Boss not worth installing bolt-ons...

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
I went to a local cars&coffee recently and got to meet two other Boss owners. We chatted a bit about the local car scene and about some of the cars present. The conversation was starting to get dull so I had to ask, "So what have you guys done to your car?" In which, I got a reply something along these lines, "If you wanted to mod a car you should've got the GT. These cars are so well done from the factory that if you wanted power you would need to go forced induction."

I know these cars are nearly maxed out from the factory but theres plenty of room to make power with bolt ons, right? I explained that I am ordering headers, full exhuast, 84.5mm TB, Airaid Parnelli Jones synthamax cai and AED tune. One of the guys said that shorty headers are a waste of money, I could somewhat agree with that. He also stated that long tubes are only good for torque and that the stock TB is just as good at the FR 84.5mm.

I understand that the roadrunners are not going to respond as well terminators to mods but come on. I am really wasting my time and $ with the 84.5mm TB, Airaid part #453-174, jegs cat deletes, Magnaflow catback #15166, SCT X3 and tune?

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
No way, theres plenty of room to grow in ESPECIALLY a BOSS...
LOLZ@ those guys

HEMI LOL

Twin Screwed
Established Member
in some respects they are right.....depending on what you want from your car. with a nice set of tires, a boss is a very capable track weapon.

you have to figure that most of the CC crowd is into just that. washing their car and then driving one a week on sat morning. so to them its plenty of car.

with those mods your boss will make 450whp+ and be very fast, and more importantly FUN.

for a NA engine the roadrunner responds VERY well to mods. go for it brother, enjoy your car.

Grant808

Established Member
I understand the sentiment. The only thing I've done to my Boss are Trackey and cooling mods for road racing. But anyone who says you should have gotten a GT is wrong too. Even with several Boss mods to my GT...it's still not the same. But for the 1/4 mile...I do think that a modded GT is the practical way to go. Auto GT with a Boss engine swap is the way I'd go for the 1/4 mile.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Mod away.
Throttle body is not needed, but long tubes, ditching the cats and a tune will wake the Boss up!

Trust me, I've heard the "why did you buy a Boss if you were going to mod it" question a million times. :rollseyes

Deranged2013

Established Member
The Boss has way more potential. You can turn this car into a beast. But, everyone has there own opinion about modding cars. The Boss also has potential of being a rare car worth more than what you paid for it, IF you keep it original and take care of it. That's probably what these guys where thinking. I'm a HP junky and so I'm modding. If I decide to sell, I will put it back to stock and make some money! Keep your stock parts! These cars will have a decent resale value when the market dries up.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
in some respects they are right.....depending on what you want from your car. with a nice set of tires, a boss is a very capable track weapon.

you have to figure that most of the CC crowd is into just that. washing their car and then driving one a week on sat morning. so to them its plenty of car.

with those mods your boss will make 450whp+ and be very fast, and more importantly FUN.

for a NA engine the roadrunner responds VERY well to mods. go for it brother, enjoy your car.
One of the guys, owns plenty of mustangs and other cars. I could see the Boss being the weekend warrior. But the other guy, who made the comment about modding a GT instead of a Boss is in the process of going turbo. Seems like a horsepower junkie and thats why I looked so deep into the comments he made about bolt ons.
Mod away.
Throttle body is not needed, but long tubes, ditching the cats and a tune will wake the Boss up!

Trust me, I've heard the "why did you buy a Boss if you were going to mod it" question a million times. :rollseyes
Are you saying that because of the cost in $ vs the reward in horse power? I swear I have a minor case of OCPD lol If i get a cold air intake I feel like I HAVE to get a throttle body
The Boss has way more potential. You can turn this car into a beast. But, everyone has there own opinion about modding cars. The Boss also has potential of being a rare car worth more than what you paid for it, IF you keep it original and take care of it. That's probably what these guys where thinking. I'm a HP junky and so I'm modding. If I decide to sell, I will put it back to stock and make some money! Keep your stock parts! These cars will have a decent resale value when the market dries up.
I like having rare cars but I also like modding. So I will for sure keep the stock parts, although I cant see myself ever selling the Boss :coolman:

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
Mod away.

yeah but your boss is slowww :poke: :rolling:

Unrealford

Established Member
Don't bother with a throttle body, I know of 2 Boss owners who didn't get any gains, including performance, hp, or a change in hp range increase whatsoever.

Deranged2013

Established Member
I like having rare cars but I also like modding. So I will for sure keep the stock parts, although I cant see myself ever selling the Boss :coolman:

Same here. I sold my GT thinking I would wait for the 15s to roll out but when I ran across this Boss, I had to have it, and now I don't even care about the new models coming out next year. I think I will try to keep this one but I will keep all the original parts just incase I get an itch. Until then, I will have all the fun I can in this car. That's what they are for, right? :burnout:

Ochoblanco

Established Member
I went to a local cars&coffee recently and got to meet two other Boss owners. We chatted a bit about the local car scene and about some of the cars present. The conversation was starting to get dull so I had to ask, "So what have you guys done to your car?" In which, I got a reply something along these lines, "If you wanted to mod a car you should've got the GT. These cars are so well done from the factory that if you wanted power you would need to go forced induction."

I know these cars are nearly maxed out from the factory but theres plenty of room to make power with bolt ons, right? I explained that I am ordering headers, full exhuast, 84.5mm TB, Airaid Parnelli Jones synthamax cai and AED tune. One of the guys said that shorty headers are a waste of money, I could somewhat agree with that. He also stated that long tubes are only good for torque and that the stock TB is just as good at the FR 84.5mm.

I understand that the roadrunners are not going to respond as well terminators to mods but come on. I am really wasting my time and $ with the 84.5mm TB, Airaid part #453-174, jegs cat deletes, Magnaflow catback #15166, SCT X3 and tune?

1. The offroad exhaust and tune will definitely wake the car up.
2. Add in LT's and the Airraid and you will have a 440+ rwhp car.
3. Maybe they were just saying that if taking it to the drag strip is your thing, the GT would have been the more practical way to go. :/

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
Don't bother with a throttle body, I know of 2 Boss owners who didn't get any gains, including performance, hp, or a change in hp range increase whatsoever.
Man that is just discouraging. I remember seeing a video by mm&ff with a 2012 CO Boss 302 and their bolt on process. Or maybe it was CJ pony parts? But anyways the Boss had picked up 15rwhp from the TB alone. Thats low enough as it is for $600. I'd be pretty pissed to spend that much coin just go gain nothing.
Same here. I sold my GT thinking I would wait for the 15s to roll out but when I ran across this Boss, I had to have it, and now I don't even care about the new models coming out next year. I think I will try to keep this one but I will keep all the original parts just incase I get an itch. Until then, I will have all the fun I can in this car. That's what they are for, right? :burnout:
Somethin about the Boss just draws you in. Before I bought it I was looking at 07-09 GT500's, 07-09 S281S's and 2010-2011 GT500's. The moment I saw this Boss I had to have it
1. The offroad exhaust and tune will definitely wake the car up.
2. Add in LT's and the Airraid and you will have a 440+ rwhp car.
3. Maybe they were just saying that if taking it to the drag strip is your thing, the GT would have been the more practical way to go. :/
My only problem with LT's is Virginias emission and safety inspection. Theyre pretty strict and I'll be living here for the next 2 1/2 years :-/
Installing and removing those would be costly ya know

Deranged2013

Established Member
My only problem with LT's is Virginias emission and safety inspection. Theyre pretty strict and I'll be living here for the next 2 1/2 years :-/
Installing and removing those would be costly ya know

Just have to know the right people. Lot's of long tubes running around VA. ;-)

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
This at least is nearly true. The FR TB is worth about 3HP, which makes it a massive waste of money.
0.0043 horsepower per dollar, totally worth it man. At least I can put that money into something else now.

darreng505

Established Member
Well, I don't think the GT has the forged internals the boss has, right?
And therefore the boss has a SIGNIFICANT advantage to accepting power than the GT. No contest.

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
yeah but your boss is slowww :poke: :rolling:
I am well aware of this. :rolling:

But anyways the Boss had picked up 15rwhp from the TB alone. T
A TB will not pick up that much HP. Like others said, spend your money elsewhere.
Did you do a shifter yet? An MGW will make a world of difference in your shifts.

USNjocson

CORPSMAN UP!
Established Member
I am well aware of this. :rolling:

A TB will not pick up that much HP. Like others said, spend your money elsewhere.
Did you do a shifter yet? An MGW will make a world of difference in your shifts.

Just found out from Deranged2013 that VA does not have emissions testing :banana: and only safety inspections.

The money I was going to use on the TB/magnaflow catback will be forwarded to Kooks 7/8 LTH, Kooks catless quad h-pipe and MGW^

Thanks for all the info guys :beer: I wouldve spent money on parts I didnt need

Ochoblanco

Established Member
Just found out from Deranged2013 that VA does not have emissions testing :banana: and only safety inspections.

The money I was going to use on the TB/magnaflow catback will be forwarded to Kooks 7/8 LTH, Kooks catless quad h-pipe and MGW^

Thanks for all the info guys :beer: I wouldve spent money on parts I didnt need

Good choice! FYI, the Magnaflow Comp CB sound amazing with full offroad exhaust...and you can always find em used online :)

Users who are viewing this thread