Bought one.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
my understanding is Ford can tell and has been able to for quite some time. It kind of sounds like it's only really an issue if you have a) have a bunch of other mods or b) Ford sends someone in to investigate a claim if you toast a motor or trans or something.

it doesnt seem like the dealer has any real motivation to go looking for evidence of a tune unless there's a big problem.
That's my take. I had a discussion with a tuner a few years ago regarding the piggyback tune on my Mini Cooper S. The piggyback tune works in conjunction with the factory tune, and if the piggyback tuner is removed, there is zero evidence of it having been there. But if you have a tune that replaces the factory tune, and then remove it before going to the dealer, there will be trace evidence of it having been loaded. But only if the service department specifically checks for the traces (I forget what he said they can do to find evidence). So I think in the majority of instances the dealership usually turns a blind eye until they're faced with an engine claim issue. Most who go with a custom tune just live with the fact that they might have to open their wallet if an engine issue develops that involves the dealership.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Call me skeptical but I don't believe even a piggyback is undetectable. Eventually I'll add a tune as it is inevitable, but I need to read more on the 2.0EB in terms of its reliability with and without a tune.

The old pay to play mantra comes into call but that doesn't mean one wants to pay OOP if given the choice.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I see CVFab has an intercooler available. I like their parts on my Raptor and Explorer.

For exhaust, I heard a Maverick with Thermal R&D 3" system and it was pretty nice. Not overly loud. good tone. I like their quality on my Explorer.
Yea, I think an intercooler is in the cards eventually as the stock one is a joke. I will check out Thermal. CFV is awesome btw.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I see CVFab has an intercooler available. I like their parts on my Raptor and Explorer.

For exhaust, I heard a Maverick with Thermal R&D 3" system and it was pretty nice. Not overly loud. good tone. I like their quality on my Explorer.
Checked out the Thermal exhaust and it actually sounds pretty good. Nice and deep and not farty. Might have to get that. I think I'd choose to save about $100 and get the stock style exit to make it stealthier and avoid the tips hanging down and out to the side which looks kind of weird on these, plus I worry about that plastic cladding.

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
Checked out the Thermal exhaust and it actually sounds pretty good. Nice and deep and not farty. Might have to get that. I think I'd choose to save about $100 and get the stock style exit to make it stealthier and avoid the tips hanging down and out to the side which looks kind of weird on these, plus I worry about that plastic cladding.
I never heard of them before I got the Explorer, looks they were mostly in the Honda game. It is definitely the best off-the-shelf exhaust for the ExST. I have the 2.5 system, and wish the 3.0 was available when I got mine. My 2.5 sounds good, the 3.0 is perfect.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I never heard of them before I got the Explorer, looks they were mostly in the Honda game. It is definitely the best off-the-shelf exhaust for the ExST. I have the 2.5 system, and wish the 3.0 was available when I got mine. My 2.5 sounds good, the 3.0 is perfect.
Their video of it on the Maverick was very convincing. Not farty at all and a very deep growl instead. Very much like my Mazdaspeed 3 with the CNX exhaust. I know it will give pretty much zero power, but I do like a little noise as it helps scare the deer away. Deer comprise most car accidents in WV.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Now just debating lowering. I do not want to go too low. H&R Sports go 1.5" front and 2.0" rear. I think that would be doable with our driveways and roads. I'd rather just lower the rear .5 to an inch, but I cannot find any options there. I could take out the spring isolators and use the fuel hose trick, but they are already very thin, so I doubt I would gain much at all.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Even if it is FWD, I don't know why one would ponder the idea of lowering the vehicle. When I look at mine with the space in the tire wells and the overall stance, I'm reminded of a mid 90's F250 with the 5.8 and the tall tires that came with it. It just works.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Bit the bullet on the H&R Sport Springs. 1.5" front and 2.00" rear lowering. I have done some measuring and think that is livable.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I think the Thermal Exhaust next and call it a day and if I can afford to an IC later I will. They have just gotten outrageously expensive and the install on these is an absolute bitch.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
It will be a couple months if I don't talk myself out of it. Honestly no real HP gains. It's just for sound. So it can wait. I'd like to hear a Maverick with an exhaust out in the wild and not on video because 4cyls with an 8-speed or 10-speed automatic can get a little annoying with a loud exhaust. Trust me, my Ranger got annoying after a while.

Trying to talk myself of of an E30 tune. LOVED running E50 in the Ranger, but the mixing, testing, and logistics of only having one station with E85 near me was a pain.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just saw my first Maverick on the road last weekend. Factory stock, I believe. Got to say, I was impressed. Good looking truck. A modified Maverick would definitely be a hoot.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Still debating on the lowering. I got the H&R Sport Springs to put on 1.3" lower in the front and 2" lower in the back, but as a daily and with crappy roads I am reconsidering now that the factory springs have settled a little. Pardon the dirt from this morning in the attached pic.

Attachments

• PXL_20231214_124214156.jpg
    PXL_20231214_124214156.jpg
    243.5 KB · Views: 47

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The stance actually looks spot on to me. I wouldn't want it any lower, being that it's a truck. The paint is awesome, as are the wheels. Tint will definitely enhance the look. Do it! What percentages will you go with on the sides, rear and windshield?

TORQUERULES

Established Member
The stance actually looks spot on to me. I wouldn't want it any lower, being that it's a truck. The paint is awesome, as are the wheels. Tint will definitely enhance the look. Do it! What percentages will you go with on the sides, rear and windshield?
Probably match what is already on the rear. I might go darker though as my 2 year old rides in the back. Listening to 90s-2000s metal all the way. Lol.

TORQUERULES

Established Member
I said "f-it" and lowered it. H&R Sport Springs. 1.5" front and 2" rear.

Yes it is dirty (damn Winter) and the tint appointment is coming. Lol.

Attachments

• PXL_20240103_181050526.jpg
    PXL_20240103_181050526.jpg
    336.9 KB · Views: 56

TORQUERULES

Established Member
Going to get an E50 tune soon just to see. Most tune only Ecoboost Mavericks are making around 300-305whp/340-350wtq with an E30/E50 tune.

Attachments

• PXL_20240105_181143868.jpg
    PXL_20240105_181143868.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 45

Users who are viewing this thread