Bought something, seller wants to charge more for shipping

yellowbra

Established Member
I don't know if its been said but i have a solution...... WAIT until the bumper gets to you and if its in perfect condition you can split the difference.... why would you pay him anything extra if the bumper comes in all efffed up!

Why would you pay him anything extra at all?

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I sold a freeplay mod for like 10 bucks, and said I would cover shipping, shipping it was like 12 dollars or some shit lol...I took it like a man, didnt ask him to pay for it.

I sold a full mach460 audio system on one of the forums, lost my ass after shipping. I think I ended up with $30 after it was said and done because I screwed up the shipping quote. All the trouble it was to box and ship Id have rather thrown it in the dumpster over $30.

he screwed up, his problem. For all we know if he paid the shipping difference he might have been able to get it cheaper elsewhere.

rkomo

Herro, Mr. Itabashi here
Established Member
OP you also have the option cutting the guy a break, despite his mistake, and giving him back the $40 given how much the shipping turned out to be. I mean its only $40 its not like its a small fortune. :shrug:

Yes, this would be an admirable option. It's not like he's ripping you off...

vertigyn

Established Member
Bumper is here!

So, I wasn't home when it was delivered yesterday as I was traveling for work. Finally home and was excited/curious to see how the bumper was shipped/packaged so I could see how to handle this situation a little better. Well, I'm not gonna lie, I was quite shocked when I saw this in the garage waiting for me:

2010-12-16142417.jpg

That's right - NO BOX AT ALL! Just has the label slapped on it! I find it almost impossible to believe that this cost $155 to ship...I bet if it was in a box it would have been cheaper.

Fortunately, it appears to be OK with no damage - GOOD JOB UPS! There are a couple blemishes that the painter should be able to fix/smooth no problem.

Based on how I saw the bumper first, I was like - are you f^cking kidding me? No packaging??? But after inspection and noticing that everything was fine, I was OK. So, do you guys still think the guy doesn't deserve a dime? I'm really leaning towards that as he didn't even bother to protect the bumper when shipping it...

Steve@BAS

Established Member
When I first saw this thread, I thought you should pay him a little bit, because he didn't know, and seemed fair since he offered to show you receipt.

Now....Seeing that he didn't even buy a box to ship, Screw him. I wouldn't pay a dime more. You are VERY VERY lucky to receive it with no damage.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
I've done this myself before so I understand the loss he took. He approached it in the wrong way though. In my case I told the buyer about the mistake I made and told him no hard feelings if he did not want to pay more. He ended up sending another ten bucks which was not even half of what I lost. I was greatful and felt his decision was based on the fact that I made an honest mistake. It's all in the way you approach it IMO. If I did not say anything i would have received nothing so in the end I'm glad I did.

EDIT: Just saw the update and quite surprised to see it shipped without any kind of protection. Hell, had he protected it better maybe they would have charges him less?

Last edited:

txyaloo

Established Member
WOW! I wouldn't expect a box, but I would expect some padding and plastic wrap.

Now even more than before don't give him money.

xtremeskime21

Established Member
a blanket with plastic wrap would've been sufficient if not in a box...but even seeing the sticker on the bumper pisses me off.

musclefan21

Established Member
This exact same thing just happened to me when I bought a intake on Ebay Tuesday morning. Shipping was marked as $45.00 then wanted $59.00 after the auction ended. The thing is he had listed on NMRA for sale for $800.00. I won it for $739.00. What a coincidence he raised shipping just enough to get his asking price on NMRA I just paid the $59.00 but it will ruin his 100% positive feedback. After he ships it i will leave negative feedback.
SBF FORD Super Victor Ported With FOGGER 351 9.5 Deck - eBay (item 160514045451 end time Dec-08-10 22:22:35 PST)

Man that is horrible. Why people make such big deal when the difference is 10-20 bucks I dont get it. He def. deserves a negative feedback for sure.

To OP, I wouldnt pay anything more than what you already have. He should be the man of his words and take the hit like a man.

WOW!!! Seller is not just irresponsible on checking quotes before shipping, he is also not very responsible on shipping an easily damaged item by not wrapping it with something.

I still stand with my verdict, dont give him anything.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, not even some protective wrap. Pure laziness. :nonono:
I would be hard pressed to pay the guy anything more based on the way that bumper shipped. You are very fortunate it wasn't damaged.

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
Do not send him a dime and consider yourself lucky that the bumper showed up undamaged.

On the other hand, I can't wait to see the new setup!

Leeiswho2b

I'll be your huckleberry!
Established Member
I honestly try to treat people how I want to be treated. Put yourself in his shoes and decide. I've always found that doing the right thing is a reward within itself.

I would definitely let him know that receiving the bumper like that is unacceptable for future references! I would decide on throwing him money based on the previous conversations dependent upon if he was a douche or not.

Personally, if I was happy with the part and would have paid the amount + the difference in the first place, I'd probably send him something. Although it wouldn't be the amount of his mistake. He did make the mistake and should have to learn accordingly.

Karma?!?!?!

Users who are viewing this thread