breaking in mmr 302 stroker

vic_s197

Established Member
I'm about ready to take the mustang down to get tuned I'm just waiting on a motor mount adaptor from Mmr. I talked to a guy over at Mmr and he said to break it in with 10w 30 synthetic with ZERO boost for the first 2000 miles with three oil changes in between. And not to rev it passed 4k is that right? Cuz I talked to another guy a month ago and he said to us 10w 30 non synthetic oil . So I'm confused. What's the best way to break it in properly??
And how am I suppose to break it in with no boost when I have an f1a on it??

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
Well no boost is easy. Im about to get my car back from being built by Pro Dyno, and I have to run non-synthetic oil for 500 miles with no boost, then get it retuned and change the oil. Then im gonna change the oil every 1000 miles for the next 3000

01yellercobra

Established Member
Go with whatever the people that built the motor say. I built mine and it saw boost within the first 10 minutes of first start up.

RussZTT

Established Member
Give it as much throttle as you can without going into boost then engine brake. Do that over and over as much as you can then go back and change the oil. You should be set.

vic_s197

Established Member
Well can they tune it properly without goin into boost? Cuz I have a 13 psi pulley on the f1. I have the car setup for e85 so if its not gunna be in boost should I just get it tuned on 91 octane?

vic_s197

Established Member
And I got mixed answers on the type of oil to break it in some say non synthetic and others say full synthetic which one?

RussZTT

Established Member
Using cheap regular oil is fine for break in, no to synthetic. To get the correct tune you have to check the air fuel ratio and timing etc... they will have to go WOT. If the tuner knows how to tune, he can break it in on the dyno. Personally if it were my car and this is the way I do all my builds and even motorcycles, throttle up about 50-75% up to about 5k rpms then engine brake down to a slow speed, throttle it up again and engine brake down again. Do this over and over in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear. This will break the engine in by forcing the rings against the cylinder walls. Change the oil and your good to beat on the car. I can get more technical but I have to go.

tinosc281

Established Member
i have the mmr stroker in my car now for about 3 years.i was told by mmr when i purchased the motor to use only conventional engine oil until 6.000 miles.synthetic oil was not recommended at all or was going to void warranty.auto parts stores do sell conventional engine braking oil,

gt347mustang

Established Member
MMR pry wants you to burn up your warranty time... that way if/when the engine fails, you'll be out of the 1 year warranty.

Just make sure everything is functioning right and beat the piss out of it. All that bs about putting some miles on the engine is complete crap.

Start it up and get it to running temp, shut it down. Change oil and filter with regular (non-syn) oil. Then take it to the tuner to run on the dyno.

Last edited:

redfire04gt

Blown 2v
Established Member
Did you talk to a tech or the sales guy at MMR? That's probably going to make a difference. When I bought my shortblock the sales guy tried convincing me to drop my compression because I was going to be supercharged. I wanted stock compression (2v). He wanted me to go 8.5:1...in any case your motor should have came with break in instructions. I've put 350 miles on mine with non synthetic oil. Start up to operating temp - change oil. Run for 3-400 miles - change oil. Good to go. Definitely stay out of boost until you get it tuned.

vic_s197

Established Member
Well warranty starts when It showed up at my house 3 months ago. I do wanna get it running in the next 2-3 weeks in case something does happen I have 8 months to run it hard. I plan on breaking it in driving it to work for a week 60 miles round trip.

When I was ordering my motor they said 10.0:1 was too much for an f1a but I knew what I wanted so I went with that, he wasn't the only one who told me that though

coposrv

Established Member
I would say follow what the builder recommends. I will also say if A big fleet buys a new truck there probably not paying a driver to put some miles on it. They're hooking that bitch to 80,000 lbs and seeing 35lbs of boost.

vic_s197

Established Member
I would say follow what the builder recommends. I will also say if A big fleet buys a new truck there probably not paying a driver to put some miles on it. They're hooking that bitch to 80,000 lbs and seeing 35lbs of boost.

Good way to put it man.

2000ZincGT

Banned
i have the mmr stroker in my car now for about 3 years.i was told by mmr when i purchased the motor to use only conventional engine oil until 6.000 miles.synthetic oil was not recommended at all or was going to void warranty.auto parts stores do sell conventional engine braking oil,

My warranty papers say the same thing

in any case your motor should have came with break in instructions. I've put 350 miles on mine with non synthetic oil. Start up to operating temp - change oil. Run for 3-400 miles - change oil. Good to go. Definitely stay out of boost until you get it tuned.

This is what i did, I also added a engine oil break in additive from comp cams in the initial start up oil and the first oil change.

Users who are viewing this thread