BOSS 5.0 iron block?

SlowSVT

Established Member
hey man these blocks blocks ,what are they based on? a romeo .windsor .or teski ? for like the main brgs.
the ms 2007 h bgs are they heat treated ?

also is the rear most brg. the same as the 4.6 with the half moon thrust washer ? i havent put both motors side by side.
my boos block has been in my cars trunk now since monday. i need to bring it to the machine shop .tomorrow.

This casting to me is more like an "iron Teksid block". The main bearing bulkheads are double wall hollow core similar to the aluminum block (the factory iron block has a single wall web), the bores are Siamesed, the caps are vented between each bank the same way and I think the Teksid lacks the jackscrews but don't hold me to that. The Ford GT caps snuggle right up to the side skirts in the block just like the Boss 5.0.

Regarding the radial load imposed on the 1st main bearing without the use of the pulley support. It doesn't matter what block you have. It's the load the bearing and crank shaft will be subjected to. Bearing faces are generally made from soft alloys like babbit (lead/tin), aluminum and copper to name a few. The steel (or aluminum with regard to the factory bearings) backing is only there to provide stiffness so the shells maintain roundness but don't do much more then that. The philosophy here is any tiny bits of foreign material that finds it's way to the bearings gets imbedded into the soft facing material and then becomes part of the bearing surface rather then ripping up the crankshaft journals.

Be careful having that 160 lb potential projectile in the back of the pick-up. I remember driving 200 miles having a full-up 392 hemi engine in the VW bus :uh oh: Any kind of an accident and I would have been a "gone'R"! :nonono:

DevilSun

Established Member
Be careful having that 160 lb potential projectile in the back of the pick-up. I remember driving 200 miles having a full-up 392 hemi engine in the VW bus :uh oh: Any kind of an accident and I would have been a "gone'R"! :nonono:
Not to mention a poor destroyed BOSS block :( :lol1:

cobra=trouble

Established Member
I like the stock bearing support.

OMG.. my machine shop is way behind on work,

I brought them a B.B.C to them 3 weeks ago. they still have not started on that motor yet?
he asked me when did i need it done, i say no rush 2 weeks will be okay..
still got my boss block in my mercedes trunk still rolling around.

i might have to bring my motor to another person who is good also.

and get my 2400 bucks back from the B.B.C they have not touched yet for a customer of mine.

if i do that i will never go back there again, they have done at least 20 motors for me in the past 8 years or so. but this is getting redickulos now. hell all they have to do is the machince work.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I like the stock bearing support.

OMG.. my machine shop is way behind on work,

I brought them a B.B.C to them 3 weeks ago. they still have not started on that motor yet?
he asked me when did i need it done, i say no rush 2 weeks will be okay..
still got my boss block in my mercedes trunk still rolling around.

i might have to bring my motor to another person who is good also.

and get my 2400 bucks back from the B.B.C they have not touched yet for a customer of mine.

if i do that i will never go back there again, they have done at least 20 motors for me in the past 8 years or so. but this is getting redickulos now. hell all they have to do is the machince work.

Be patient with the machine shop. If you told them "2 weeks" what registered in their minds was "4-6 weeks". If they have done 20 motors for you and you have had good experiences with them and are a good customer they should take care of you. Bring it to another machine shop and the process starts all over again :nonono: They were jammed-up when you handed it to them, they just stuck you in the "que". Racers and business's usually get preferential treatment :cuss:

$2400 :eek:

What are they doing that costs so much? Clearance hone, linebore, deck :shrug: ...........over 2 times what the block cost

cobra=trouble

Established Member
there good just backed up..im trying to hold out.. the other place is sorts far away.
will wait, not bug them too much i know all of them good up there. my BBC customer is bugging me is it ready yet ???
im waiting on head money still. almost in the safe to spend range,

DevilSun

Established Member
What PTW clearance are you running on the Diamonds?
Found all my specs today when it got uncrated. If I'm reading it right and this is the right one, I think it says 0035 (assuming 0.035). No idea where the decimal is, that's the only "clearance" spec I have on piston specs.

The specs on the cams are ridiculous, I think they're gonna be nassssty :)

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Found all my specs today when it got uncrated. If I'm reading it right and this is the right one, I think it says 0035 (assuming 0.035). No idea where the decimal is, that's the only "clearance" spec I have on piston specs.

.0035 ? 3 AND A HALF MAYBE ? not sure what mine are . they ROSS's

Com''on cam spec's what 242 @ .050 ?

SlowSVT

Established Member

If the clearance is .035 you're already on your last oversize LOL

.0035" sounds about right (three and a half thousands). CP is calling for .0045" on mine :eek: I haven't put the engine together yet and I already have piston slap :nonono: I got to look into this before I head for that Sunnen 10

DevilSun

Established Member
I have no clue, there is no consistency in the numbers and the decimal place, but I can surely say I see 0035 so insert the decimal accordingly :) I could definitely understand .0035 if that helps

That cam spec guess is pretty high surprisingly, but some of the others are different than a lot of off the shelf grinds so I'll just wait until I get it fired up to give ya the full tour so to speak.

Last edited:

sonic cobra

Established Member
Back to pistons for a bit. From what I've read so far, looks like the private label diamond pistons I'm looking at will do well in the stock iron block:

dome thickness- .300" - .340" (Ceramic coated)
skirts- .135" at minor thickness(Teflon Coated)
compression distance- .010" deck clearance
Ring grooves- top ring minimum .300" down and cut for Total Seal AP steel rings
Pins- H13 Tool steel pins with Spirolocks
Offset pins- .050" wrist pin offset
What do you guys think? Street car with 550rwhp. 3 or 4 track days / year, no drag racing.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
i also think ring gap is going to be a big issuse too. the boss block, has no water between the cylinder so i think A little more ring gap is req. ?

SlowSVT

Established Member
Back to pistons for a bit. From what I've read so far, looks like the private label diamond pistons I'm looking at will do well in the stock iron block:

dome thickness- .300" - .340" (Ceramic coated)
skirts- .135" at minor thickness(Teflon Coated)
compression distance- .010" deck clearance
Ring grooves- top ring minimum .300" down and cut for Total Seal AP steel rings
Pins- H13 Tool steel pins with Spirolocks
Offset pins- .050" wrist pin offset
What do you guys think? Street car with 550rwhp. 3 or 4 track days / year, no drag racing.

Any piston will do well in an iron block (the bore won't expand as much as aluminum and will stay "rounder").

Sounds like a nice piston you got spec'ed there and will handle way more hp then 550 :thumbsup:

SlowSVT

Established Member
i also think ring gap is going to be a big issuse too. the boss block, has no water between the cylinder so i think A little more ring gap is req. ?

The ring gap is more if a function of how much power (heat) the engine will make. The block has nothing to do with where to set the ring gap. Just follow the mfg's recommendations but keep it on the high-side to be safe (larger gap). Too small of a gap will cause the rings to bind and score the cylinder walls.

The siamese bore can cause the cylinders to distort since there is a web between them preventing the cylinders to expand evenly abound the entire bore plus the heat expanding webbing itself will push against both side of the cylinders. The iron only expands at half the rate of aluminum and don't run that hot so not to worry. The webs do help stiffen the block though

Whippedmach

Established Member
Dude .. that is an awesome looking build .. so you made 727rwhp on pump? what were your mods? Cause I have GT cams, Livernois stage 2 ported heads, kooks LT's, etc .. Looks to be similar ..

It came out of local pump down the street lol. I am running E85 , The Car at that time made the 727RWHP on 19.5#'s of boost, Bob Kurgan tune, Unfortunatley the car also started going too Lean at 5600 as my pump was not large enough, the car was on track to make around 780 or so had i had a large enough pump.

I have scince put a Bigger pump on the car and added 4#'s and a manual tensioner, Its PRP tuned currently and i am expecting it to easily make over 800 i hope to have new numbers in the next couple weeks,

Motor wise, i have 25cc dish diamonds (8.2-1 Compression) unffortunatley, too good of a deal on pistons to pass up $300 new from diamond complete with accessories. Ported heads, intake, GT Cams, Kooks, 80#hr injectors, which are set at a base fuel pressure of 60 psi, i really need bigger injectors, and of course whipple 3.4l stock lower and 3.5 upper, once i get injectors, i'll put a 3.0 upper on it and try to hit just over 900rwhp should be close we shall see. But yeah i dont know what pulley combo u are running but sounds like we have a pretty much identical setup. Boss block FTW

Last edited:

DevilSun

Established Member
Ok, last thread jacking for me :) I'll start a thread of my own soon enough. I'm just so giddy to see this and only be a month or month and half away from driving it again...after three and a half years...that I had to share this picture (even a glimpse of my car in the background)

WP_000162.jpg

F yeah! :rolling::rockon::coolman:

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea no kidding.. now if my tax return would just get here already I could finish it off with some pistons lol.

SSeatr

Established Member
i forgot i made this thread and damn it took off huh..nice im going to begin reading it ALL 11 PAGES!!

Users who are viewing this thread