Boost Gauge acting funny, Cant hear blower ??

Mike_Cobra03

Established Member
I knoticed tonite while driving my car and getting on it a little bit that i couldnt hear my blower whine as i usually can. i stopped took the headlight out and got on it after i pulled out and its like my boost would shoot up jerk a little and go up then it wouldnt hold it would start to fall back down.....

Has me scared really cause i dont know what could cause this, never has done it before tonite. so i got out under the hood and reved it up by the throttle body and couldnt hear it either.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
Wait so what in the hell made you take the headlight out?!?!

Back on topic have you checked the boost bypass selenoid? Belt look ok?

20-COBRA-03

Banned

Back on topic have you checked the boost bypass selenoid? Belt look ok?

lol. and if his belt was slipping that bad you would think that it wouldn't be supplying ample voltage because that belt drives the alt as well... sounds like you may have a vacuum leak somewhere and maybe you blew a vac line off...

Mike_Cobra03

Established Member
Took the headlight out because i have a ram air intake, and its proven with the headlight out on a cool night you can gain anywhere from 30 to 40 hp.

Anyway....where would the selonoid be located at to check it , or a vacum line, because the car was running fine 3 days ago and i just drove it again today.

I looked at the belt to and it looks ok, the motor is clean and under the hood is to, no sign of slipping.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
lol. and if his belt was slipping that bad you would think that it wouldn't be supplying ample voltage because that belt drives the alt as well... sounds like you may have a vacuum leak somewhere and maybe you blew a vac line off...

The belt slipping on the blower pulley wouldn't affect the alt.

Took the headlight out because i have a ram air intake, and its proven with the headlight out on a cool night you can gain anywhere from 30 to 40 hp.

Anyway....where would the selonoid be located at to check it , or a vacum line, because the car was running fine 3 days ago and i just drove it again today.

I looked at the belt to and it looks ok, the motor is clean and under the hood is to, no sign of slipping.

Proven by what?! You might be lucky to see 3-4hp not 30-40hp.

The selenoid is located on the drivers side of the blower.

Mike_Cobra03

Established Member
So what do i need to do to the selonoid to test it to see if its bad or not ?

""This JLT Ram Air Intake is designed to sit right behind your passenger side headlight. Why does this matter for your quarter mile time? Simple, remove your passenger side headlight and slam your foot down on the gas. As you go faster, the air is rammed into the filter faster and harder. Watch your quarter mile times drop with this inexpensive and effective upgrade! Gains with this kit are normally around 16-20 RWHP and 8-12 RWTQ""

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
For one,here is a pic of the boost bypass.As far as the lines go,check them all by hand to see if they are cracked,broken,etc.You can also use a unlite propane torch to check for vac leaks.You might want to check the intake itself,i`ve seen a few cases where they were loose on the maf,throttle body,etc.,and the cars ran like crap.
017-1.jpg

026-2.jpg

Last edited:

Mike_Cobra03

Established Member
so i just need to follow all the lines checking them, i will do that this evening when i get in from work. what i dont understand is the car was running perfectly fine 3 days ago, put it on jack stands, new wheels dropped it down last nite and was having the boost problems. so i dont know. I know its aggervating!!!

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
:lol:

Can you post a pic of your engine bay? The odds are that it really won't help us
identify the issue since it's a driveability problem, but there might be something
we can see.

My first thought was that it's a belt related problem. Are you able to record/post any data?

Last edited:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
""This JLT Ram Air Intake is designed to sit right behind your passenger side headlight. Why does this matter for your quarter mile time? Simple, remove your passenger side headlight and slam your foot down on the gas. As you go faster, the air is rammed into the filter faster and harder. Watch your quarter mile times drop with this inexpensive and effective upgrade! Gains with this kit are normally around 16-20 RWHP and 8-12 RWTQ""

First off all never trust any claims made by the company trying to sell a product. Second those numbers are in comparison to a stock intake, not what happens when you remove the headlight.

so i just need to follow all the lines checking them, i will do that this evening when i get in from work. what i dont understand is the car was running perfectly fine 3 days ago, put it on jack stands, new wheels dropped it down last nite and was having the boost problems. so i dont know. I know its aggervating!!!

Could be just a coincidence that the problem started after swapping wheels. The bypass selenoid works off vacuum, if not working properly the valve in the blower won't close and will allow boost to be bled off and bypass the rotors. In the pics Brad posted you can see a metal arm coming down from the selenoid, that arm should be up when the car is idling and should slam down when you go WOT. First thing check all the vacuum lines around and make sure they aren't kinked, pinched, etc. If everything checks out ok then start the car and see if that arm comes up like it should, press it down and see if it springs back up. If you have a second person to help have them hit the throttle pretty good and see if that arm slams down like it should when there's enough pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread