Boys with big single pumps in here!

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
Guys i have a 2001 turbo cobra with a magnafuel single pump. Today i drove about an hour in 90-95 degree weather....about 3 miles from my new residence the car starting pinging and than while moving the car stalled.....this isnt the first time i have ran into this issue with this pump, i just want to know what other people are doing about it.

I have a voltage regulator which magnafuel says it does not need.
Do i need a fuel cooler?

Please give me some recomendations on what to do

My goal with my car is to drive it 1.5 hours on pump gas, run 9's and drive home. Makes it hard when it breaks down on the interstate :(

svtsilversnake

DRIVER MODED
Established Member
I wish I knew more so I could help. You actually loose fuel pressure? Or is the fuel getting to hot like you said? Does it happen while just cruising or when under a load?

itSSlow98

Established Member
I have an aeromotive eliminator pump mounted outside of the tank and drove it 6.5 hrs home when I bought it. Sounds like a pump issue to me how old is it?

TwinTurbo4vGT

Slowest GT alive :)
Established Member
Zach check your pump when you get the chance. I had one go bad because some crap go in the pump. I sent it back to magnafuel and they overnighted me a brand new one. Just check it first and check the regulator.

Magnafuel will tell you a cooler is not needed as the magnafuel and Weldon are the only true recirculating pumps that don't need a driver.

Last edited:

MGC

Established Member
Do you have a fuel cell or sumped tank? Is it vented? you are return style correct?

Last edited:

Cobi-Wan

Established Member
LOL rookie. :poke:

I don't get the rookie reference. I didn't see a modded FPDM listed anywhere, and I have heard of plenty of people struggling with big single pumps, due to the increased voltage applied to the FPDM. This causes an overheating issue and can shut down the fuel pump.

Maybe I missed something. I was just offering some help.

Cobi-Wan

Established Member
I don't get the rookie reference. I didn't see a modded FPDM listed anywhere, and I have heard of plenty of people struggling with big single pumps, due to the increased voltage applied to the FPDM. This causes an overheating issue and can shut down the fuel pump.

Maybe I missed something. I was just offering some help.

Damned tap a talk. I can't edit. Just saw that he's return. Now I see where you would call me a rookie. My bad. I missed it earlier.

D-MANN

Established Member
Is the fuel pressure dropping?where is your return line going to?if its going to your sump and your feed line is there your pump may be cavitating and over heating causing it to shut down. Does it run fine again after 15-20 minute shutdown?are you sure it's venting properly?if its not a venting issue change your return line so it's far enough away from your feed line. That way the heated fuel will cool down before it get fed out again. Check your filters.

TwinTurbo4vGT

Established Member
Is the fuel pressure dropping?where is your return line going to?if its going to your sump and your feed line is there your pump may be cavitating and over heating causing it to shut down. Does it run fine again after 15-20 minute shutdown?are you sure it's venting properly?if its not a venting issue change your return line so it's far enough away from your feed line. That way the heated fuel will cool down before it get fed out again. Check your filters.

This also, too many people put their return line next to the feed in the sump and this is WRONG. It caused cavitation and destroys pumps.

Another thing what size is your return line? If its smaller than -10 them you need to replace it...

TwinTurbo4vGT

Established Member

This also, too many people put their return line next to the feed in the sump and this is WRONG. It caused cavitation and destroys pumps. Also make sure your pump is lower than the sump as it is a gravity fed pump its not a puller.

Another thing what size is your return line? If its smaller than -10 them you need to replace it...

Last edited:

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
two things
#1 feed line and return line both come off the back of the sump which i am reading is wrong
#2 the pump is mounted pretty high on the back of the car under the back bumper to be semi stealthy....this is also wrong?

Users who are viewing this thread