Bought something, seller wants to charge more for shipping

vertigyn

Established Member
Hey guys, what's your thoughts on the following:

I bought a part recently from someone on this site. I paid the asking price PLUS the shipping that he requested ($80 for a $250 bumper) - didn't even try to negotiate him down. He was guessing on the shipping and said if it cost less, he would refund me my money and if it cost more, he would cover it. Here's his post from the classified ad:

SELLER said:
i dont know shipping cost. Send cash to paypal 250+ 80 I will pay balance or refund you balance.

So, I get a note today saying that he has shipped it with the following information:

SELLER said:
hi dude

I've a bad new's

I've shipped the bumper, it costed me 155.52$

Could you send me back 40$ i will pay the balance. 35$

I have the bill of sale from ups to prouve you

Thanks

I don't feel like I need to pay anything extra over the $80 I already paid for shipping. I feel like he should have checked with other shipping options or gotten me a shipping quote before hand.

What are your guys thoughts? I don't feel like I need to pay anything more at all - I've already paid more for shipping than I thought it would cost - Greyhound probably would have done it for $60.

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
Education is not free. He was just educated on what shipping oversized items really costs. Now he knows for the next rodeo.

f2hatch

Established Member
This exact same thing just happened to me when I bought a intake on Ebay Tuesday morning. Shipping was marked as $45.00 then wanted $59.00 after the auction ended. The thing is he had listed on NMRA for sale for $800.00. I won it for $739.00. What a coincidence he raised shipping just enough to get his asking price on NMRA I just paid the $59.00 but it will ruin his 100% positive feedback. After he ships it i will leave negative feedback.
SBF FORD Super Victor Ported With FOGGER 351 9.5 Deck - eBay (item 160514045451 end time Dec-08-10 22:22:35 PST)

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
Yup I dont see anything wrong that you did. Seing as how he set up an agreed payment with you, then has the nerve to ask for more money is bullshit. I wouldnt give him another dime honestly.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
I use to work for ups past 6 yearsand I had this happen countless times, The customer would sell the item and when I would give them a shipping cost of $50-$200 for big items they wouldnt belive me,they were like " Oh shit I only got $40 for shipping, I would say this is why you get a quote 1st and not guess what shipping cost, rule of thumb if its being shipped far away or large or a car part its prob gonnacost $50-$100+ to ship it easy. to be fair work a deal out with the guy but it is his fault.

Last edited:

txyaloo

Established Member
Tell him to pound sand.

It's his fault that he was too stupid to ship it Greyhound. It would have cost $20 and gotten to you in 2-3 days.

I bet the bumper is also banged to hell when you get it.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
I say he gets nothing just because his spelling is some of the worst I've ever seen on this site.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
I sold a part a while back, for a good price. Shipping was double what I figured. Informed the buyer about the cost, but also told him it was my error. So in the end, he got his part, and I made $7 on an air strut. :lol:

OP you also have the option cutting the guy a break, despite his mistake, and giving him back the $40 given how much the shipping turned out to be. I mean its only $40 its not like its a small fortune. :shrug:

FL-Orange

Almost Native
Established Member
Well if he wanted to it would be a nice thing to do, rather than squabble over a few bucks. If he doesn't want to do it, he doesn't have to. But the guy sure did pay a bundle to ship it.

There's something to be said about personal responsibility....oh wait, you wanted to give CSD a pass on his bet. Now I see how it works in your world. :dw:

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
I sold a freeplay mod for like 10 bucks, and said I would cover shipping, shipping it was like 12 dollars or some shit lol...I took it like a man, didnt ask him to pay for it.

Users who are viewing this thread