Boss 302S Testing video

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
:pepper::banana::pepper::banana::pepper::banana:

:dancenana::dancenana::dancenana:

Challengers and Camaros should be afraid! Very afraid!!!

;-):poke::p

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
WOW! The sound of that thing singing up top, MAN OH MAN!
Thanks for posting that Mark!

This is the second video I have seen where the tach feature was either broke or disabled.
Which makes me wonder is this on purpose to avoid rule changes from governing bodies who in the past have, IMHO been overly restrictive on Mustang power and weight?:shrug:

Open discussion of engine capability can be a dicey subject in a competitive environment. I get keeping certain capabilities close to the vest.

I was just wondering, because the BMWs are shy 1 liter and are obviously ringing theirs up pretty high, and have been getting weight breaks compared to us.

Is this something that can be talked about?

EDIT: LOL! Can we also talk about the MYSTERY VEHICLE???

Last edited:

Andy M

Established Member
The sound of that engine at full song is nothing short of intoxicating! What a machine!!!!! :banana::banana::rockon:

Bruce, you ready to do some bowtie :bash: ?

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member

Bruce... how would you guess your R (on it's best day) would do up against the Boss 302S?

Last edited:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
The sound of that engine at full song is nothing short of intoxicating! What a machine!!!!! :banana::banana::rockon:

Bruce, you ready to do some bowtie :bash: ?

No Doubt!!! :-D

Bruce... how would you guess your R (on it's best day) would do up against the Boss 302S?

Well Brian, at first I was under the impression that my R was going to be slightly faster. My fast lap at Road America in my R (the first and only time I drove it there with the new AL block Ford GT motor) I ran a 2:27. Marv (my tuner) thought the car is capable of a 2:26 and I can say with all honestly I agree with him. I just need to get more comfortable in the car.

I have had some conversations with some well connected people and they have convinced me that the Boss 302S will be faster! :dw: I'm not totally convinced of that (yet) but I do know where we can have both cars driven on the same track with equal drivers!! :idea: So it will be something we can find out for sure.

The upside of the new car is a motor with a decade of technological advancement over the 2000 Cobra R 5.4L motor. (ok, technically it's an engine but I'm a dinosaur) The new car has a MUCH more advanced chassis and suspension. It has a longer wheel base and better aero. (yes, better aero than a 2000R)

I hope to post video comparison of the two vehicles, I just need some time. Oh yeah, I also need the Boss as well! :read:

The Boss will need to be slightly detuned to compete in NASA AI because Ford hit a complete and total home run with this car! (thanks Mark!) I hope to maybe do a few select NASA events this year and if I am up to it (meaning I'm not working too hard) I may (no promise) try to qualify for NASA Nationals just to hang out with Mark, Dean and the boys. (those guys are a great time!!)

Stand by!!! :poke:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Is that a modded race version or is that the Boss that is for sale to the public? Laguna Seca model perhaps? Amazing!!!

Ray:

That is a Ford Racing race car, designated the Boss 302S. Not street legal, no VIN, just a FRPP serial number. VERY limited production.

Yes, available to the public but the order banks are now closed.

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Is that a modded race version or is that the Boss that is for sale to the public? Laguna Seca model perhaps? Amazing!!!

There are 4 versions of the BOSS 302 Mustang, Two are street legal with a vin, air bags, etc.

The regular BOSS 302 Mustang and the BOSS Laguna Seca(LS).

Then there are two turn key race cars without a street legal vin and are basically a part number in the FRPP catalog.

The BOSS 302S which was being tested in the video.

Then there is the BOSS 302R which is the Grand Am spec, seam welded car.

Powershift03

Clapped out race car
Established Member
Well Brian, at first I was under the impression that my R was going to be slightly faster. My fast lap at Road America in my R (the first and only time I drove it there with the new AL block Ford GT motor) I ran a 2:27. Marv (my tuner) thought the car is capable of a 2:26 and I can say with all honestly I agree with him. I just need to get more comfortable in the car.

I have had some conversations with some well connected people and they have convinced me that the Boss 302S will be faster! :dw: I'm not totally convinced of that (yet) but I do know where we can have both cars driven on the same track with equal drivers!! :idea: So it will be something we can find out for sure.

The upside of the new car is a motor with a decade of technological advancement over the 2000 Cobra R 5.4L motor. (ok, technically it's an engine but I'm a dinosaur) The new car has a MUCH more advanced chassis and suspension. It has a longer wheel base and better aero. (yes, better aero than a 2000R)

I hope to post video comparison of the two vehicles, I just need some time. Oh yeah, I also need the Boss as well! :read:

The Boss will need to be slightly detuned to compete in NASA AI because Ford hit a complete and total home run with this car! (thanks Mark!) I hope to maybe do a few select NASA events this year and if I am up to it (meaning I'm not working too hard) I may (no promise) try to qualify for NASA Nationals just to hang out with Mark, Dean and the boys. (those guys are a great time!!)

Stand by!!! :poke:

I figured with all the track mods to your car... it would make the Boss 302S work pretty hard to win. I agree in the years of technology since the 00R cars there have been HUGE strides. But, I know your R is better than the average 00R too! :lol1:

I think it's SO cool what Ford has on the table for us hot rod lovers. Yes, it's not cheap to get into some of these amazing new Stangs. But, I think the current line up of all out performance Mustangs rivals that of anything they had for offer in the 60's! Factory built drag cars, road race cars, and all out street performers. It's a GREAT trime to be a FORD guy!!

To Mark, and the others at Ford.... THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

I figured with all the track mods to your car... it would make the Boss 302S work pretty hard to win. I agree in the years of technology since the 00R cars there have been HUGE strides. But, I know your R is better than the average 00R too! :lol1:

I think it's SO cool what Ford has on the table for us hot rod lovers. Yes, it's not cheap to get into some of these amazing new Stangs. But, I think the current line up of all out performance Mustangs rivals that of anything they had for offer in the 60's! Factory built drag cars, road race cars, and all out street performers. It's a GREAT trime to be a FORD guy!!

To Mark, and the others at Ford.... THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

I don't what all the mods are on Bruce's R but if he put a long arm/short arm front suspension on it, like a Griggs or an Agent 47 he would be a lot closer to BOSS302S lap times IMHO.:-D That and some weight reduction might put it ahead.

Maybe he already did???:shrug:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
There are a couple things to remember when comparing a Cobra R to a Boss 302S. The R was designed as a street legal car while the Boss 302S was designed as a purpose built race car. Can you get an R to the performance level of the Boss 302S? Is some ways yes but there are a few things you can't duplicate. ABS calibration comes to mind as one of the biggest things. The Boss 302S stops like a freight train! The engine is 100% stock internals and will be as reliable as any production car. I think it pulls stronger than the 00 Cobra R motor but I'll leave the final judgement up to people like Bruce who have MUCH more time than I do in a 00R. From a suspension standpoint I doubt I would touch a thing. This car is hooked up and drives like its on rails!!!!

Is there opportunities to make the Boss 302S faster? Heck ya! We left a few things off this car to keep the price down and there are a few features we are introducing on this car which will be added to the FRPPP race cars going forward. Constant improvement.....thats the game!! That being said we added a few items to the Boss 302S that weren't on the original spec sheet which owners will definitely appreciate!

I also want to thank everyone for their support as car like the Boss 302S wouldn't exist without you guys! :thumbsup:

Best part is that we aren't even close to being done yet!!! :rockon:

Last edited:

92whitestang

Established Member
couple of pics of the car from last weekend at HMS:

IMAG0415.jpg

IMAG0417.jpg

IMAG0418.jpg

dtheo

FUBAR Enforcer
Established Member

Bruce, Challengers and Camaros were afraid of the GT, this thing is a new level of wickedness!!:beer:

............the real question I have for you, are you buying one?:bowdown:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
92whitestang - Wish I would have known you were going to be there as we could have shown you even more!

You must have been there early to get those shots of the 302S. It was only out for about 45 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread