BS Electrical Engineering, Should I?

shurur

Established Member
If you got the time to dedicate to the classes, do it.
I wasn't the best at the advanced math classes(found them to lack any real world value) but the actual engineering classes were great.

Some of the courses require a lot of homework/self teaching so just prepare for long nights while still working-which at times you travel to locations, right?

Civil Engineer here. Retarded when it comes to anything electrical though

If you get the degree, do you have a PE over you so you can gain "Experience" to take the FE and then the PE exams?
Saw you want to possibly be a consultant in the future
Absolutely agree with the long hours and self teaching.

Getting in study groups helps, but is hard if you are not living on campus.

They will load you up with work just to see if you can take the pressure. You are being constantly evaluated.

Also knowing were the practice tests are helps. Most engineering practice test are at the front desk at the engineering library. I learned this on my last semester. It was a well kept secret. All my tests were done cold.

As far a engineering vs math courses go,
I was the opposite, hated the tech electives, loved the higher math.

I took extra math courses. Proofs was required gateway course, linear algebra, three dimensional calc, calc with imaginary numbers...

I was about to transfer to the math department. I only graduated with a BSEE because they counted my maths as tech electives.

It is why I can teach HS math and not just physics with my degree. I have a virtual minor in math.

Getting your degree will help you find out more about yourself.

Last edited:

IA Shelby

Established Member
I admire anyone who is a continuous learner. I focused my time developing my skills and leadership on the job. I never went back for an advanced degree after graduating with my Econ degree. I was promoted several times over colleagues who were busy getting their MBA’s, JD’s etc. When they finished I was their leaders leader. I was fortunate to work for large companies that prioritized talent and results over academic credentials. I would never discourage anyone from getting additional education but I don’t believe it is a requirement to achieve your long term goals.

shurur

Established Member
I admire anyone who is a continuous learner. I focused my time developing my skills and leadership on the job. I never went back for an advanced degree after graduating with my Econ degree. I was promoted several times over colleagues who were busy getting their MBA’s, JD’s etc. When they finished I was their leaders leader. I was fortunate to work for large companies that prioritized talent and results over academic credentials. I would never discourage anyone from getting additional education but I don’t believe it is a requirement to achieve your long term goals.
I took macro and micro economics, business stats and half a semester of world banking. I had to drop the latter because I was falling behind in engineering.

For the same reason, I also had to drop a playwright class that is usually only offered to theater majors. I still regret dropping that one.

My advisor would close his eyes and raise his pen when he saw me coming toward him in the hall, ready to sign some add-drop form.

Last edited:

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
If you have the time to commit, I'd do it! It doesn't sound like you are actively looking for a new job, but one thing to consider is that some companies that offer programs like this want a return on their investment, i.e. X number of years of service after degree completion.

With that being said, I work for a power company, and we are CONSTANTLY hiring engineers.

ZiaRunner

Established Member
Anything worthwhile takes work. For you it will be and it’s free! Go for it and don’t look back!

Good luck with all the higher level math courses.

Users who are viewing this thread