Boss not worth installing bolt-ons...

poof100

Established Member
Just found out from Deranged2013 that VA does not have emissions testing :banana: and only safety inspections.

The money I was going to use on the TB/magnaflow catback will be forwarded to Kooks 7/8 LTH, Kooks catless quad h-pipe and MGW^

Thanks for all the info guys :beer: I wouldve spent money on parts I didnt need

It depends on what county you live in for emissions in VA. If you are in PW county, you have to do emissions every 2 years. Now for newer cars, you don't go on the "dyno" any more, they just hook up the computer to your OBD 2 port and run the emissions test. A safety inspection will also look for cats.

You just have to know where to go and if you have a good tuner, they can do some magic to avoid the emissions from throwing the cat code. As for visual inspection, you can have hallowed out cats or just "shells".

As for mods, I wouldn't do a Throttle body as others have said. I'd consider doing Over Axle pipes though to get rid of the resonators and the stock pipes are pretty narrow.

What coffee n cars did you go too? Some in the area are hit or miss. The area used to be great for some fast cars, but the scene is pretty tame these days in NoVa.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
It depends on what county you live in for emissions in VA. If you are in PW county, you have to do emissions every 2 years. Now for newer cars, you don't go on the "dyno" any more, they just hook up the computer to your OBD 2 port and run the emissions test. A safety inspection will also look for cats.

You just have to know where to go and if you have a good tuner, they can do some magic to avoid the emissions from throwing the cat code. As for visual inspection, you can have hallowed out cats or just "shells".

As for mods, I wouldn't do a Throttle body as others have said. I'd consider doing Over Axle pipes though to get rid of the resonators and the stock pipes are pretty narrow.

What coffee n cars did you go too? Some in the area are hit or miss. The area used to be great for some fast cars, but the scene is pretty tame these days in NoVa.

I'm going to get a test right before I install the parts as I will only be stationed here for 2 1/2 more years. And will keep the stock parts to throw back on just in case I have to test again before I head out.

I went to the cars&coffee in fairfax at the khols parking lot. It was my first time attending one and it wasnt bad at all. People tended to stay in their car group and not socialize much. Amazing cars though
Photos - The Northern Virginia Sports Car Club (Centreville, VA) - Meetup
My boss is the one next to the 65 or 66 mustang

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Good choice! FYI, the Magnaflow Comp CB sound amazing with full offroad exhaust...and you can always find em used online :)

Thats what I heard! But I usually like to use one brand when doing full exhaust. Right now its looking like the Kooks LTH, Kooks o/r quad h-pipe and kooks side exhaust. Anyone know if this will hook right up to the stock over axle?

EDIT: h-pipe is 3" with 2 3/4" outlet to OEM pipes out back

Last edited:

Ochoblanco

Established Member
Thats what I heard! But I usually like to use one brand when doing full exhaust. Right now its looking like the Kooks LTH, Kooks o/r quad h-pipe and kooks side exhaust. Anyone know if this will hook right up to the stock over axle?

EDIT: h-pipe is 3" with 2 3/4" outlet to OEM pipes out back

You'll still have the stock mufflers out the back that will limit your sound.

poof100

Established Member
I'm going to get a test right before I install the parts as I will only be stationed here for 2 1/2 more years. And will keep the stock parts to throw back on just in case I have to test again before I head out.

I went to the cars&coffee in fairfax at the khols parking lot. It was my first time attending one and it wasnt bad at all. People tended to stay in their car group and not socialize much. Amazing cars though
Photos - The Northern Virginia Sports Car Club (Centreville, VA) - Meetup
My boss is the one next to the 65 or 66 mustang

The Kohls one on Sundays isn't bad, surprised to see 3 Bosses there. I'm heading to Mustang Week this weekend for the week, but will probably hit up Kohls in a few weeks when I'm back. I'll shoot you a PM when I plan on going. There's another coffee n cars on Sat mornings in Great Falls that is pretty good.

Para81

Established Member
I agree with them the Boss 302 is pretty well sorted and track ready right out of the factory. I wouldn't mess with it too much. Red Key and done.

AED tune just to get the 8,200 rpm is something I will consider.

darreng505

Established Member
I agree with them the Boss 302 is pretty well sorted and track ready right out of the factory. I wouldn't mess with it too much. Red Key and done.

I was told by a Ford Racing technician recently not to tune the stock motor above 8000rpm...

Ochoblanco

Established Member

Trackey is really nothing special at all. Get it tuned by whoever you choose (Lund, Lito, AED) but don't limit yourself to the Trackey.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
The Kohls one on Sundays isn't bad, surprised to see 3 Bosses there. I'm heading to Mustang Week this weekend for the week, but will probably hit up Kohls in a few weeks when I'm back. I'll shoot you a PM when I plan on going. There's another coffee n cars on Sat mornings in Great Falls that is pretty good.
Yeah message me if you go to either cars&coffee. Hopefully I'll have my mods on by then.

Trust me , I am very content with just having the trackey and GT500 mufflers. Every morning on the drive to work it's like driving it for the first time again. Unlike my 2006 GT, where the power got old in week lol.

86Fbody

Established Member

I would think at 8200 RPM you would need a different balancer as I thought the Boss was balanced to 7800 or maybe 8000

DA BOSS 13

Established Member
Just found out from Deranged2013 that VA does not have emissions testing :banana: and only safety inspections.

The money I was going to use on the TB/magnaflow catback will be forwarded to Kooks 7/8 LTH, Kooks catless quad h-pipe and MGW^

Thanks for all the info guys :beer: I wouldve spent money on parts I didnt need

YOU DO have emissions testing in NORTHERN VIRGINIA............and SAFETY INSPECTION...................Certain RURAL parts of the state DO NOT have emissions testing, my area is one. In fact, my local gas station still had ethanol free gas till last year. I advise to find an emissions station that is cool, and don't modify anything that will generate a hard fault code. OR register the car in your home town if laws are more lax.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
YOU DO have emissions testing in NORTHERN VIRGINIA............and SAFETY INSPECTION...................Certain RURAL parts of the state DO NOT have emissions testing, my area is one. In fact, my local gas station still had ethanol free gas till last year. I advise to find an emissions station that is cool, and don't modify anything that will generate a hard fault code. OR register the car in your home town if laws are more lax.

Yeah he is from Ranoke, where there are no tests. But, I have two options. get an emissions test right before I install the mods, pass and opt for the every 2 years test. That way when nearing my Next test I will be PCS'ing. Or just slide the dude extra $ at the shop down the road. I already bought all the mods so no looking back

12C/OBoss

Established Member
I would think at 8200 RPM you would need a different balancer as I thought the Boss was balanced to 7800 or maybe 8000

Engineers spec'd the valvetrain to 8400 and if you want to run that RPM regularly you need the CJ crank gear, and an ATI balancer, and billet oil pump gears to be safe, otherwise...REV er' up!!!! 8400 is no issue on this motor. With the CJ intake, tune, headers, 13mm lift exhaust cams, and above safety mods...well, close to 500 RWHP on a Mustang dyno should be no problem! If the motor can take 785 RWHP on a Kenne Bell, 1024 RWHP with a ProCharger, then 8400 RPM and 500 RWHP is a walk in the park!!

RTD

Established Member
The Boss will respond to the basic mods like a CAI, tune and off road mid pipe just like a GT. Same for headers, though the cost/benefit ratio to headers on either car is steep compared to the other mods. I'd also look at weight reduction - lightweight wheels, straight through mufflers, a 1 piece aluminum or CF driveshaft, and a fiberglass hood will cut weight by well over 100 lbs and much of it is sprung weight.

As for starting with a GT being better, maybe if you wanted to build an all out drag car you'd be better off with a base GT with an auto and no other options, but the MSRP on a Boss was about the same as a loaded Premium GT and only a few grand more than a loaded base GT. For me it was a no-brainer to get the Boss. I'm waiting until the warranty runs out to start modding though.

Ochoblanco

Established Member
I'm waiting until the warranty runs out to start modding though.

It appears most Boss owners feel this way probably due to the price/appeal of the vehicle and the distinct possibility that they will increase in value over time instead of drop. I am in the minority on this site clearly...I am not worried about my forged bottom end especially running NA. I don't track the car much so I just said f*ck it. Intake, exhaust, tune...YIKES.

Shaun@AED

No point (IMO) spinning these engines past 7999RPM.
As soon as it hits 8k TiVCT reverts back to zero on the next gear change and takes ~1 second to ramp back to 'OP' specs (optimal performance).
Drag strip testing has shown a 4mph difference in shifting just above 8k vs just below 8k (4mph in favor of shifting lower). All this from TiVCT reverting back to zero killing power production for 1 second after any gear change.

If you shift at 7999RPM, this does not happen.
For this reason I limit GT's to 7950, but most Boss owners want 8200-8400 limits.

HeLLFiRe xx

Run your car, not mouth.
Established Member
I say mod it up... I am currently installing my vortech on my boss... Already have full exhaust starting with ARH 1 7/8 long tubes... And for all you guys saying he will make 440 plus wheel with full exhaust that is a bit of a longshot... With a set of NICE headers and other bolt ons you should expect to see roughly 30 -35 wheel.... I know the tri y manifolds r an old design but the way the boss is set up is pretty efficient from the factory... One big difference maker is an aluminum or cf driveshaft... Definitely is the most noticed bolt on for the driver... Shaftmasters is the way to go if u go aluminum btw... And as for Shaun's comment... He's right... Absolutely no point in shifting after 8k... Actually even 8k is pointless for most boss owners... U want your shift extension to bring u back to peak torque... And the motors don't continue to make more power after 7500... At least not with stock intake... They may not fall off... But there is no point in revving if your not going to gain power from doing it... Just my two cents :)

Last edited:

86Fbody

Established Member
Engineers spec'd the valvetrain to 8400 and if you want to run that RPM regularly you need the CJ crank gear, and an ATI balancer, and billet oil pump gears to be safe, otherwise...REV er' up!!!! 8400 is no issue on this motor. With the CJ intake, tune, headers, 13mm lift exhaust cams, and above safety mods...well, close to 500 RWHP on a Mustang dyno should be no problem! If the motor can take 785 RWHP on a Kenne Bell, 1024 RWHP with a ProCharger, then 8400 RPM and 500 RWHP is a walk in the park!!

May have spec'ed the valve train, doesn't mean the harmonic balancer is good above 8k RPM, and before you go saying that 8200 is only slightly above 8k take a look at what a very small imbalance will do to a centrifuge.

Users who are viewing this thread