BOSS 5.0 iron block?

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
question..so the stroker kit'' the pistons ''do'' have the piston pin going though the bottom part of the ring ?

NO, a piston pin SHOULD NEVER INTERSECT THE OIL RING LIKE SOME OF THE CHINESE KITS DO, our oil rings do not intersect the piston pin.

and the crown thinkness on the side as got to be more than .120
measure from the outside of the ring..from the very top of the piston to the top of the first ring land?

Crown thickness has NOTHING to do with "side thickness" the dimension you are refering to on our Manley pistons is well over .320

Whippedmach

Established Member
So couple things for any one intrested in the Boss 5.0 block, as mine is almost fully assembled, should be dropping it in the car next wed. 1. Diamond has ovestock BB pistons for 75% off right now i paid 375 for all 8 pistons, pins, and HP total Seal SS rings. not to shabby, only down side was the compression was much lower than i wanted but i'm just going to up the boost

2. upon installing my Primary chain guides, the block did not have the two dowls that the guides pivot on. so i had to order these they should be here tmr. but any one building one, look and see if u have them or not.

Whippedmach

Established Member
31521_1423268378360_1132251334_1267374_5770846_n.jpg

Whippedmach

Established Member
I had to temporarily throw everything on the block to get an idea of what it would look like, cant wait for the dowls so i can finish this thing.

BTW the covers look much darker in person its just the camera. they are the crinkle blue

RoadRash

Established Member
So couple things for any one intrested in the Boss 5.0 block, as mine is almost fully assembled, should be dropping it in the car next wed. 1. Diamond has ovestock BB pistons for 75% off right now i paid 375 for all 8 pistons, pins, and HP total Seal SS rings. not to shabby, only down side was the compression was much lower than i wanted but i'm just going to up the boost

2. upon installing my Primary chain guides, the block did not have the two dowls that the guides pivot on. so i had to order these they should be here tmr. but any one building one, look and see if u have them or not.

1. It may be too late for you but those pistons are only rated for 600hp. They are not coated and way too low on compression. Talk to Diamond. I'm assuming that since you are building a 5.0 motor, you will be running more than 600hp ..

I'm going with a Diamond coated piston and total seal rings with the proper dish for 9:1 compression. Something like this: Livernois Pistons

2. Nice to know. Did you get the dowel pins at ford or somewhere like napa?

3. Is the water pump different? In the back of my mind, I thought I read that it uses the 3 valve revised water pump. Can anyone confirm?

Dude, that motor looks awesome! I am going to power coat the valve covers blue as well. How about the timing cover? Did you power coat it? If so, what color?

RoadRash

Established Member
One more thing. Are the ARP head & main studs the same as the 4.6l or are they different?

EDIT: Answer: they are the same.

Last edited:

EvilTwins

I can't find my pulley!
Established Member
Wow the price sure has come down on these, I paid $1999 for mine when it came out.. What a bitch considering the engine still isn't in my car :p

Whippedmach

Established Member
Huh, well hopefully i'm the only one who got screwed on the dowl thing i ordered them from ford like 4.50 a peice,

As far as the pistons go i'll have to contact diamond, but from my understanding Coatings have nothing to do with what a piston can hold. The metallurgy of the Pistons determines the power.. And i would have hoped when i discussed with the diamond rep what i was building and i was shooting for slightly over 800rwhp he would have mentioned the pistons wouldnt have worked but who knows?

From my understanding coatings are there for a couple things, Side skirt coatings, mainly only for initial startup, and the ceramic coatings and such, do dissapate heat better, but mainly only offer a bit of a saftey barrior to detonation, during tunning process ect...

And yeah the timing cover and all the brackets, with lower intake are powdercoated black.

Whippedmach

Established Member
Road rash, if u dont mind post up a pick of the other side of your block, so 1234. I'm curious about the upper cooling passage between 3-4, look at my pic and u will see what i'm talking about. If its the same as mine which i'm hoping it is i have a theory

Last edited:

RoadRash

Established Member
These pics are straight out of the FRPP box. No finish hone yet. When I get the pistons, I'm going to drop everything off at my engine builder and see what he wants to do as far as align boring and decking, etc .. Hopefully this will be late next week.

Evlklr: My dowel pins were in a baggie in the bottom of the FRPP box. I almost missed mine.

Last edited:

RoadRash

Established Member
Road rash, if u dont mind post up a pick of the other side of your block, so 1234. I'm curious about the upper cooling passage between 3-4, look at my pic and u will see what i'm talking about. If its the same as mine which i'm hoping it is i have a theory

Mine is different. It has a hole there and yours does not. Why is that?

Users who are viewing this thread