Bought my dad a new mower

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member
I'll try to make a long story short here.

My dad had quadruple bypass in March. His employer of nearly 30 years let him go about 3 weeks ago (he knew this was coming, they're totally restructuring). He got another job almost immediately but at a significant pay decrease, about 40k a year. My sister and her 3 kids live with my parents and probably will never leave and my mom is going back to work after idk how many years. Dad cuts my grandmothers yard which is next door and on a steep hill. Last week the tranny went out and the deck spindle rotted through while I was mowing, mower was toast. So Wednesday I bought him a new Husqvarna GT52XLS. It has a ground engaging tranny, 24 hp Kawasaki and a fabricated deck. They delivered it today and he had no idea. When I showed up he couldn't even talk and he was all teary eyed. Felt great to do that for him, my dad does a lot of giving but not much getting.

So that's it, just wanted to share. Feels good man.:beer:

Machdup1

Established Member
I'll try to make a long story short here.

My dad had quadruple bypass in March. His employer of nearly 30 years let him go about 3 weeks ago (he knew this was coming, they're totally restructuring). He got another job almost immediately but at a significant pay decrease, about 40k a year. My sister and her 3 kids live with my parents and probably will never leave and my mom is going back to work after idk how many years. Dad cuts my grandmothers yard which is next door and on a steep hill. Last week the tranny went out and the deck spindle rotted through while I was mowing, mower was toast. So Wednesday I bought him a new Husqvarna GT52XLS. It has a ground engaging tranny, 24 hp Kawasaki and a fabricated deck. They delivered it today and he had no idea. When I showed up he couldn't even talk and he was all teary eyed. Felt great to do that for him, my dad does a lot of giving but not much getting.

So that's it, just wanted to share. Feels good man.:beer:

This story gets an official e-nod of approval.

SoCalHarley

SC32VGT
Established Member
As a father with a son recently off to college this is great stuff to read. I can see how your Dad got emotional over it. An act of caring like this to a Dad from a son is what life is all about. You're a good son. Nice job!

Gray_Ghost

Established Member
My sister and her 3 kids live with my parents and probably will never leave

Great story man, I hope I can repay my mom one day for all things she's done for me. But I had a big "wtf?" moment to the above sentence.

coposrv

Established Member
I really want to repay my parents for everything they have done. Especially my dad. I have always wanted to buy him a 69 Camaro RS SS vert. Great job OP. he must be proud.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
That's awesome! My dad would take a nice mower over a new Cadillac.

Last edited:

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
In this day and age, it is great to hear or see stories such as this. OP, I feel the sense of disappointment in your post about your sister. My sister, her husband, and three children (to her ex husband) live with my parents. My parents are remodeling the house and giving it to them in a few years when my father retires. It is nice when you have hit that point in your life where you can try and thank your parents for everything they have done for you and the sacrifices they have made.

I want so badly to buy my parents a car to go to shows and cruises with my wife and I when they retire. I cannot get them something elaborate, but I will hopefully find something. My mom wants a red 65 Mustang. I was able to book them some time at a resort through our vacation club and it felt good to give back to the people who have given so much and put up with so much.

Last edited:

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member
Thanks for all the kind words guys :beer: I was on pins and needles waiting for it to come in since I knew he was looking. I had to make up a lie about a guy at work having a used one that he was going to send me pictures of to keep him at bay. I also took him a Husqvarna hat over the weekend, told him it didn't fit my head right haha.

In this day and age, it is great to hear or see stories such as this. OP, I feel the sense of disappointment in your post about your sister. My sister, her husband, and three children (to her ex husband) live with my parents. My parents are remodeling the house and giving it to them in a few years when my father retires.
Yeah I hate it for them as I think they've just come to terms with having to support her till her kids are grown. They're in a tough spot because of the grandkids.

ssssnake

Established Member
You are a good son. My son borrowed my nice new mower, and it got stolen. I know your father is proud of you.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is so great, Lloyd. You're a good man. And your mom & dad are model (sacrificing) parents. Sadly, it is becoming too common nowadays for a child to let (or expect) their parents to take care of them (and their own children). I pray that your sister comes to grips with this and if she does stay with them long term, sacrifices for them regularly and does EVERYTHING she can to help them, support them, and do everything she should do in providing for her children. I don't know her circumstances, but I hope your act of love does something to her personally, so that she really, really appreciates the love your parents give out, and how they sacrifice for their children and grandchildren. Hopefully she will do everything she possibly can to return that love and sacrifice.

But back to you. Your gesture of love towards your dad (and your mom) through this purchase is likely only one of many wonderful acts you've done for them. Trust me, I absolutely know how much this means to them. I know how their hearts feel about your genuine love and kindness. And THAT, my friend, is what family is all about. I'm so happy for your dad. And I'm just as happy about what you did for your dad. :thumbsup:

lloyyd

Cobra-less again
Established Member
That is so great, Lloyd. You're a good man. And your mom & dad are model (sacrificing) parents. Sadly, it is becoming too common nowadays for a child to let (or expect) their parents to take care of them (and their own children). I pray that your sister comes to grips with this and if she does stay with them long term, sacrifices for them regularly and does EVERYTHING she can to help them, support them, and do everything she should do in providing for her children. I don't know her circumstances, but I hope your act of love does something to her personally, so that she really, really appreciates the love your parents give out, and how they sacrifice for their children and grandchildren. Hopefully she will do everything she possibly can to return that love and sacrifice.

But back to you. Your gesture of love towards your dad (and your mom) through this purchase is likely only one of many wonderful acts you've done for them. Trust me, I absolutely know how much this means to them. I know how their hearts feel about your genuine love and kindness. And THAT, my friend, is what family is all about. I'm so happy for your dad. And I'm just as happy about what you did for your dad. :thumbsup:
ThanksBob, I appreciate it. I have to give credit to my wife also, when I told her my plan she didn't hesitate to to say go for it.:beer:

My2003Mach1

Established Member
Good stuff! Excellent read.. Thank you for sharing.

I am all about GOOD News. I do not watch the news at all simply because its never good.

In my life I need things to inspire me. This inspires me

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread