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_8108 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_8111 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_8112 by lawrx, on Flickr

laextreme5

Established Member
Ive been slammed with work the last week or so. Tornado hit New orleans East (About an hour south of us) and weve had cars just rolling in nonstop with damage coming ion for repairs. It s Monday and ive got 4.5 hours of overtime already (thats ALOT for my position lol) so needless to say i havent time do to much of anythign to the car.

I did however do the COMPLETELY rational thing (it makes sense i swear) and bought another project. Its destined to be the tow rig for the mustang. Was too good a deal to pass up.

http://www.stanceworks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97329

laextreme5

Established Member
So bit of an update. Haven't touched the mustang since the last post. Still slammed with work from the tornado, slammed with on the side alignments and suspenion installs with the weather warming up and show season starting around here.

With that being said the mustang is going into a short term temp. hibernation. Buddy of mine helped me move it to his dads property a few miles away. Reason being as I've been getting flack from the HOA (TRUST ME I KNOW) and on top of bringing home the f100 the driveway has gotten a bit crowded. So the mustang has been moved until i can finish the AE86 that is currently taking up residence in my garage. Once its done and moved to the shop for paint then the mustang will b coming home. In the mean time ill be stacking up cash to order some more parts. Current plan is to continue porting the heads when i get a spare minute every now and then and wrap up the motor, including the valvetrain componets i need to purchase so that when the chassis is ready to come home the motor is ready to drop in and mockup for the motor plates and header construction.

untitled (1 of 1) by lawrx, on Flickr

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I love the attention to detail, been in the GM and Ford worlds for years and thought I had seen it all, but my hat's off to you, inspiring work!

laextreme5

Established Member
I promise I haven't forgotten about ole girl. Still working on that corolla in my garage. In the meantime I've picked up a few parts here and there.

First up is a another set of heads. Decided porting the 862s was just taking too much damn time, and time is my enemy. So I picked up a set of 243's. All I'm going to do to them is port match the exhaust ports to the manifolds. I also picked up some arp heads bolts, balancer bolt, and intake mani bolt kit. Just som odds and ends I need. recently got an account with a wholesale parts distributor so I ordered them for my first open order. Also pick up some BNIB trunion upgrade kit for the stock rockers. And lastly nab da throttle body off a friend who didn't need it. Ill upgrade it down the line but for now this will do.

new computer (1 of 7) by lawrx, on Flickr

new computer (2 of 7) by lawrx, on Flickr

new computer (3 of 7) by lawrx, on Flickr

new computer (4 of 7) by lawrx, on Flickr

new computer (5 of 7) by lawrx, on Flickr

new computer (6 of 7) by lawrx, on Flickr

new computer (7 of 7) by lawrx, on Flickr

My wife also surprised me this past week with an early birthday present. iMac 27'' 5k computer. Ive been editing and such off her 8 year old 13.5'' macbook pro for years now for pictures. Its awesome to finally have a decent large screen to edit on. This also means I can try my hand at a bit of video. The MacBook wouldn't run any video software as it has so much shit on it.
new computer (1 of 2) by lawrx, on Flickr

new computer (2 of 2) by lawrx, on Flickr

laextreme5

Established Member
Mustang will be coming home soon!

My garage has been vacated and I now have space to bring it home. In leu of that Im using the excess fence post I chopped off to build some car stands to get the car off the ground and easier to work on till I pick up a small portable lift.

Thats all for now but there will be more progress being made in the coming weeks.

new computer (1 of 8) by lawrx, on Flickr

new computer (2 of 8) by lawrx, on Flickr

new computer (3 of 8) by lawrx, on Flickr

new computer (4 of 8) by lawrx, on Flickr

new computer (5 of 8) by lawrx, on Flickr

new computer (6 of 8) by lawrx, on Flickr

new computer (7 of 8) by lawrx, on Flickr

new computer (8 of 8) by lawrx, on Flickr

bb83

I like gays
Established Member
Damn, I was diggin this thread till I saw you bought a Mac :(

laextreme5

Established Member
Snuck a few more hours work in tonight.

On my lunch break at work today I ran to lowes and got some more 4x4 to finish building my stands. Ole trusty daily with the roof rack worked perfectly. Who needs a truck anyway?

Once home I decided to forget building stands and finish installing the trans adaptor for the CD009 trans. If you don't remember the process involves cutting off the majority of the stock bell housing on the trans. They give you a precise measurement of where to cut, however this leaves a large 1/4" gap. Not having that. So I cut it a little short, and then mocked up adaptor, grinned some more. Rinse. Repeat, until she fits perfectly and there is a 1/16'' gap all the way around. Im pleased with that. With the trans case suitably trimmed it was time for final install of the adaptor.

Due to how the adaptor fits the t56 bell housing must be bolted to the adaptor before the adaptor is bolted to the trans. With the bellhosuing and adaptor combined its as simple as bolting that assembly to the trans and your all set. Now I just need a TOB and clutch assembly. The only issue I had with the whole install was 3 holes that the adaptor bolts to the bell housing with were ever so slightly off and needed to be opened up a bit to get the bolt threaded.

new computer (1 of 10) by lawrx, on Flickr

new computer (2 of 10) by lawrx, on Flickr

new computer (3 of 10) by lawrx, on Flickr

new computer (4 of 10) by lawrx, on Flickr

new computer (5 of 10) by lawrx, on Flickr

new computer (6 of 10) by lawrx, on Flickr

new computer (7 of 10) by lawrx, on Flickr

new computer (8 of 10) by lawrx, on Flickr

new computer (9 of 10) by lawrx, on Flickr

new computer (10 of 10) by lawrx, on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread