Bought a car and think I got scammed. Question

mcaligiuri

Established Member
Bought a new jeep from a dealer. Salesman was very nice told me the price and showed me the window sticker. When I sat down with finance they inflated the cost $2000 over msrp and gave me $3500 in rebates. At the time of sale I was told the msrp was 52525 with $1500 rebate. This inflation caused my sales tax to increase. In nys you pay sales tax on the full price of car before rebates. Plus they added multiple fees that seemed duplicate of one another.dealer fee, transfer fee, sales fee, etc. I paid for this car cash so I feel the finance guy was annoyed. I needed a car and didn’t realize till I got home and looked at it again. Overall I wish the sales price was more transparent from the start. It’s practices like these that make me just want to buy online and not deal with the sales people. The finance guy was awful. In the end it was probably $5-600 above what I expected. Is what they did illegal?

Attachments

• IMG_3141.jpeg
    IMG_3141.jpeg
    244.5 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
The " Closers" as I call them, inevitably try to sneak shit in. It's basically to late if you signed the check and handed it over.

Let's see the Jeep Bro!
No shit. The closer guy when i bought my 18 was a douche because I kept saying no to his offers. This guy knows who I am here, and a member here.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah, they pulled some shit and got a few extra $1000 from you and Jeep.

I bought a Jeep 2 months ago. 10% off MSRP, plus they called me up 2 days after I signed everything and gave me another $1K Jeep rebate.

Last edited:

ajaf1656

Established Member
I've found that if I have a big fat envelope full of the amount we talked about, they rarely send me walking. I don't argue and I don't go back and forth on that nonsense. I make it clear I'm talking about the price out the door and they can do whatever needs to be done on their side to get me to hand my envelope to the guy who counts it.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Car buying is the only place I can see this deceptive tactic. Imagine going to the grocery store and getting fees added on to buy groceries. I’m buying next car directly from the manufacturer. Screw dealers

A friend of mine owns a bunch of Dunkin stores locally. On his receipts, instead of just having one spot for "sales tax" he breaks out every single tax (there's like 6 individual ones) that's being added to your coffee and donut. He likes transparency.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It's not illegal.
It's less shady than all of the fees charged on hotel rooms.
You're an adult, learn to walk away.
Grow some nuts and disagree in person rather than on an online forum after the fact.
Take accountability for your choice to buy it.

Luckily, as a consumer you have the ability to consume product from whomever you choose to do business with.

Last edited:

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
I've found that if I have a big fat envelope full of the amount we talked about, they rarely send me walking. I don't argue and I don't go back and forth on that nonsense. I make it clear I'm talking about the price out the door and they can do whatever needs to be done on their side to get me to hand my envelope to the guy who counts it.
The dealership is required to file a 8300 form for cash transactions over 10k. A better scenario is paying with a ballers credit card and racking up points. Then paying off the bill the next cycle. Always best to confirm the dealership accepts card payments before going though.

Users who are viewing this thread