Boss stock shifter questions

Rusty67

Established Member
I was told the Boss and the Boss LS both come equiped from the factory with a short throw shifter that is better then a stock 5.0 GT. Is this true ?

I was driving my car today (finally) and I got it all up to temp and was bangin on it perty good. I now realize the skip shift is enabled with the standard key and I don't have the track key tune on it. I riped my 2-3 shift around 7000 RPM and I swear I almost felt like I was going to break the shifter stick so I backed out and pushed it in gently. I'm not sure if this was the skip shift of the rubber busings in the stock shifter.

This is the first car I've driven where the throw on the factory shifter was acceptable so I'm not looking to get an aftermarket shifter. If I have to go aftermarket to get rid of the rubber (if there is any) then I guess I will.

Is there an easy way to disable skip shift ? Like maybe just unplug a wire ?

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Ah the $64,000 question. I'm having lock out from 2nd to 3rd and 3rd to 4th on a track. I've read a ton on this and while you'll get a lot of suggestions on "solutions" there isn't one. I have Redline MTL and a Steeda shifter bracket and still get it. There are a few different issues at hand. The clutch possible not handling the high RPM's, the clutch sticking down, the tranny having grinding and rough shifts and the lock out. I think the lock out is from poor tolerances from production and I used to think it was the clutch. Many will suggest that the MGW is the solution and if it was there would be one on my car. If anyone has a definitive answer please post up.

I'm not sure if the Boss shifter is different from a GT but if it is there's not a big difference. There's no doubt an aftermarket shifter will be an improvement but one hasn't solved the lock out issue. BTW the 2013's don't have skip shift and it's possible that's where the issue lies. But disabling it by unplugging it won't solve the issues either.

kbroush

Established Member
I dont know about skip shift on the MT88 but on the GM cars they make a plug that you plug in the wiring harness that tricks it in to disabling skip shift all the time. I also read the 13 boss doesn't have skip shift. It must not since I don't notice it?

Rusty67

Established Member
Skip shift is terrible and in my opinion VERY dangerous. It completely breaks you concentration while you are driving and takes you mentally away from what you should be doing. I will have the car tuned to disable skip shift for sure.

Now, I know the clutch isn't the problem. Anyone who says the clutch is the problem either has a massive problem with their clutch or doesn't know what they are talking about. The only way the clutch would stop the car from going into gear is if it was failing to release. I have not had this problem yet. I am getting full release.

When I went to shift something was physically stopping me from shifting (that would be the skip shift). I swear I thought I was going to break the shifter handle clean off...

I think the reason I felt like I was going to snap the shifter handle off is that the shifter has a bunch of rubber bushings in it. Does anyone sell a poly or solid bushing kit for the factory shifter ?

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
The stock shifter assembly is crap, get an mgw, world of difference. I'd also recommend the 12 Shelby GT500 clutch pedal assembly, dot 4 fluid, and a stainless steel braided clutch line.....completely different transmission. Not a single problem with my transmission, and it is driven very hard.

Rusty67

Established Member
Can someone clue me in about the GT500 pedal assembly deal ? I'm new to the S197 platform.

I likely will go with a steel braided clutch line at some point but right now I haven't driven the car enough to know.

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
hope this helps... ( it will consist of both educational and spam ingredients lol )

first the shifter on the laguna seca , regular boss, gt, AND v6 are all the EXACT same. no difference nothing nada!!! i know this for fact as we have had all 4 as project cars.

if you are shifting from 2-3 at 7k you are NOT experiencing skip shift....

skip shift ONLY occurs between 1-2 and at low rpms. like granny shifting .

most likely at that high rev you torqued the motor and tranny and the wimpy support bracket on the oem shifter caused misalignment.

bottom line...

get the MGW . it will resolve your issues....

BUT...

make sure at 7k you arent keeping your foot in the throttle on upshifts and hitting the rev limiter which will lock you out.

george

5 DOT 0

Established Member
bottom line...

BUT...

make sure at 7k you arent keeping your foot in the throttle on upshifts and hitting the rev limiter which will lock you out.

george
George if you'll guarantee that I'll order it today. :burnout: BTW I already have installed a Steeda shifter bracket and I'm still getting lock out from 2-3 and 3-4.

Last edited:

Rusty67

Established Member
Wait a second, back it up. The rev limiter will lock me out of gear ? That may have been what was happening.

What is the rev limit/lock out range ? I am used to my Mach 1 which is 7200 so I was driving like I was in the Mach. Maybe I bounced the limiter and that is where the lockout came from.

George, any word on a shifter for the T56 Magnum ? I have an aftermarket one in my Mach 1 but it is crap. I'm about to spend 300 on another T56 magnum shifter from a different company but if you guys are close I'll wait.

Davey

Established Member
Not a Boss 302 but the one time I got blocked out of 2nd gear I was actually seeing what the rev limiter felt like/when it would actually cut fuel - I bounced off the limiter 3 times and had to clutch in and granny shift 2nd, it didn't want to go in (I will NEVER force a shift.)

If I shift at 6800 or so it goes in like butter every time.

Rusty if you bounced off the limiter you would know. Or should I say, if you bounced off the limiter and didn't feel it, you may want to get to a hospital, because I think you're probably dead... This car has one of the most violent-feeling rev limiters I've ever experienced.

mtrsprt

Established Member
If it's a 2013, no skip shift, so no lock out from the PCM when hitting the rev limiter. A street type synchroed transmission is much harder to get to cooperate at 7000+rpm shifts in almost any street type manual transmission with standard blocker rings/synchros. When you try to shift above 7000rpm, and your shifter handle just stops dead in the middle, you are experiencing mechanical denial basically.. The synchros are not slowing down enough to allow a completed shift. They never took this into effect with the higher revving Boss engine, and just plopped the MT-82 in there and thought it would have to work fine.

Different types of fluids,shifters, shifter bracing bushings, etc may help this issue some, but not always......

FKing1

Established Member
At a track day yesterday on my 3rd run (Waterford Hills, MI 1.5 mi track), had trouble going from 2nd to 3rd running at rev limit. After a sec or 2 got it in.
A fellow 13 Boss owner told me MRT sells a trans bracket that solves this prob, he put it in his.
Will go to MRT.
Otherwise the car ran great and times were OK.
ry%3D400

Last edited:

Rusty67

Established Member
Its a 2012 so it does have the evil skipshift.

Its interesting that this trans is having that kind of trouble at the higer RPM range. I never had an issue with my 3650 or the T56 magnum shifting around 7000... then again my humble 4.6 4v isn't making the kind of power the new 5.0 Boss motor does.....

Davey

Established Member
If it's a 2013, no skip shift, so no lock out from the PCM when hitting the rev limiter. A street type synchroed transmission is much harder to get to cooperate at 7000+rpm shifts in almost any street type manual transmission with standard blocker rings/synchros. When you try to shift above 7000rpm, and your shifter handle just stops dead in the middle, you are experiencing mechanical denial basically.. The synchros are not slowing down enough to allow a completed shift. They never took this into effect with the higher revving Boss engine, and just plopped the MT-82 in there and thought it would have to work fine.

Different types of fluids,shifters, shifter bracing bushings, etc may help this issue some, but not always......

Well, mine's a 2013 so I guess it doesn't work so well at 7,000 RPM in the GT, either. :shrug:

2012YellowBoss

Established Member
hope this helps... ( it will consist of both educational and spam ingredients lol )

first the shifter on the laguna seca , regular boss, gt, AND v6 are all the EXACT same. no difference nothing nada!!! i know this for fact as we have had all 4 as project cars.

most likely at that high rev you torqued the motor and tranny and the wimpy support bracket on the oem shifter caused misalignment.

bottom line...

BUT...

george

George
I love your shifter and as you know I recommend everyone install one on the MT-82. The shifter is light years ahead of the stock unit and has helped with lock-out but I still get it - mostly on 4 to 5 gear shifts. It does not matter if I am at rev-limiter or close to it. I need to shift at 6500-6800 to avoid the issue. If I shift at 7200 without being in the gas I am locked out. I can bang the rev limiter in 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 without the lockout issue.

Again, I'm not knocking your product since I would say it is not only a must do but the first mod that should be done to any Mustang with an MT-82. However it did not completely solve the lock-out. I am going to try to keep a closer eye on the shifts this weekend and make sure I am not staying in the gas and banging the rev limiter but I do not think I have been before.

Grant808

Established Member

bottom line...

BUT...

george

Er...I have a '11 GT and a '12 Boss and the shifters feel VERY different. Is the difference in the tranny?

wikdlx

The Bone
Established Member
I have a 13 Boss on order and have been reading up on what all upgrades I need to be ready for.
(1)as far as the shifter goes, does anyone use the Barton Industries? Also, what about the 2 post bracket they sell also?
I had the MGW in my 03 and loved it, but am curious about Barton and their bracket. I also noticed Lethal and Evolutin dont list MGW on their sites

(2)Does anyone have any experience changing to a 1 piece aluminum or c/f driveshaft? If so, what brand?

thanks in advance,
Matt

Smileyboy

2V guy
Established Member
Er...I have a '11 GT and a '12 Boss and the shifters feel VERY different. Is the difference in the tranny?

Off topic, is there a better picture or larger one of last pic in your signature block? I love it, just want to be able to see it better.:beer::rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread