Boys with big single pumps in here!

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
This also, too many people put their return line next to the feed in the sump and this is WRONG. It caused cavitation and destroys pumps. Also make sure your pump is lower than the sump as it is a gravity fed pump its not a puller.

Another thing what size is your return line? If its smaller than -10 them you need to replace it...

Why do you keep saying the return line smaller than -10 replace it lol??

I run -8 feed -6 return with a A1000 pump and have zero issues.. I know of lots of cars running it this way too.. Just sayin.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
two things
#1 feed line and return line both come off the back of the sump which i am reading is wrong
#2 the pump is mounted pretty high on the back of the car under the back bumper to be semi stealthy....this is also wrong?

Your setup is exactly like mine and I"m running a A1000 pump -8 feed -6 return.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
No fuel cooler, no controller.. The only time I've had issues is when I'm below a 1/4 tank which happened once.. Since the pump is mounted on the rear bumper it sucked a little air in.. It did it 1x and that was it.. Then just went and got some gas, all is better :)

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I'm not to sure man.. Id you check the regulator and stuff?? I've heard that fuel coolers are good and that they work so you might want to try that.. But other than that I'm not to sure.. :shrug:

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
Why do you keep saying the return line smaller than -10 replace it lol??

I run -8 feed -6 return with a A1000 pump and have zero issues.. I know of lots of cars running it this way too.. Just sayin.
Because magnafuel says so that's why?
Your setup is exactly like mine and I"m running a A1000 pump -8 feed -6 return.
Comparing an a1000 to a magnafuel 750 is laughable. The magnafuel flows way more and I'd the return is too small the pump will burn out. Just sayin...

im trying to figure out the difference between your setup and mine other than pump choice......mine flows more fuel but its still ****ed....
Fuel Cooling System Glenn's Performance
thinking of buying that.....but is it just a band aid?

It's just a bandaid. Like I said earlier is your return line close to your sump? If so move it as it could be cavitating your pump. Is the pump lower than the sump? It is suppose to be as it is gravity fed.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Because magnafuel says so that's why?
Comparing an a1000 to a magnafuel 750 is laughable. The magnafuel flows way more and I'd the return is too small the pump will burn out. Just sayin...

It's just a bandaid. Like I said earlier is your return line close to your sump? If so move it as it could be cavitating your pump. Is the pump lower than the sump? It is suppose to be as it is gravity fed.

OH I thought you meant all big pumps lol.. by bad I guess I missed that part.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
im calling the engineers at magnafuel and asking them exactly how they want the pump setup, also Mr Dyno Slayer do you have any pictures of how your pump and sump are setup?

D-MANN

Established Member
-10 is a big line. My return is a -8 and feed line is -10. I run a magnafuel pump hidden behind the bumper. I never run my tank below half. Keep us much fuel in it so the return is always mixing with cooler fuel before being fed out again. Drop your tank and have your return feed into the front of tank. Pain in the ass but I'm sure this will cure your issue. If you have the IRS in good luck on finding a mounting place for a fuel cooler. It's not needed if you follow the above.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
I might do the fuel cooler and move the line just to be done with it. Do you have a diagram of where you are putting the return line?

MGC

Established Member
Is the fuel pressure dropping?where is your return line going to?if its going to your sump and your feed line is there your pump may be cavitating and over heating causing it to shut down. Does it run fine again after 15-20 minute shutdown?are you sure it's venting properly?if its not a venting issue change your return line so it's far enough away from your feed line. That way the heated fuel will cool down before it get fed out again. Check your filters.

That was my thoughts as well. Keep us updated OP

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
so i should attach the return line to he front side of the tank?

Zach you still haven't told us where you put the return line or if the pump is lower than the sump. Your return line should be as far away from the feed line as possible. And if your pump isn't lower than the sump then there's your problem. The magnafuel pump is not a puller type pump, it is gravity fed so the pump can't pull fuel it will burn out.

Last edited:

ttype69

Established Member
I would have to say if running a return line the size isn't going to play a big factor. This is due to the fact that the fuel pump, pumps fuel to the rails and then to the regulator. So the regulator acts as a valve witch keeps constant pressure in the rails for you.the reg acts as a blockage. So with diff return line sizes this would only mean that you would have to adjustment in your reg acordingly. If any one thinks that there return line is restrictive you would have spiked pressure at a wide open adjustment of the reg. you would have to inspect for this at all throttle positions. idle part and wot . so basicaly if your return line is suspect to be to small that means your fuel pressure in your feed line would be super high. and your reg would be usless .

Blackedout

Established Member
I'm running an eliminator pump w/cooler from Glen's.. never had any issues... You might want to check out the return line and look to see if it is pinched somewhere... Post a pic of your sump tank connections...

Users who are viewing this thread