Broke My Solid Rear-End

dgreer27

Established Member
Finally got to take the car to the track tonight. Did a good burnout on drag radials. Light turned green and tried to launch at 3000 and it didn't do nething but break. Had to have a friend drive me an hour back home to get my truck and trailer and go back for the car! This sucks! Not sure what broke yet, but I'll tear it apart tommorrow. What are you guys doing to make these rear-ends hold up? It sounds like either the posi or ring gear gave away.:fm:

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
The 28 spline axles do not like a good launch on a sticky track. Seen more than a few fail at launch.

dgreer27

Established Member
Just tore my rear-end down today. Snapped the drivers side axle and knocked three teeth off the Ring grear! :shrug: Guess im gonna be ordering a some 31 spline's and a new locker and think im gonna step down to a 3.90 gear.

mach1033

Established Member
Wow I would just shoot this guy that sold you that car lol. He went through all that trouble of putting in SRA and left it with stock guts. :bash: I think 373's would be good with a tru trac and 31 spline.

Jroc

Established Member
A built 9" from Moser, Strange, Currie, etc would most likely cure your breaking rearend problems.

Steve2050

Established Member
It must be put together wrong. I'm running an 8.8 with 33 spline Strange axles and 4.30 gears and 1.33 60 ft and never a problem with over 200 hard passes at over 1000 rwhp. Get a pro to look at it.

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
It must be put together wrong. I'm running an 8.8 with 33 spline Strange axles and 4.30 gears and 1.33 60 ft and never a problem with over 200 hard passes at over 1000 rwhp. Get a pro to look at it.
Apples to oranges. He has/had stock axles

If its a stock solid rear, there is your reason.

I would lean more toward the drag radials bieng "the reason". I have seen and personnaly had stock 8.8s hold up to 6000RPM dumps on slicks MANY, MANY times.

I have also broken 2 8.8s with softer launches on MT DR's. The slicks will hook harder, but also absorb a lot of the shock because of the softer sidewall. Dr's also tend to cause axle hop, which is usually what MURDERS rear end components.

A reliable, streetable upgrade is a set of moser 31spl axles and an eaton differential. Welding the tubes is a hit or miss deal. If not done right, it WILL tweak the tubes. Do not bring it to some exhaust shop and ask for them to put a bead around the axle tubes. It needs to be done right.

Last edited:

Lights of Speed

can i has 9's?
Established Member
wow, i went to the track yesterday and did maybe 10 hard dumps on my stock mach 1 rear but i was on slicks. dr's are hard on rear ends at the track.....

DanielB

WHPPLD
Established Member
I have broken the axle tubes on 2 different 8.8's. Make sure you get them welded correctly.

I have 31 spline mosers, trac lock, 3.73's, TA girdle.

Just got mine back yesterday and it is fully braced now!

dgreer27

Established Member
Haha. I learned that the hard way. I ordered slicks last week but havent gotten them yet. Probably wouldve broke either way. Something must have been wrong before and the sticky track found it for me. :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread