Bored today Tinkered with the Cobra

red351wcobra

Established Member
I have read a few threads about replacing the the front factory IRS bolts. I went down to the hardware store and picked up two 9/16x4 grade 8 bolts, with lock nuts. This was a really easy mod,
photo1-2.jpg

photo2-4.jpg

Oil separator, I did this on my old 94 Cobra, and it worked really well at collecting oil blow by.. I know that there is some debate if this works or not. Well I personally think that its worth the $20 you spend. Oil is never good in your intake, especially when your running boost, like the Cobra's do. I made alittle bracket out of sheet metal and tapped the two little holes that where in the drivers side apron. I still waiting on my JLT oil separator to come in for the passenger side valve cover..
photo1-3.jpg

photo2-3.jpg

photo3-2.jpg

And a good photo of the Terminator at the Blanco river in Texas
photo4-2.jpg

Let me know what you think, im open to suggestions

MoKo_03SVT

=]~
Established Member
so tell us more about the IRS bolts. did you notice any changes, after the install? if so, what were they?

how long of a job is it, to swap these bolts?

red351wcobra

Established Member
The IRS bolts where pretty easy to install. I out the rear of the car on jackstands, don't put the stands under the IRS cage. Put a floor jack under the lower control arm of the side your trying to change.i only needed to jack the rearend up just a hair. Mainly to relieve the pressure off of the bolt. The factory bolt should just slide right out. Know the 9/16 bolt is bigger of course, i sprayed sine wd40 inside the busting housing to help shimmy the bolt through.when you first stick the bolt In the hole it won't go in all the way. You will need to get a open ended wrench and turn it until you can get a socket on in it. It didn't take long to get the bolt through. Some of you might have to get a pry bar to try and move the rearend around to help get the bolt all the way through. I didn't have to do any drilling think like that.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
This mod if primarily intended to help with wheel clearance as the stock bolts can sometimes get in the way

OP is talking about the Front IRS bolts that attach to the chassis, not the rear that are replaced with the button heads for tire clearance like you mentioned.

red351wcobra

Established Member
And yea there is a noticeable difference in how the car rides, and handles. The rearend seems to be more stable. This mod isn't intended to fix everything about the IRS. Just one little thing that Ford should have done originally. I think it's worth the $10 in bolts and 45mins of our time.

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
OP is talking about the Front IRS bolts that attach to the chassis, not the rear that are replaced with the button heads for tire clearance like you mentioned.

An impact would make short work of it, but I didn't remove the exhaust so the muffler being in the way limited my working room.

:shrug:

Sounds like to rear to me... :beer:

red351wcobra

Established Member
To clear up any confusion. I replaced the Front lower IRS chassis bolts. You wouldnt be able to get a 9/16 bolt through the top rear holes.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice work, but man, that photo of your gorgeous Cobra riding that path over the dam made me queasy. Is that a walking/bike path? Looks a bit narrower than one lane.

red351wcobra

Established Member
cobraBob-- Thanks alot. I really like that pic to. My wife took the photo. The river is called the Blanco river in Wimberly Tx. It is a one lane road over a dam. As soon as I saw it I made her get out and take a pic of me driving over it

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice job and pictures. I'm not a fan of the looks of the cheap separator, but not everyone will spend the 100+ for JLT separator but I did, its a very nice piece.

Users who are viewing this thread