Boss 302 and 5.0 Radiator Interest

Are you interested in a Racing Radiator for your Boss or 5.0?

• Yes

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Yes, I would like to pre-order

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Van@RevanRacing

While working with C&R we developed a dual core racing radiator for the 2011 5.0, 2012 Boss and the Shelby GT350. These radiators have primarily been consumed by Shelby up to this point.

During testing with their boosted GT350's they were not heat soaking the engines.

This is the same core we use in the aftermarket GT500 radiator. It is a dual core radiator with close to 2X the capacity of the stock radiator. It is a direct replacement fit and is 100% Aluminum.

This radiator was specifically designed for the 2011 + Mustang GT and Boss 302's.

I know there has been some issues with cooling on the Boss on road courses during warmer days.

I also realize that there are other radiator offerings from Ford however none of the research I have conducted shows the dual core and proprietary split fin design we are using.

The price would be $750 shipped for the Revan Racing C&R 5.0/Boss Radiator.

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

While working with C&R we developed a dual core racing radiator for the 2011 5.0, 2012 Boss and the Shelby GT350. These radiators have primarily been consumed by Shelby up to this point.

During testing with their boosted GT350's they were not heat soaking the engines.

This is the same core we use in the aftermarket GT500 radiator. It is a dual core radiator with close to 2X the capacity of the stock radiator. It is a direct replacement fit and is 100% Aluminum.

This radiator was specifically designed for the 2011 + Mustang GT and Boss 302's.

I know there has been some issues with cooling on the Boss on road courses during warmer days.

I also realize that there are other radiator offerings from Ford however none of the research I have conducted shows the dual core and proprietary split fin design we are using.

The price would be $750 shipped for the Revan Racing C&R 5.0/Boss Radiator.

I've learned that the 2011 plus vehicles have a progressive fan controller and basically the fan shuts off at 45 mph and the only way to command a reduce ECT is with a tune. There are no high and low fan speed controls as we are accustom to with the 2010 and earlier models.

With this understanding and knowing that the trac key will likely command a lower ECT and possibly turn the fan off at a higher speed what is your thought on a larger radiator with a higher efficiency core.

I only want to bring the product to market with everybody having knowledge of how the cooling system functions today.

Shelby has been using it on the boosted GT350 and I have not gotten any heat soak feedback from those customers.

I would appreciate your input.

Thanks

Van

Van@RevanRacing

Boss Mustangs are having an overheating issue on track. The reason the 302S doesn't have an issue is the lack of an A/C condenser core and mostly like a different tune that runs the fan up to a higher speed.

A stock 5.0 has a radiator with the following dimensions.

1" thick-20" tall and 24.75" wide core

A Boss 5.0 has a radiator with the following dimensions.

1.75" thick-20" tall and 24" wide core

The Revan Racing / C&R Radiator has the following dimensions.

2.75" thick-21" tall and 24" wide core

One of the single biggest differences is that the 5.0 and Boss Radiators have plastic side tanks. We use aluminum side tanks and we also use a low speed racing radiator just like I have used for the GT500 applications.

This is from another forum.

TrackDay ButtonWillow 105 Degrees - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

Thus the reason why I am proposing the question and I appreciate all of your feedback.

dlarsen

Established Member
Van,

Too many unknowns for me at this point;

Known - The Boss 302 is going into limp mode on days when a regular 5.0 is not.

Known - The Boss 302 and LS cars have an oil to water cooling system.

Known - The Boss 302S have a oil to air cooler.

Might have missed it.....Is your radiator the one used in the Boss 302S?

Unknown……….Will this radiator be a guaranteed fix? If not then what?
There are a couple of other possible fixes;

Unknown…….One the Rehagen Racing Air-to-Oil cooler, but this doesn’t have a temp sensor and in a car that is dual purpose you could over cool the oil.

Unknown………..Two, the Cooltech LLC solution, yet to be released they are working an Oil-to-Air solution with a sensor?

Unknown………….Third this……..

from C-C.com post #2110

For what it's worth, the race cars struggle(d) with this issue as well. The race cars have modified water pumps. I can't speak overly intelligently about this, but allegedly it's believed to be cavitation around the coolant bypass or something.

You can see the fabricated coolant hose connection leading to the water pump in this photo:

wdmp_110708_1508.jpg

From I remember, the fabricated part shown above was an improvement over the OEM GT part. Some teams tried the OEM Boss part when it became available, but have reverted back to the fabricated set-up because the OEM Boss part wasn't as effective.

Sorry for the lack of concrete tech, but at the very least: apparently Ford Racing is aware of the issue, and I'd bet money that they're taking what they learn with the race cars and incorporating it into a fix for the "street" Boss. Make sure your dealer, etc., are aware of your problem, and be patient for a permanent fix.

I would like to see where this all goes before chasing parts.

This is of course my option…….

But,I would be open to you sending me a radiator, I'll install, test it and report report back here!;-)

Van@RevanRacing

All Valid Points.

Thus the reason why I wanted to ask the question before offering the product. If you look closely at the picture attached below you'll see the manufacturer of the radiator used in the S. It's made by PWR.

Our radiator is not what is used in the S and is less expensive. We are using a specific core for the application.

The craziest thing about testing is that you're going to get data.

I've got a couple of guys that have offered up to test the radiator.

What I honestly need is someone who has overheated the car and has data logs of the car going into limp mode. Hopefully they also have all of the correct PIDS selected so I can analyze the data.

Van,

Too many unknowns for me at this point;

Known - The Boss 302 is going into limp mode on days when a regular 5.0 is not.

Known - The Boss 302 and LS cars have an oil to water cooling system.

Known - The Boss 302S have a oil to air cooler.

Might have missed it.....Is your radiator the one used in the Boss 302S?

Unknown……….Will this radiator be a guaranteed fix? If not then what?
There are a couple of other possible fixes;

Unknown…….One the Rehagen Racing Air-to-Oil cooler, but this doesn’t have a temp sensor and in a car that is dual purpose you could over cool the oil.

Unknown………..Two, the Cooltech LLC solution, yet to be released they are working an Oil-to-Air solution with a sensor?

Unknown………….Third this……..

from C-C.com post #2110

I would like to see where this all goes before chasing parts.

This is of course my option…….

But,I would be open to you sending me a radiator, I'll install, test it and report report back here!;-)

madtrav2003

Horsepower Whore
Established Member
I can honestly say that I have over heated my car on the Nurburgring racing. I have a 2012 5.0 with a roush tvs and 3/4 through the track the car got hot and had to limp it to the finish line. Didn't do with 6psi. Did it with 9.5 psi and scared to race it again til I know the problem is resolved.

Fat Boss

Established Member
I'd be interested to see some data on how much heat your radiator can transfer vs. the stock Boss radiator. Sizing is great but it doesn't really tell you how many BTU's / HR the thing can shed.

Van@RevanRacing

I can honestly say that I have over heated my car on the Nurburgring racing. I have a 2012 5.0 with a roush tvs and 3/4 through the track the car got hot and had to limp it to the finish line. Didn't do with 6psi. Did it with 9.5 psi and scared to race it again til I know the problem is resolved.

That very well could have been excessive IAT2 Temperatures. Lucky dog, getting to run the ring! NICE! :beer:

I'd be interested to see some data on how much heat your radiator can transfer vs. the stock Boss radiator. Sizing is great but it doesn't really tell you how many BTU's / HR the thing can shed.

Specifically over stock during testing in Las Vegas the radiator reduced cylinder head temperatures by 30 degrees and overall engine operating temperature stayed around 195-200 degrees. We were running the interior road course at LVMS (brutal little road course and in the desert) It took 4 laps to heat soak the OEM cooling system and 2 laps to recover. Heat Soak defined as 245 degrees. With the C&R Radiator it took 14 laps to heat soak and less than 1 lap to recover. Nothing else was changed in the tune or the car. All fan speed settings remained the same. The radiator is dual core and the cores are made by Visteon. Same core I use on my road race GT500.

That car operates consistently at 200-210 degrees on track with 15 lbs of boost at 9.5:1 compression.

is this a better option than the FRPP BossR radiator?

This is a dual core radiator with an actual Visteon racing core with aluminum side tanks. I'm not sure the particulars of the Ford Product but there have been guys over heating.

Rusty67

Established Member
Sorry, 1 more question about the radiator. Will the AC condensor bolt to this radiator just like a stock radiator or do you have to eliminate the AC ?

Rusty67

Established Member
Very nice. I think I will order one, don't want my car to overheat on the track in the southern California desert sun.

Rusty67

Established Member
Had to call in because the coupon code wasn't quite right but it is all squared away now. Thanks !

Users who are viewing this thread