BOSS 5.0 iron block?

SlowSVT

Established Member
Gotcha thank you for all that.. I'm pretty sure my rod bolts are just fine.. I have the ARP catalog and I looked them up I wasn't quite sure though if you were talking about a different rod bolt.. I'll have to ask my builder which ones I have. :beer:

Yea, show me a mod motor with a thrown rod :dw:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea, show me a mod motor with a thrown rod :dw:

I haven't seen a built motor throw a rod.. I've seen stock blocked 96-01 cobras throw rods though.. But I think that my 2000 bolts will be just fine.. I'm not spinning the motor to 8-9k so yea I should be good lol. Thank for you help once again sir.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I haven't seen a built motor throw a rod.. I've seen stock blocked 96-01 cobras throw rods though.. But I think that my 2000 bolts will be just fine.. I'm not spinning the motor to 8-9k so yea I should be good lol. Thank for you help once again sir.

I think we are on the same page. I would not loose any sleep having ARP 2000 rod bolts. They are only really stressed during the intake cycle. On an FI engine the boost is taking some of the load off the bolts. On an NA mill the bolts get no such reprieve.

Whippedmach

Established Member
Finally got caught back up on this thread, granted its getting all over the place but here was my finished BOSS motor setup, right before i dropped her in the car, Running good Currently PRP tuned hoping to get it on a dyno in the next three weeks or so Previously made 727rwhp on 19#'s running out of pump, since added a bigger pump and boost (25#'s)should easily be over 800 now.

IMAG0171-1.gif

DevilSun

Established Member
I have the ARP2000 bolts, but the upgraded H13 wrist pins. As far as valve springs, they are Manley Nextec (221434-32). I'm trying to figure out whether i want to go with the ATI Super Balancer damper and keep my stock lower cage+pulley, or go with the Innovators West with integrated Metco hub and do a 2 or 4# lower. I definitely want to be able to spin this thing say up to about 7500 but probably won't be held there for long. Input on the balancer? I am running a new Kellogg crank if that matters

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
I'm going to be running a Innovators West pulley, so that is what I recommend plus it's really pretty lol.. Not that that matters but still. :beer: God damn your engine build is rediculous.

DevilSun

Established Member
Whoops, I guess the ATI isn't threaded inside from the looks of it so it won't work. Romac or IW I think are our choices for the 2 belt system. You running stock lower or Metco rings?

SlowSVT

Established Member
I would be reluctant to run a two belt accessory dive system without the bearing support.

Without that, the radial load of the supercharger and the alternator will be carried over to the #1 main bearing :eek: The snout of the supercharger extends far out to clear the primary belt and brackets which amplifies that load even further. Then you got to consider what the oil pump thinks about being in the middle of all this :uh oh:

There is quite a distance between the blower drive pulley and the first main bearing

cobra=trouble

Established Member
I would be reluctant to run a two belt accessory dive system without the bearing support.

Without that, the radial load of the supercharger and the alternator will be carried over to the #1 main bearing :eek: The snout of the supercharger extends far out to clear the primary belt and brackets which amplifies that load even further. Then you got to consider what the oil pump thinks about being in the middle of all this :uh oh:

There is quite a distance between the blower drive pulley and the first main bearing
hey man these blocks blocks ,what are they based on? a romeo .windsor .or teski ? for like the main brgs.
the ms 2007 h bgs are they heat treated ?

also is the rear most brg. the same as the 4.6 with the half moon thrust washer ? i havent put both motors side by side.
my boos block has been in my cars trunk now since monday. i need to bring it to the machine shop .tomorrow.

01trublue cobra

Established Member
Those of you with the Boss block. Did you feel a big difference in torque with the added cubes?
Those of you with the Boss block. Did you feel a big difference in torque with the added cubes?
Those of you wThose of you with the Boss block. Did you feel a big difference in torque with the added cubes?

DevilSun

Established Member
Out of the handful of people I know on here that have them, they're all in the process of being built and/or installed, and aren't running yet...including mine. Mine is going to be mostly installed in the next day or two, but won't be running for a few more weeks. Once running though it's getting dyno tuned and of course results posted.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
Those of you wThose of you with the Boss block. Did you feel a big difference in torque with the added cubes?
i don't know yet either still in progress....I'am still planning my next heist.
..........................:lol:

RoadRash

Established Member
Out of the handful of people I know on here that have them, they're all in the process of being built and/or installed, and aren't running yet...including mine. Mine is going to be mostly installed in the next day or two, but won't be running for a few more weeks. Once running though it's getting dyno tuned and of course results posted.

+1 .. mine is an ongoing saga for the last year. I hope to have it in next week .. then I will post like a mofo

Last edited:

DevilSun

Established Member
RoadRash, you have the full Evans cooling stuff on your car? What did you end up doing for the coolant outlet to the radiator? Anything special?

I am very interested in RoadRash getting his up and running, he's been one a few very helpful guides in this process for me :)

RoadRash

Established Member
Finally got caught back up on this thread, granted its getting all over the place but here was my finished BOSS motor setup, right before i dropped her in the car, Running good Currently PRP tuned hoping to get it on a dyno in the next three weeks or so Previously made 727rwhp on 19#'s running out of pump, since added a bigger pump and boost (25#'s)should easily be over 800 now.

Dude .. that is an awesome looking build .. so you made 727rwhp on pump? what were your mods? Cause I have GT cams, Livernois stage 2 ported heads, kooks LT's, etc .. Looks to be similar ..

RoadRash

Established Member
RoadRash, you have the full Evans cooling stuff on your car? What did you end up doing for the coolant outlet to the radiator? Anything special?

I am very interested in RoadRash getting his up and running, he's been one a few very helpful guides in this process for me :)

Thanks buddy .. I dont have the Evans setup (yet) but what I did was go from the oil adapter (2") to a generic 2" elbow hose to an exhaust reducer to about 1.5" (or 1.25" not sure) into the stock thermostat housing. It aint pretty but it works. I'll redo it with the full setup like JamesHell did later .. just want to get this thing running ... :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread