Boss 302 intake installed on 3.31 car, impressions.....

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Installed it today.

The install was relatively easy. It was a bitch to remove the rear clips that hold the wiring harness to the back of the intake, so they got the wire cutter. The LMR "install" kit that assists with relocating the purge line is a waste of time. I used the line and the clamps, but that was about it. Just get two feet of 3/8 fuel line and some clamps instead. I just zip tied the fitting to the block.

Impressions. I was expecting this hard top end pull that I had read about. What I got was a flat, linear pull up to 7500 rpm. It revs effortlessly up there, but there is no real "top end kick." On the first pass, with cold hydraulic fluid, I had no problems banging gears through 4th. After a couple more pulls, the fluid was hot and the clutch was exhibiting some stick. I better remember to pump the clutch a few times before staging. I don't really feel a huge loss of torque, but I have the Accufab TB on there and that may make a big difference. I really cannot say.

I will have to spend some time with it. Right now, it is really not that much different feeling to me, except it will wind into the butt pucker zone. My kid says the car feels faster as a passenger, if that is worth anything. :lol1:

Mike

Ivan 5.0

Established Member
Impressions. I was expecting this hard top end pull that I had read about. What I got was a flat, linear pull up to 7500 rpm. It revs effortlessly up there, but there is no real "top end kick."

That's exactly how I felt about it

steveofiveo

Established Member
M,

I have been contemplating this move for a very long time and haven't seen any real data to push me that it is worth it. I too have heard the stories of the infamous top end pull. I wonder if your car will be faster at the track ? What air intake did you use ? I wish you had a dyno pull with your stock intake vs the boss to really have hard data. Do you have any concerns about your stock clutch and other mechanical parts that could fail due to the increased shift point (over time obviouosly).

thx

S

byeofcr

Established Member
Thanks for ruining my joy of unwrapping the gift to myself lol
Oh well ill return it for springs/lcas

Shaun@AED

BossvsGTstockCAI_zps2755dac6.gif

Intake Manifold was the only change.

1Bad5.0

Established Member
Guys, dont go selling your Boss intakes just yet. Let Mike get to the track and get you some ET's and go from there. I for a fact know they work....i had C&L CAI and Tune only, and went [email protected] the Boss only and went [email protected] the DA was definitely a little better that day, but not that much different. Et's are not that bad for CAI, Boss and tune in an A6.....on STOCK tires.

clc44

Established Member
Guys, dont go selling your Boss intakes just yet. Let Mike get to the track and get you some ET's and go from there. I for a fact know they work....i had C&L CAI and Tune only, and went [email protected] the Boss only and went [email protected] the DA was definitely a little better that day, but not that much different. Et's are not that bad for CAI, Boss and tune in an A6.....on STOCK tires.

I live in New Orleans as well. Can't wait to get my hands on a A6 5.0.

scott_0

Established Member
these things are a waste of money on a street driven car imo

Napoleon85

Established Member

I disagree, but it depends on what kinda street driving you do. I love the smoother torque curve from the boss manifold when holding gears flying through twisty back roads, but my car is a manual. There are definitely gains at the track to be had, but you have to be able to hook up from a high rpm launch and shift halfway to the moon. The boss IM is also a no brainer with a Paxton/vortech, that combo just seems killer and if you look at the fastest cars that run paxtons/vortechs they all have the boss.

BPatterson

Established Member
I still don't care for mine on an everyday street driven 3.31 geared M6. I've GOT to do a gear swap soon! Sure is fun from a roll though.

Krace

Established Member
I can tell at higher RPM past 6k-7500 it pulls way better. The stock manifold did not pull past 6k hardly at all, felt like it ran out of breath (if that makes since). Versus my friends 5.0 with the stock manifold i start to out run him in top of 2nd. And it just keeps pulling harder after every shift.

Im really happy that i got the boss manifold, it did exactly what i wanted. Also going to use it for my Paxton setup, thats coming in March. :coolman:

Oh and yes i DD my car, so what? it does not affect DDing at all.

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor

I completely agree, If your only going to drive your car to work and the grocery store then you have no need for the boss IM.

But on the other hand when your actually going down the track with the boss IM and 3.73's your shifting at 7,500-7,900 and staying in your power band alot longer.

-Thomas

Users who are viewing this thread