Broken head cover bolt

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
So, I was using a torque wrench for the first time. It worked fine on my plugs, but it didn't "click" at the setting of 10 for the head cover bolts and I broke one in there. I tried to stick the head back on and unscrew it but it just won't stick on. I tried to drill it but it's too tough to drill. Do you guys have any suggestions on what to do with it? The cover will stay on with just the other bolt, but I would like to have both bolts on if possible.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Only thing I can thing of is drilling in and using an easy out. I personally just snug the bolts on the plug covers.

gchronis

Get used to avatar
Established Member
What's an easy out? I'm sorry about my ignorance here. I've never snapped a bolt before.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by gchronis
What's an easy out? I'm sorry about my ignorance here. I've never snapped a bolt before.
Its basically like a tap, but its reverse threaded. You drill a pilot hole in center of broken bolt. The "easy out" is reverse threaded so you screw it into the hole ya drilled and it will snug up and when it does it turns out the broken bolt.....ideally. Being they are pretty small and how hard you cranked it in an easy out may or may not work but thats where I would start.

JDV

Rsrved 4 sumthin clever
Established Member
Ive seen autozone eazy outs break before. Go with Craftsman type. Much higher quality.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Benaa
Ive seen autozone eazy outs break before. Go with Craftsman type. Much higher quality.
I agree with the Craftsman recommendation. Good quality stuff!

NWUCIT

Established Member
Hey George,

How did the Magnaflow install go?....How do you like them?

Users who are viewing this thread