Broke something in the rear need advice on upgrading.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Are you joking?

A radial tire has a much stiffer sidewall then a bias ply slick tire. By running drag radials you have alot greater chance of breaking something on a manual trans car with high RPM launchs.

I dont need to call a tire company to talk to someone about basic ****ing knowledge.

Dammit, you ninja edited me. Lol

86merc

Established Member
Can you elaborate? Would you say its streetable?

Lockers are streetable. But as mentioned they take a little while to get used to. Under acceleration they lock. When not accelerating they unlock. So every gear change with a manual trans it is locking and un locking. But you can tell it pushes the car funny as one tire pushes, coasts and pushes again. In a strait line it isn't very noticeable. Only pushes slightly. But in turns can be tricky.

When locked it is like a spool. Both tires spin at the same speed. So it is like a spool. This pushes the car strait. So you have to over compensate to make the turn versus what you would using a posi. Now lets say you are taking a long sweeping turn like on a expressway exchange. So you have to over compensate with the steering wheel under load. Now you slightly lift off the gas. No the locker unlocks and only one wheel is putting power down. Now your over corrected steering and unlocked locker throws the car into a harder turn. So you have to be aware you are changing the locker and have to correct the steering wheel accordingly. But now you have to speed up. You hit the gas while still in the curve. Now the locker locks and the car wants to go strait. So you have to change the steering wheel again to follow the turn.

It is something you get used to. But you can still be caught by surprise once in a while. I did not enjoy the locker in my other car when I had the manual trans in it. With the auto the locker didn't lock and unlock nearly as often.

Also, someone mentioned 33 and 35 spline axles. People thinking of running a 35 spline axle in a 8.8 should be aware that the material on the limited slip case gets pretty thin. I have seen a few crack the case there. 33 spline is probably fine for most people anyways. If you NEED a 35 spline axle you probably need to upgrade to a stronger rear end, like a 9"

Illtaketwlight

Established Member
Lockers are streetable. But as mentioned they take a little while to get used to. Under acceleration they lock. When not accelerating they unlock. So every gear change with a manual trans it is locking and un locking. But you can tell it pushes the car funny as one tire pushes, coasts and pushes again. In a strait line it isn't very noticeable. Only pushes slightly. But in turns can be tricky.

When locked it is like a spool. Both tires spin at the same speed. So it is like a spool. This pushes the car strait. So you have to over compensate to make the turn versus what you would using a posi. Now lets say you are taking a long sweeping turn like on a expressway exchange. So you have to over compensate with the steering wheel under load. Now you slightly lift off the gas. No the locker unlocks and only one wheel is putting power down. Now your over corrected steering and unlocked locker throws the car into a harder turn. So you have to be aware you are changing the locker and have to correct the steering wheel accordingly. But now you have to speed up. You hit the gas while still in the curve. Now the locker locks and the car wants to go strait. So you have to change the steering wheel again to follow the turn.

It is something you get used to. But you can still be caught by surprise once in a while. I did not enjoy the locker in my other car when I had the manual trans in it. With the auto the locker didn't lock and unlock nearly as often.

Also, someone mentioned 33 and 35 spline axles. People thinking of running a 35 spline axle in a 8.8 should be aware that the material on the limited slip case gets pretty thin. I have seen a few crack the case there. 33 spline is probably fine for most people anyways. If you NEED a 35 spline axle you probably need to upgrade to a stronger rear end, like a 9"

Thanks, your dead on. I just try and make sure I don't let off or shift in turns. Keep it locked up.

Users who are viewing this thread