Bridgestone Potenza tires

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Yeah thats what I was thinking as well. Just waiting for my new CC so I can place the order.

My buddy ran the 500's on his FiST too after I got my set, said they were great on his car but they didnt hold up to extreme road course as well as another tire he ran previously (I dont recall what it was).

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I hit one last weekend that I was SURE had cracked a rim, but they were still in one piece. Either way I have curbed the stock rims to shit so im swapping to a smaller size. Have heard 16's are the best compromise between performance and comfort, as an added bonus tires on 16's are cheaper as well. 16's with a 42mm offset and 205/45's are stock height and sit flush

I have the full Cobb stage 3 kit on mine as well so I am hoping a bit stickier tire and a little more sidewall will translate to a bit more hook up in first and second gear.

My car is still stock and it is my DD as well but would you recommend the Cobb stage 3?

1996slowbra

Established Member
My car is still stock and it is my DD as well but would you recommend the Cobb stage 3?

Totally, at the very least I would do the stage one, which should maintain your warranty, thats the access port, drop in filter and the rear motor mount, which is mandatory IMO.

If you do decide to go stage three make sure you get a better tune from stratified or some other e tuner, the OTS map from Cobb is super conservative.

Just an FYI if you drive in really hot climates I would also recommend you replace the radiator, the stock unit sucks and the car goes into limp mode if you are doing spirited driving in anything over 90 ish degrees ambient.

1996slowbra

Established Member
My buddy ran the 500's on his FiST too after I got my set, said they were great on his car but they didnt hold up to extreme road course as well as another tire he ran previously (I dont recall what it was).

I MIGHT do an Auto X event at some point, but mostly it will be ferrying my fat ass to the train station and driving out of town on weekends.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Totally, at the very least I would do the stage one, which should maintain your warranty, thats the access port, drop in filter and the rear motor mount, which is mandatory IMO.

If you do decide to go stage three make sure you get a better tune from stratified or some other e tuner, the OTS map from Cobb is super conservative.

Just an FYI if you drive in really hot climates I would also recommend you replace the radiator, the stock unit sucks and the car goes into limp mode if you are doing spirited driving in anything over 90 ish degrees ambient.

Is the car significantly faster with the stage 3 and proper tune?

I live in the Seattle area so hot weather is not much of a concern usually lol.

1996slowbra

Established Member
Is the car significantly faster with the stage 3 and proper tune?

I live in the Seattle area so hot weather is not much of a concern usually lol.

Yes it is significantly faster, they did a full stage 3 + tune in our same car on smoking tire and it made 50lbs more torque than stock, and about 25 HP over stock as well.

I mean the car still isnt fast, but it is a blast to drive around town because the torque from about 1500-4000 rpm really throws you back in your seat, and on twisty shit its fun too because it pulls you out of corners.

If you want to actually make the car fast fast you need a hybrid turbo like an X67 or Mountunes MRX, but doing that you are giving up low end torque to have power all the way to redline. And I personally dont want to sacrafice the reliability I would be losing going that route.

For going fast in a straight line I have the cobra anyways.

Edit: Here is the video if youre interested, I actually misremebered, it gains 25hp and 50lb ft at the wheels, pretty impressive imo. The cobb Exhaust sounds really good too, not too loud, no drone on the freeway but the car gets those nice little burbles and pops and just sounds way more aggressive without being obnoxious.

Last edited:

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Yes it is significantly faster, they did a full stage 3 + tune in our same car on smoking tire and it made 50lbs more torque than stock, and about 25 HP over stock as well.

I mean the car still isnt fast, but it is a blast to drive around town because the torque from about 1500-4000 rpm really throws you back in your seat, and on twisty shit its fun too because it pulls you out of corners.

If you want to actually make the car fast fast you need a hybrid turbo like an X67 or Mountunes MRX, but doing that you are giving up low end torque to have power all the way to redline. And I personally dont want to sacrafice the reliability I would be losing going that route.

For going fast in a straight line I have the cobra anyways.

Edit: Here is the video if youre interested, I actually misremebered, it gains 25hp and 50lb ft at the wheels, pretty impressive imo. The cobb Exhaust sounds really good too, not too loud, no drone on the freeway but the car gets those nice little burbles and pops and just sounds way more aggressive without being obnoxious.

Thanks for sharing that! That is definitely what Im looking for as far as how I want it to be as a DD. Not looking for anything over the top but just a little more fun as it is already blast to drive. Just want to amplify everything a little which the Cobb upgrades seem to do.

blk02edge

Established Member
3 months for the 500's on our Fost. They no longer grip for crap :D
20190111_224552.jpg

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Indy 500s are a surprisingly good tire.

They handle the cold just fine.
Had a nice cool day yesterday in Fla. (high 50's) so I took the Cobra for a cruise, my new Indy 500's are dead hooking from a 2nd gear roll just like the old M/T ET Streets. I'm impressed their super quiet, smooth ride and can handle some HP.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Hmm, well they are 50$ cheaper a tire than the 71's so I am going to give them a shot haha. the 50's don't seem to hook up at all in 1st, though the tune I am on removed the overboost restriction so that may have something to do with it.
The 500's are hooking for me and I think I might have a bit more power, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

blk02edge

Established Member
How about driving them like a normal person in stop and go traffic as a DD? It's a great ff-ing tire for that type of driving.
I put the smiley face there for the sarcasm, these tires saw like 15 track days.. They are a really nice street tire and now that the ST is no longer the track taxi it will get another set of the indy500s

1996slowbra

Established Member
Thanks for sharing that! That is definitely what Im looking for as far as how I want it to be as a DD. Not looking for anything over the top but just a little more fun as it is already blast to drive. Just want to amplify everything a little which the Cobb upgrades seem to do.

Yep! I was mulling the idea of a big turbo for a while but in the end you just give up too much, low end torque reliability etc.

I use this car for everything now, 5 day camping trips, motorcycle towing, mountain biking, commuting when I have too, long distance drives, going up to the snow etc.

I towed this 500 miles round trip for a 4 day motorcycle camping trip with no issues.

ZSKWWST.jpg

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Yep! I was mulling the idea of a big turbo for a while but in the end you just give up too much, low end torque reliability etc.

I use this car for everything now, 5 day camping trips, motorcycle towing, mountain biking, commuting when I have too, long distance drives, going up to the snow etc.

I towed this 500 miles round trip for a 4 day motorcycle camping trip with no issues.

View attachment 1543104

Love the blue color on your car. Dont think I have seen too many with that color and if I would have seen that before I probably would have tried to find one in that color, but I got a black one. I like the color for the black though too with the heavy flake in it.

1996slowbra

Established Member
Love the blue color on your car. Dont think I have seen too many with that color and if I would have seen that before I probably would have tried to find one in that color, but I got a black one. I like the color for the black though too with the heavy flake in it.

Kona blue was only on the 16s and is, IMO the best blue that Ford ever made lol, I hunted around for this one for a while before I finally decided on this package, didn't get the recaros though which I kind of regret, I have been scanning carpart hoping to come upon a pair from a wrecked on.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Kona blue was only on the 16s and is, IMO the best blue that Ford ever made lol, I hunted around for this one for a while before I finally decided on this package, didn't get the recaros though which I kind of regret, I have been scanning carpart hoping to come upon a pair from a wrecked on.

Yeah, I kind of wished I could have got the Recaros too but I was on a crunch and needed a DD and the deal was good.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Yeah if you are budget minded 3k just for seats is a bit hard to stomach. Though in hindsight I wish I just would have done it

My system at work can look at all list prices for manufacturer parts and so I have looked at all the parts prices for the specialty cars. Ford has a lot of cheap parts but when it comes to any of the Recaros the prices are astronomical. GT350 Recaros have to be built and they are about $3k per seat!

Users who are viewing this thread