Boss stock shifter questions

86Fbody

Established Member
OP, before considering spending whatever it would cost to buy a new GT500 pedal box I would consider modding your current box. I had similar issues on mine when shifting at 7k+ or rev matching and down shifting. I followed a guide online to remove the damn assist spring and was able to go out and shift right at the redline with ease. If you had considered buying a new pedal box you might as well mod it first, since you would have to take the pedal box out to put the new one in, and without the assist spring you don't have to worry about the clutch pedal binding at those high rpm shifts. Just my two cents.

Rusty67

Established Member
Interesting info. I really need to learn a bit more about the S197. I've got so much knowledge on the classic and fox chassis cars but I know nothing about this current platofrm. Its a bitch starting over again.

86Fbody

Established Member
Its going to be a lot of fun, especially since the Boss has many trans issues if you haven't noticed by the various fixes to your problem. I would suggest modding more then purchasing new until you completely have to, probably learn more and spend a lot less money. I saw you asked earlier about a better bushing for the shifter and Energy Suspension makes a bushing Energy Suspension Parts: Mustang, Ford Mustang 2011 is the link. It says 2011 but you could always call and ask if it works for the 2012's as well.

mtrsprt

Established Member
The Steeda shifter, support bushing, and Redline fluid didn't help.

What's next?

Grrrrr......

Shifting FEELS nice..... but at RPM's over 7K, it's still hit or miss.

Went to the drag strip Friday night. First pass, locked me out of 2nd and 4th. Rest of the passes, I shifted a little slower, and no higher than 7K, and it was fine.......

86Fbody

Established Member
Have you tried to remove the assist spring or are you getting good engagement and disengagement?

mtrsprt

Established Member
I havent yet no, but it's next on my list. Engagement/dis-engagement feels great everything below 7K. Definately feels like the synchros are just not aligning above 7K rpm.

dean_acheson

Established Member
George, I love mine, and want to thank you for all the help you were when I was installing mine and screwed up the front bushing.

Great customer service!

hope this helps... ( it will consist of both educational and spam ingredients lol )

first the shifter on the laguna seca , regular boss, gt, AND v6 are all the EXACT same. no difference nothing nada!!! i know this for fact as we have had all 4 as project cars.

if you are shifting from 2-3 at 7k you are NOT experiencing skip shift....

skip shift ONLY occurs between 1-2 and at low rpms. like granny shifting .

most likely at that high rev you torqued the motor and tranny and the wimpy support bracket on the oem shifter caused misalignment.

bottom line...

get the MGW . it will resolve your issues....

BUT...

make sure at 7k you arent keeping your foot in the throttle on upshifts and hitting the rev limiter which will lock you out.

george

Users who are viewing this thread