Breaking half shafts

randoo

Established Member
My car is getting a D1sc put in and should be around 550 hp to the wheels. i'm going to get the IRS brace for sure but i'm wondering about the half shafts. I looked on lethals web site and saw level 2's for i think $1200. They can handle 600rwhp. I wont be launching with slicks..ever. It's just for the street and may see the track a couple times just to see what it does. What do you guys think? Will the stockers hold up?

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
If you have an 01, swap to the 03 shafts if you are worried about it. But, you shouldn't break a shaft unless you are hopping or sticking really well, like with slicks. I wouldn't worry too much if you are never going to the track.

SUPERSEXY32V

people know me
Established Member
I have seen guys running alotta power with the 28 spline setup. I would swap a 31spline diff and half shafts along with the IRS brace though too. but above any of that I would first recommend replacing the crappy rubber bushings that hold the IRS to the frame with delrin and replace the diff bushings with aluminum. this along with a good subframe connector will eliminate alot of the wheel hop which is what kills half shafts in the first place.

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
I wouldnt worry about the RWHP as much as the wheel hop.

if you can get rid of the hop the irs will last a long long time on the street.

dont waste your money on those upgraded shafts.

the stock ones will hold up to multiple 1.5/1.4 60foot times at the track, you should check the outer shaft end a few times a year if you do end up racing it. cause a lot of hard launches will eventually break an outer shaft.

but 1 wheel hop hard launch could break it as well.

WHEEL HOP IS 100 TIMES HARDER ON YOUR IRS THAN ANY STICKY TIRE LAUNCH!!!!

stop the hop and good luck
J

Last edited:

97V8SHO

F-22 Crew Chief
Established Member
+1 about not getting the DSS lvl anyting, thoughs things are crap...go read up on em over in the termi section and you'll see why they suck.

If you really want a solid IRS get ac427cobra's bushing kit (I'm ordering mine in a couple weeks) a 03-04 IRS brace/crossmember, billet flow diff brace, and a set of 03-04 shafts (which you can get from tousley ford on here, he quoted me $290 a shaft, includes inner/outer CV's) and these shafts will hold up to just as much power as the lvl 2's if not more. The biggest issue with our shafts is the inner CV's are weak and the outer shaft, I wouldn't put too much faith in the 01 shafts for anything over 450rwhp

randoo

Established Member
Thanks for the advice guys! I do have sub frame connectors now and have no wheel hop at all. I think I'm gonna go with the IRS brace,bushing kit and 03-04 shafts and see what happens...thanks again.

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
I've completed this project last October. Bruce's complete kit with bump steer HD tie rods, IRS brace, 4.10's, 31 spline True Trac and new 2004 Cobra halfshafts.

So far, no hop, fantastic handling, and no breakage. Of course, a 106mph quarter is not exactly hard on the IRS :)

I do plan on going with a forged motor and FI this winter adding substantial power...

97V8SHO

F-22 Crew Chief
Established Member
Rock on man...hey if you're thinking of switching diffs while the pumpkin is out let me know and I'll see if a guy I know will hook you up with a Torsen T2R for about $150 off what you normally find. It's one hell of a diff and is made for road racing, uses worm gears to transfer torque so no more rebuilding the diff after x amount of miles.

I also have 3.73's and love em...get 4.10's if you drag alot, other wise I find 3.73 are very nice for corner carving.

02SVTV6

Established Member
I would rather launch on slicks then DRs...I did 5K lauches ALL DAY at the track on ET Drags on my STOCK 01 IRS with a 6 puck race clutch which is a in or out clutch theres no riding it out...I wouldnt bother paying 1200$ for half shafts only rated for 600rwhp thats a joke...and getting a D1 only to make 550 ? lol hope ur motor is built and your just being conservative because my S trim on 11 psi alone with stock exhaust manifolds a2a intercooled with x pipe catback and throttle body put down 510rwhp stock motor...and I still had more room for boost on that S trim...but stock motor i was already pushing it

trade your IRS for a SRA with at least 31 splines and a girdle...and let others worry about silly half shafts

Wheel Hop is what will break something...so reason I rather launch on slicks...they tend to just Hook :)

Last edited:

gracefpo

Established Member
Rock on man...hey if you're thinking of switching diffs while the pumpkin is out let me know and I'll see if a guy I know will hook you up with a Torsen T2R for about $150 off what you normally find. It's one hell of a diff and is made for road racing, uses worm gears to transfer torque so no more rebuilding the diff after x amount of miles.

I also have 3.73's and love em...get 4.10's if you drag alot, other wise I find 3.73 are very nice for corner carving.

would I need to update my diff? I dont do much road racing I just want to beef up my IRS for an occassional track outing but my car is a daily driver

Last edited:

02SVTV6

Established Member
My car is a daily driver and my only car...drive it to NY from FL and back every 6 months for vacation...

You won't make enough power to worry about your IRS. Just as long as you dont have wheel hop your ok...I drag raced/street raced my car every week for 5 months straight at least 10+ passes minimum a weekend...my IRS was fine.

97V8SHO

F-22 Crew Chief
Established Member
would I need to update my diff? I dont do much road racing I just want to beef up my IRS for an occassional track outing but my car is a daily driver

No you don't have to...I was simply offering if you wanted to. Depending on how many miles you have on the stocker though, you might want to think about rebuilding it at least.

gracefpo

Established Member
Thanks but I bought the car about a year and a half ago and the place I bought it from put in a new clutch and diff. So im good for a while but again thanks appreciate it though

srl135

Wreck 'em Tech!
Established Member
+1 to running slicks rather than DR's. the bigger sidewall absorbs the shock on the rear end so less of it travels through the IRS (halfshafts). DR's grab hard, but your halfshafts have to take nearly all the shock at launch so even without hop, they are hard on your halfshafts.

acidtonic

Established Member
I agree regarding the slicks being easier on the car compared to DRs comment. Many just swap to SRA to save roughly 80lbs and go 31 spline or 33 spline. If you race on tracks then the SRA will be better, if you race on uneven pavement the IRS will shine. I wouldnt be a regular weekend track warrior with the IRS though... I'm actually seeking an IRS for my lightweight 97 Cobra though if anyone would prefer to have a solid.

If anyone wants to swap their IRS for my 8.8 SRA with Tokico D-Specs let me know :)

I'm not a drag racer and I'm looking for a better daily driver. PM me if anyone wants to swap.

omj

Established Member
Instead of getting an IRS brace, get the rear end girdle from American Muscle. I like mine. Very beefy.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Hey SUPERSEXY32V what's the advantage of those Aluminum Differential Bushings?
Do they cause more road noise inside the car?

Users who are viewing this thread