Boss 302 Deck Lid Decal

Fordman9870

Proud Dad of Twin Marines
Established Member
Undecided here, The question is, how come ford didn't put anything on the back end to signify it is a Boss? Owners will recognize the spoiler and the flat black trunk panel but not many others will know till they pull along side of it. At least an LS has a different Faux gas cap emblem.
I did see there is a company that makes these and a guy on boss mustang owner assoc. facebook page is trying to do a group buy>>>
EMBLEMPROS.COM - GM LICENSED AND CUSTOM VEHICLE EMBLEMS - 2011 - 2013 Mustang BOSS 302 Custom Faux Gas Cap Emblem - your choice of color combo

Last edited:

5 DOT 0

Established Member
Undecided here, The question is, how come ford didn't put anything on the back end to signify it is a Boss? Owners will recognize the spoiler and the flat black trunk panel but not may others will know till they pull along side of it. At least an LS has a different Faux gas cap emblem.
I did see there is a company that makes these and a guy on boss mustang owner assoc. facebook page is trying to do a group buy>>>
EMBLEMPROS.COM - GM LICENSED AND CUSTOM VEHICLE EMBLEMS - 2011 - 2013 Mustang BOSS 302 Custom Faux Gas Cap Emblem - your choice of color combo
I always felt cheated with Ford using the V6 emblem so I solved that issue. FWIW I'm not wild about that emblem offering with glued on letters/numbers. An embossed emblem would look much nicer IMO.

LSEmblem.png

Boss949

Established Member
Unnecessary! IMO

Unnecessary? Concerning the Boss, I agree, that's what makes it a great car; needs almost nothing.

However, I thought it really added to the rear end, especially being a PW, looked good IMO. I probably will NOT do a personalized plate with the words "Boss" in it now; might be overkill.

NJSP117

Established Member
I think it looks pretty cool....to each his own I guess. Not sure I'd put it on mine...but I like the thought.
I do like that gas cap emblem, but would have liked it to have come directly from Ford instead of an add on...guess people will know it's a Boss when they pull alongside.

cjmclean

Established Member
I bought that emblem, haven't installed yet. The quality is actually really good and actual licensed Ford product.

3e3a2a6a.jpg

Boss949

Established Member
FYI: the Rear Deck Lid Decal comes from the 1971 Boss 302. No Rear Decal on 69 or 70.
We know there was no 1971 Boss 302; it was Boss 351?

However, check this link out for the interesting story of the 1971 Boss 302 that was changed at the last minute for the Boss 351.

Boss Mustang 35th Anniversary - The History Of - Mustang and Fords Magazine

click on the thumbnail of the Boss Pic for a close up of decal.

Last edited:

JSkwarek

BUY, MOD, SELL, REPEAT!
Established Member
I went a similar route but copied the look of the Boss 302R decal. I'm still back and forth on whether I'll keep it or not. Been debating dropping it and going with the emblem linked above from Emblem Pros.

797C0586-X2.jpg

Boss949

Established Member
I went a similar route but copied the look of the Boss 302R decal. I'm still back and forth on whether I'll keep it or not. Been debating dropping it and going with the emblem linked above from Emblem Pros.

I think on the Red car, the decal you have looks great. That's what I liked about the decal I got... black outline letters on White background looked good imo.

Boss949

Established Member
I think there was a 70 Boss 302, i know for certain there was a Boss 429, as my dad had a Grabber Blue one :)

My BAD; Typo; I edited to "We know there was no 71 Boss 302"

Thanks for pointing that out.

Boss 351 was manufactured in 1971.

Boss 429 was offered in 1969 and 1970; because of Nascar requirements.

859 Made in 1969
499 Made in 1970

Users who are viewing this thread