Borla Stingers?

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
Yikes thats no good. Glad I bought just the mufflers

Dude no joke. It is horrible. After knowing what goes on and how they try to cover it up, I will never buy or reccomend their products ever again. Their staff are a bunch of idiots as well. No car knowledge at all.

Jefe

Established Member
Has the muffler design/material changed at all in the last 5 years that you know of?

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
Has the muffler design/material changed at all in the last 5 years that you know of?

Cheaper packing material. The ss wool and fiberglass are lower grades. Just make sure you hold onto your receipt. Main issues with the s type mufflers is the perf tube welds coming apart causing the muffler to rattle as well the end caps blowing out. The case is built from 300 series. Not 304. There are many grades of 300. The grade they are using just does not have any iron in it. Magnaflow and oems use 400 series. Which handles expansion much better. It is less brittle than 300 series.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I check back on all of these threads. Aren't you missing out on the politics forum? Anyways when they made the move they spent a lot more than they had planned for, but even before that they relaized they could sell an inferior product because of the name recognition. What did they do? They fired anyone worth a damn, hired anyone that said they could bend or weld for 8.00 an hr, and start skimping everywhere else. Every tip they use comes from China as does most of the stainless steel. They cannot even build the kits the way they are advertised. They substitute the tips and just send them out. Most of the time the tip will not even fit the vehicle or it looks terrible. Their response. That is how it is supposed to be. The quality issues are the big ones. The kits fit terrible because they use archaic methods to check them, welds crack constantly because of the cheap ss, flanges and clamp bolts will rust because they are not stainless. Yet they tell customers that their kits are 100% stainless. This

Cheaper packing material. The ss wool and fiberglass are lower grades. Just make sure you hold onto your receipt. Main issues with the s type mufflers is the perf tube welds coming apart causing the muffler to rattle as well the end caps blowing out. The case is built from 300 series. Not 304. There are many grades of 300. The grade they are using just does not have any iron in it. Magnaflow and oems use 400 series. Which handles expansion much better. It is less brittle than 300 series.

that is interesting stuff - so would you say that after around 2005 they started going downhill?

because i bought my stinger system when i first got this car in 2003/2004, and it really seems to be made with top quality materials and bent to perfection. when i am under the car i often think what a well made catback it is (or seems to be)

03COBRA-88

Established Member
that is interesting stuff - so would you say that after around 2005 they started going downhill?

because i bought my stinger system when i first got this car in 2003/2004, and it really seems to be made with top quality materials and bent to perfection. when i am under the car i often think what a well made catback it is (or seems to be)

+1 I have heard nothing but good things about borla and was thinking of ordering the catback

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
+1 I have heard nothing but good things about borla and was thinking of ordering the catback

i think what he is saying is that at some point the quality and materials went south, and that nowadays they aren't as good as they used to be :shrug: that if you were to order them now they aren't as good as some of the other companies like magnaflow, etc.

cobra=trouble

Established Member
DID THEY FIRE YOU? from the borla factory so you trying to get back at them ?

if you say what you say ,,show us some pics of these failures and weld and so forth?
so us the proof ? PLEASE!

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member

Exactly. The way they went about the move was a key indicator. They began using cheaper materials as well as let go all of the quality workers. Benders and welders mainly.

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member
i think what he is saying is that at some point the quality and materials went south, and that nowadays they aren't as good as they used to be :shrug: that if you were to order them now they aren't as good as some of the other companies like magnaflow, etc.

Exactly. They flat out just don't care anymore. They think they are the premier brand out there. Yeah right! A company that is a premier brand should at least have one rig for shows right? They don't. They have an easy up and a few plastic tables. I hated going to shows. We were laughed at constantly. Flowmaster, Magnaflow and Corsa close by with their rigs, detailed displays and bitchin shop cars. On top of it they can't even produce their crappy product. They are trying to build hundreds of kits using 2 benders and a handful of welders. Orders are backed up through September.

DID THEY FIRE YOU? from the borla factory so you trying to get back at them ?

if you say what you say ,,show us some pics of these failures and weld and so forth?
so us the proof ? PLEASE!

Yes yes that is it. NO! I am trying to convey to fellow members here to not buy their junk. You know how many guys have cut their stock kits off then call upset that they don't have a car to drive to work because the Borla kit will not fit. Happens non stop. The best Borla will do is send parts in 2-4 weeks because they don't have anyone that can build the customers parts. Magnaflow builds a better product plain and simple. I have tons of pics of terrible welding, rusted flanges, tips welded upside down and the list goes on. I am unable to post or forward them though. They claim to be building a 100% stainless system that is 100% American made. It is all lies.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Exactly. They flat out just don't care anymore. They think they are the premier brand out there. Yeah right! A company that is a premier brand should at least have one rig for shows right? They don't. They have an easy up and a few plastic tables. I hated going to shows. We were laughed at constantly. Flowmaster, Magnaflow and Corsa close by with their rigs, detailed displays and bitchin shop cars. On top of it they can't even produce their crappy product. They are trying to build hundreds of kits using 2 benders and a handful of welders. Orders are backed up through September.

Yes yes that is it. NO! I am trying to convey to fellow members here to not buy their junk. You know how many guys have cut their stock kits off then call upset that they don't have a car to drive to work because the Borla kit will not fit. Happens non stop. The best Borla will do is send parts in 2-4 weeks because they don't have anyone that can build the customers parts. Magnaflow builds a better product plain and simple. I have tons of pics of terrible welding, rusted flanges, tips welded upside down and the list goes on. I am unable to post or forward them though. They claim to be building a 100% stainless system that is 100% American made. It is all lies.

All of this would have been nice to know before you got me the deal on the catback. I can't complain due to the price, but I would have gone elsewhere with my money if I had known all of this.

03dsgsnake

Established Member
All of this would have been nice to know before you got me the deal on the catback. I can't complain due to the price, but I would have gone elsewhere with my money if I had known all of this.
I dont agree, i went from bassani and mine fit right up 123 and fitment and quality is there. There may some validation in what is being said, yet mac has fitment issues and i have seen first hand on my friends car so it can happen, also the magnaflow system i had the tailpipes never lined up. So what im saying is never take anything face value, theres always 2 sides and somewhere in the middle the truth. If Borla was soooooo bad there wouldnt be as many sytems out there. Just my.02. Good luck with whateverchoice.:beer:

SVTRocket

SVT Fan
Established Member
To the op,
I put stingers on in 2008 with the stock h-pipe and really like it. I had Magnaflow's and wanted something a little louder. The stingers fit the bill and I think the Borla's drone less on the highway.

A lot of people prefer the deeper sound of an h-pipe over the higher pitch of an x-pipe. Someone once described x-pipes as sounding like a motor-boat. The higher pitch and minimal, if any, performance gains has me spending money elsewhere.

My Borla appears to be better quality, especially the chrome tips. But Magnaflows are probably the best bang for the buck.

Good luck...

runs2rch

7 minutes!!!!
Established Member

Info I just found out recently. There are a few great benders and welders still there. It is sad that every kit does not come out perfect like it used to.

I dont agree, i went from bassani and mine fit right up 123 and fitment and quality is there. There may some validation in what is being said, yet mac has fitment issues and i have seen first hand on my friends car so it can happen, also the magnaflow system i had the tailpipes never lined up. So what im saying is never take anything face value, theres always 2 sides and somewhere in the middle the truth. If Borla was soooooo bad there wouldnt be as many sytems out there. Just my.02. Good luck with whateverchoice.:beer:

You are very right. Every company will have an issue here or there. My issue is that the kits are advertised as being 100% stainless as well as 100% American made. It may not be in writing that way, but that is what customersw are told. They are not informed that the tips are cheap chrome plated junk from China, the flanges and clamps are mild steel, and alot of the ss comes from China.

convert03cobra

Established Member
I have a full exhaust (BBK headers, BBK H pipe, and borla stingers). Its pretty freaking loud...kinda annoying to be honest.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member

I already put the kit on. It fit fine, just didn't go on like they said it would. I like the sound of it and it seems to be alright. As far as the quality of the stainless, I guess we'll see.

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Info I just found out recently. There are a few great benders and welders still there. It is sad that every kit does not come out perfect like it used to.

I'm not mad, just figured that you would have shared this info before. If you didn't have the info then, it's kind of hard to let me know. Thanks again for the deal though :beer:

cobra=trouble

Established Member
runs2rch > quote >I have tons of pics of terrible welding, rusted flanges, tips welded upside down and the list goes on.

im ''waiting on them pics'' man..hurry ! i was ..thinking of ordering some. the borlas i had when i had IRS was top notch! show me and others proof of this welding .bending and tip being welding on upside down.please!

SpectorV

Established Member
going from 100% stock to borla stingers is a huge sound difference, its just right for me... any louder is TO LOUD. If you plan to run no cats etc it would be to loud for me, just FYI.

Polish them before install, its easy and quick. Tape up the tips with some good towels and go to down with 200,300,400,600,800,900,1000,1500,2000 gritt paper and water and 8 hours later your ready to go :)

Users who are viewing this thread