Build Thread : Project Crowdmower : Ford Chassis, Nissan Trans, And Chevy motor

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Although the prices really cant go much higher as they are only 1700 new from Nissan.

The question is for how much longer? The 370Z is nearly a decade old and there is no replacement on the horizon.

Once out of production prices will skyrocket just like they did for the R154.

laextreme5

Established Member
that's the supra tax at work brotha

ever priced out a Built R154?

I have not, although a stock used on isnt priced all that high. But yes, supra tax is a bitch. Id still love to own a mk4 one day.

The question is for how much longer? The 370Z is nearly a decade old and there is no replacement on the horizon.

Once out of production prices will skyrocket just like they did for the R154.

The used market maybe, although factory prices i doubt will move any. Maybe go up in time with inflation, but no substantial suudden increase.

Zemedici

Established Member
I have not, although a stock used on isnt priced all that high. But yes, supra tax is a bitch. Id still love to own a mk4 one day.

Oh me too, I was trying like hell to get one vs my current 03, then I realized that daily driving a car like that mayyyyy not be the smartest idea, so I'm going to build one on the side. Just wanna get a daily first.

laextreme5

Established Member
Spent a little time over the Christmas holiday tearing down the front of the car. really not happy with what i found. The rad support is ****ED. Front end was in quite the impact. Ill be taking the car to work at some point and putting it on our frame machine to measure and out the rail to make sure everything is square. For now I'm just going to beat everything straight and weld it together for a little bit more rigidity than it currently has. Not going to spend a ton of time on it as ill be doing a tubular from end come turbo time.
untitled (1 of 11) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (2 of 11) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (3 of 11) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (4 of 11) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (6 of 11) by lawrx, on Flickr

After checking out the damage, i got to business dropping the car off jack stands. The UPR control arms still dont fit, so just took out the bushings and hand tightened the nuts on, good enough while it sits till i get new arms before it runs.

untitled (5 of 11) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (7 of 11) by lawrx, on Flickr

Also since i had it on the ground i checked out the new subframe ground clearance. For now its good, once i have more weight in it we will see how it fares. Also, here is a 15x4 vs a 19x12... lol

untitled (8 of 11) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (9 of 11) by lawrx, on Flickr

Also pulled the driver side carpet back to check the mouting area of where the titlton pedal box will be. Nice and flat, thats going to work out perfectly.

untitled (10 of 11) by lawrx, on Flickr

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
The used market maybe, although factory prices i doubt will move any. Maybe go up in time with inflation, but no substantial suudden increase.

When Nissan stops making them you'll simply not be able to buy them factory new at any cost.

laextreme5

Established Member
Pulled the motor out of the car today. STi motor is finally off the motor stand, so i could mount my motor on it and get to work on it. Tonight taped her up and painted the block semi gloss black. Did a half ass tape job over the front and rear main covers as they will be getting pulled off, cleaned and painted anyway.

untitled (1 of 14) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (2 of 14) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (3 of 14) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (4 of 14) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (5 of 14) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (6 of 14) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (7 of 14) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (8 of 14) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (9 of 14) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (10 of 14) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (11 of 14) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (12 of 14) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (13 of 14) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (14 of 14) by lawrx, on Flickr

ACoulter08

Established Member
WOW! Your attention to detail is amazing! This is almost exactly what I am wanting to do with my 2000 V6 eventually. Figured it would be nice to have 2 Mustangs One with the 4v Eaton and the Other with some type of LS powered motor. I will probably end up going with an LQ4. But I am looking forward to seeing more an more of this build! Keep up the great work!

laextreme5

Established Member
Im loving these three day weekends, i actually have some time to get things done

To start off this weekend i had a budy come by to hang for a bit and show off his latest project. He's also the owner of the fox thats getting turbo LS swapped as well thats popped up in here a few things. He is also the one i purchased my car from. He wanted to try the drag pack 275s and skinnies on the front to see how the fit while he was over. This was actually the first time id seen the tire off the car, looks much larger when not underneath the car lol

untitled (1 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (2 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (3 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (21 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

After the test fit we did a bit more teardown on the motor. Pulled the lifter trays, the lifters, and the stock trunk crank pulley. We ended up having to run to the parts store to get a handheld torch to heat the bolt up to get it off. Ive been meaning to get one say it finally gave me an excuse to go pick one up finally.

untitled (4 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (5 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (6 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (7 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (9 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

With the crank pulley finally off, i could get the timing cover off for access to the oil pump and the cam. the new cam, some gaskets and bolts and tools to degree the cam are currently on the way and should be here soon. I also now see the reason they say to change an LS cam in the dark lol bit of copper showing on the cam bearings, all in the same orientation on the bearings i can easily see. Did a bit of research and its very common, plenty of people have dropped in a new cam with zero issues. However, the next motor which will have forged internals and the like ill be changing out all the bearings and such given the extra stress it will be under.

untitled (11 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (12 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (13 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

After getting those few parts removed i took a minute to take a rag with some d40 to wipe a bit of surface rust that had built up on the cylinder walls. Have to say, for this motor having 190k its in pretty damn good condition. Still were well looking factory cross hatches on the walls, very little sludges build up anywhere. there was some build up in the intake ports in the heads, but thats to be expected. After that, thats about it teardown wise on the short block. Once the new parts come in i can start the reassembly phase, which should be fun. Cant wait to see this thing all clean, painted and assembled.

untitled (10 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (6 of 7) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (30 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

laextreme5

Established Member
With the timing cover and the lifter valley cover off for good for a while, i gave them a good thorough cleaning, dont want any debris falling off aft handling them off the motor, and gave em a few coats of black to match the block. Going for a mostly blacked out theme on the motor. Think its going to look pretty sweet. Still not sure what I'm going to do with the cylinder heads, keep them as cast silver finish or shoot them black as well. guess i will mock up everything and come to that conclusion then. In the meantime i also started to clean them a but more. Im going to be doing a bit of cleaning up and port work on both the intake and exhaust ports so i wanted them as clean as possible so as they dont clog up my tools.

untitled (14 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (15 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (16 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (17 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (18 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (19 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (20 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (22 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (23 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (24 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (25 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (26 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (27 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (28 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

untitled (29 of 30) by lawrx, on Flickr

laextreme5

Established Member
Had a few parts roll in this week. Some tools, the cam, gaskets, and some arp hardware. I also had a kit to start porting on the heads.

IMG_7690 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7691 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7693 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7694 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7696 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7698 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7702 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7703 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7704 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7706 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7707 by lawrx, on Flickr

Once everything was unpacked and made sure everything was there, i started the install. Got the cam in, the timing chain, and cam degreed.

IMG_7709 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7712 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7714 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7715 by lawrx, on Flickr

With the cam degreed, i had to check the piston to valve clearance. The intake valve is fine, but the exhaust valve is just too close. So ill have to fly cut the pistons a bit. nothing majors, a few hundreths, but enough that something needs to be done.

IMG_7718 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7719 by lawrx, on Flickr

laextreme5

Established Member
Just an FYI, WRX bov springs work great as check springs haha

IMG_7721 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7722 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7723 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7724 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7725 by lawrx, on Flickr

With the cam in, piston to valve clearance checked and everything set, i threw the timing cover and oil pan on.

IMG_7726 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7727 by lawrx, on Flickr

So this is my first time porting a set of heads, so go easy on me. Wasn't able to get much done at all, really just started roughing in the intake port. But so far I'm satisfied with the outcome. Def more practice and better results to come.

IMG_7728 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7731 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7737 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7735 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7740 by lawrx, on Flickr

laextreme5

Established Member
Been piddling with the motor on off this week when have time. Friend of mine came over and wanted to see the motor fully dressed. So i decided to throw the intake and water pump on to see what it all looks like. While we were at it decided to cut out a rough size of the turbo ill be running in the future, to see if my plan will work. And from the looks of it ill barely have an 1'' to spare. everything will work out perfectly, and ill have less than a foot of charge piping while still using a intercooler. Which is awesome.
IMG_7744 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7749 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7750 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7752 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7753 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7742 by lawrx, on Flickr

Early in the week my unterminated harness arrived from megasquirt. Once i had made sure everything was there i started to sort and label all the wires. The names were printed on the wires themselves, but are so god damn small i just made it easier on myself and made much easier to read larger labels i can look at at a glance and know what it is. With all the laebling done i grouped all the wires into similar actions. All the injectors, all the sparks, all the out puts, inputs etc. Still need to figure out what I'm going to be about a fuse box. Haven't figured that out just yet.

IMG_7754 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7756 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7758 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7760 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7761 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7762 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7763 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7764 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7766 by lawrx, on Flickr

laextreme5

Established Member
And of course the latter part of the week I've been continuing the porting. So far i have completed one intake port and one combustion chamber. Moving a little slow, as one its my first time and two my small compressor can't keep up and will likely burn up if it tries, so I've been using mh cordless drill. While it works it doesn't have nearly the speed required to take off large amounts of material in a timely fashion. It is however great for minor detail work with the cutting bits at lower speeds. Basically all I've done is removed the rocker bolt hump, smooth out the area around the valve guide, and smooth the walls out. with the combustion chamber i simply removed all hard edges, unshrouded the valves a bit. I used the head gasket as a templet for how much i could remove, and then smoothed out the whole combustion chamber, So far to me it looks pretty damn good. I know there are some areas i can improve on, and now that I've kinda figured out a process of what all I'm going to remove where i can do th rest in a much quicker fashion. ESP. after i find an alternative to using my cordless drill lol

IMG_7770 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7772 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7769 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7775 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7777 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7781 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7783 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7784 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7785 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7787 by lawrx, on Flickr

laextreme5

Established Member
Not a whole lot has been going on lately. Did a bit more porting on the heads one or two nights. really just been busy with work and such.

Over this weekend a friend of mine and i swapped rear ends. We had come to the conclusion that my 4.10s are way to short for the CD009 ratios and his 3.08s were way too long for his intended use. luckily my 4.10s were exactly what he was looking for and his 3.08 was exactly what i was looking for. SO needless to say the swap worked out perfect. my original plan was to just run the 4.10s and deal with it while NA as my next plan of attack was a 9'' swap. Thats still the plan its juts now pushed back till the big turbo power comes.

IMG_7950 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7951 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7954 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7955 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7958 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7962 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7964 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7970 by lawrx, on Flickr

While i had the rear end out and the car up i decided to drop out the fuel tank. Frees up quite a bit of room and gave me a good view of what all i can cut when I'm ready to put the fuel cell in.

IMG_7963 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7971 by lawrx, on Flickr

While finishing up blaine car i decided to take a few shots of the cars in the driveway since it was that "golden hour" every photographer loves

IMG_7964 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7967 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7968 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7972 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7976 by lawrx, on Flickr

IMG_7978 by lawrx, on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread