Boost and hp

freebird50

Established Member
I guess that you would need to see what you trap at the track. If you trap what a 630rwhp car does that you know you might have issues. If you trap higher then I would chalk it up to different dynos?
Yeah I guess I'll see hoe it feels when I pick it up Thursday.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Went to Shaun to do pulls in 2020. My car put 594 down on his dyno. Put 507 down at nextgen. Was running less boost back then and having spark issues. Now my car puts down 630 on nextgens dyno so I bet at aed I'd put down well over 700 now. Shaun's dyno did read way higher from my previous experience.
And again this is on 27psi? Lol

freebird50

Established Member
According to Matt. Yes. 98 Saleen you have medusa I've been trying to copycat your build lol. Really admire what you've done. I'm going to pick up my car on Thursday from Matt so I'll be sure to get more information about what's going on here. Thanks.

freebird50

Established Member
Just hit 27 psi this week according to matt. When I did the pulls at aed I was pushing 17 psi. Car was not the same as it is now. Like I said though. When I did those pulls at aed nothing changed between the previous pulls at nextgen.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Just hit 27 psi this week according to matt. When I did the pulls at aed I was pushing 17 psi. Car was not the same as it is now. Like I said though. When I did those pulls at aed nothing changed between the previous pulls at nextgen.
Thanks for the words bro. I can tell you 27psi out of a T trim is next to impossible unless you have some series issues going on in the exhaust side. Write out your combo here. Remember i had a T trim setup lol. On stock 04 cobra heads and 98 intake cams. 17psi yielded me 630rwhp on a 8.5 compression boss block motor. 3.33” upper and 15% lower 8rib setup. 1-3/4” kooks headers 3” off road exhaust and a vortech after cooler

That’s also on AED’s Dyno. Trap speed for weight of car told me it was spot on

Last edited:

Adower

Established Member
What is your pulley setup? I think it’s pretty much impossible to hit 27psi without an overdrive pulley.

freebird50

Established Member
Thanks for the words bro. I can tell you 27psi out of a T trim is next to impossible unless you have some series issues going on in the exhaust side. Write out your combo here. Remember i had a T trim setup lol. On stock 04 cobra heads and 98 intake cams. 17psi yielded me 630rwhp on a 8.5 compression boss block motor. 3.33” upper and 15% lower 8rib setup. 1-3/4” kooks headers 3” off road exhaust and a vortech after cooler

Thanks for the info and here's my combo.

Stock 98 teksid block bored 20 over
JE pistons 10:5:1 compression
Manley H beam rods
ARP everything for fasteners
Stock forged steel crank
Stock non ported B heads
Stock 98 intake and exhaust cams
Comp cams beehive valve springs
Stock 98 intake manifold
Innovators west 10% overdrive crank pulley
8 rib conversion
Vortech 2.7in supercharger drive pulley
Thump tensioner
Vortech v1 ti trim head unit
Air to air intercooler 3in piping
Vortech maxflow mondo bypass valve
Accufabb throttle body
Kenne bell boost a spark
Stock coil packs
Ford racing spark plug wires
Optima red top battery
PA 250 Amp alternator with 3.2 in underdrive pulley
Kooks headers 1 3/4in
Kooks 3in off road x pipe
Flowmasters
Glens fuel system with 04 cobra tank return style
Mmr fuel rails
60lb injectors
Dual walbro 255 pumps
T56 2.66 from d and d magnum
Twin disc rxt clutch
Michelin pilot sport ps2 tires
Bilstien shocks and struts
Lowering springs
Maximum motorsports lower control arms
J and m upper control arms
Stock anti sway bars
Full interior black on black coupe

freebird50

Established Member

Oh yeah also 4.30 gears and stock ecu

freebird50

Established Member

Also never have run my car at track so not sure on trap speed or quarter mile time. Thanks.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Innovators west 10 % overdrive crank pulley and 2.7in vortech supercharger drive pulley
Solid combo. But 27psi isn't gonna happen with that pulley combo.. So something is off with Nextgen's boost reading. Also 104 octane won't support 27psi.. You're in the C16 range with that kind of boost and that compression. For reference my setup right now on a custom 10rib is a 20% o/d and a 2.70" upper and I hit 29psi on a ysi-b through my heads and cams at 8k rpm.. Blower is 4 sizes larger than yours. Not a big deal might have been a typo to 17.. Not sure what A/A you have but not all are created equal. On a very efficient A/A that should yield about 20psi

Your impeller speed is only around 62000rpm at 6800rpm which is about where that combo will start to lay over power wise.. That's simply not enough to make 27psi

freebird50

Established Member
Solid combo. But 27psi isn't gonna happen with that pulley combo.. So something is off with Nextgen's boost reading. Also 104 octane won't support 27psi.. You're in the C16 range with that kind of boost and that compression. For reference my setup right now on a custom 10rib is a 20% o/d and a 2.70" upper and I hit 29psi on a ysi-b through my heads and cams at 8k rpm.. Blower is 4 sizes larger than yours. Not a big deal might have been a typo to 17.. Not sure what A/A you have but not all are created equal. On a very efficient A/A that should yield about 20psi

Your impeller speed is only around 62000rpm at 6800rpm which is about where that combo will start to lay over power wise.. That's simply not enough to make 27psi
Sorry but what does A/A stand for lol. And yeah when he said 27 psi I was very surprised to here that. Especially out of a t trim I agree something must be off somehow. Thanks.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Got it thanks. That came with my car when I bought it 6 years ago and not actually sure on the brand. Never saw a name or label on it actually.
Gotcha. NEXTGEN does good work but is mainly known for their GM stuff. do you have pictures of the car?

freebird50

Established Member
Gotcha. NEXTGEN does good work but is mainly known for their GM stuff. do you have pictures of the car?
I'll take some tomorrow when I go pick it up from them. New phone so no pics. And yes I agree they do good work, reasonable price and are honest guys. Matt is great at diagnostic stuff I've noticed. Still wondering about the boost reading I'll definitely talk to them about it. Thanks again.

Adower

Established Member
Thanks for the info and here's my combo.

Stock 98 teksid block bored 20 over
JE pistons 10:5:1 compression
Manley H beam rods
ARP everything for fasteners
Stock forged steel crank
Stock non ported B heads
Stock 98 intake and exhaust cams
Comp cams beehive valve springs
Stock 98 intake manifold
Innovators west 10% overdrive crank pulley
8 rib conversion
Vortech 2.7in supercharger drive pulley
Thump tensioner
Vortech v1 ti trim head unit
Air to air intercooler 3in piping
Vortech maxflow mondo bypass valve
Accufabb throttle body
Kenne bell boost a spark
Stock coil packs
Ford racing spark plug wires
Optima red top battery
PA 250 Amp alternator with 3.2 in underdrive pulley
Kooks headers 1 3/4in
Kooks 3in off road x pipe
Flowmasters
Glens fuel system with 04 cobra tank return style
Mmr fuel rails
60lb injectors
Dual walbro 255 pumps
T56 2.66 from d and d magnum
Twin disc rxt clutch
Michelin pilot sport ps2 tires
Bilstien shocks and struts
Lowering springs
Maximum motorsports lower control arms
J and m upper control arms
Stock anti sway bars
Full interior black on black coupe
That is almost the same exact thing I’m having built right now.

Teksid
10.5:1 comp
Stock heads
Stock intake
Diamond pistons
Molnar rods
A/A intercooler
10% overdrive crank
Accufab tb
E85
ID 1000s
Vortech strim w/ 3.33 pulley

If you’re near the Sacramento area I’d love to check out your car. Really want to hear the bypass and how loud it is. Im looking to do a recirculated one.

freebird50

Established Member
Car still isn't ready for me to pick up so thought I'd have pics today but I don't yet. I did talk to Matt from nextgen and he says I am indeed making 26psi not 27 but my car isn't making the power it should because of a bad mass air signal due to my intercooler pipe size at the maf. Also he says he's fighting bad spark blowout and he had to put in a cooler plug gapped at 22 thousandths to get my car to pull to redline without misfire. He also said my base timing is set at 14 degrees. That's all what he told me. He also said I need to do a coil on plug conversion as well. Also he told me that just because I have 26 pounds of boost doesn't translate automatically into more power because of the boost turning into hotter air. I guess my setup needs more work to get the most out of the boost level it's making. That was what he told me. Thanks again for trying to help me figure things out here. Still learning.

freebird50

Established Member
That is almost the same exact thing I’m having built right now.

Teksid
10.5:1 comp
Stock heads
Stock intake
Diamond pistons
Molnar rods
A/A intercooler
10% overdrive crank
Accufab tb
E85
ID 1000s
Vortech strim w/ 3.33 pulley

If you’re near the Sacramento area I’d love to check out your car. Really want to hear the bypass and how loud it is. Im looking to do a recirculated one.
It's loud. Sounds pretty cool I guess. Just vent it to atmosphere is what I did. That's how you get that cool sound if you want it I believe.

9397SVTs

Established Member
Premium Member
What size tubing do you have for the coldside and what MAF are you using?

What spark plugs were in the car and what did the tuner switch to?

Did he say what the IAT's are during a pull?

Vortech
V-1 T-Trim Supercharger:

• Max
    Speed:
    55000 RPM
  • Max
    Boost:
    26 PSI
  • Max
    Flow:
    1200 CFM
  • Max
    Power:
    825 HP
  • Peak
    Efficiency:
    73%
Maybe swapping to a larger pulley setup to slow things down a bit would be a good idea.

Users who are viewing this thread