Bolt on Mach outran a GT500

ProchargedSN-95

Sideways at any speed
Established Member
Here is an example when I first bought my GT500. Had a 05-10' GT trying to play with me on the highway. Kicked down into 3rd gear at about 60mph.. this was still with the crappy goodyears. At the time, I was a newbie with the car. Hitting third gear and powershifting into 4th with the goodyears would step the car out sideways. So I was more into trying to pay attention to the road, than the tach. So I would redline in 3rd gear and bounce off the rev limiter. Did this the first time, and obviously was ahead of him, but the second time when I powershifted into 4th, the traction control kicked in cutting power bigtime.. when this happened he went by me. So according to my description of the race, he may have thought he beat me. But in reality he didn't.

I was bored so I figured I would type a book. :pepper:

That is dead on what usually happens with the GT500's if they are still in those crappy Goodyears

S8ER01Z

Established Member
I'd bet the barn that wasn't what happened. Hopefully he's here and we can set something up.

BTW this was not a new GT500. It was the old style with SHELBY on the rear and nothing else.

I've only played with the old ones with light bolts / stock and each blew the tires off down low. :shrug:

MACHXLR8

Third Member
Established Member
Not trying to be an a$$ but way too much magazine racing lately...shoulda, woulda, coulda

I stated on a previous thread (SN-95 Cobra pulled on a Coyote) that these things happen on the street and track every day. Have seen it too many times. When racing on the street there is many more variables that affect the outcome of a race...it is not always the HP unless you're racing to higher speeds. Down low, traction, gearing and the ALL important "Driver Mod" plays a larger roll in the outcome. This is why faster cars can (and will) lose on the streets and more importantly, this is why many of us race! We love being the underdog and beating a "known" faster car. That is where the real rush comes from.

Last edited:

Poppacapp

Established Member
Not trying to be an a$$ but way too much magazine racing lately...shoulda, woulda, coulda

I stated on a previous thread (SN-95 Cobra pulled on a Coyote) that these things happen on the street and track every day. Have seen it too many times. When racing on the street there is many more variables that affect the outcome of a race...it is not always the HP unless you're racing to higher speeds. Down low, traction, gearing and the ALL important "Driver Mod" plays a larger roll in the outcome. This is why faster cars can (and will) lose on the streets and more importantly, this is why many of us race! We love being the underdog and beating a "known" faster car. That is where the real rush comes from.

+1 I agree. :beer:

MrGlock81

Established Member

Perfectly said!

bleedingfordblu

Established Member
its believable. he started behind you and if you got the hit i'd believe it. i mean i ran a 03 cobra with mid pipe, cat back and a filter and my front bumper was at his door from a roll and the 500's are a little bit faster so yeah i believe op

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
I don't understand what kind of roads you guys are driving on if your 07-09 GT500's are spinning on the 3-4 shift. My dads 08 spun in first, but if you just nailed it in second it wouldn't spin, and then just a little patch of spin on the 2-3 shift.

OneSmokeyCobra

Established Member
i know my car on the eagle f1 tires ROAST em from a 3,000rpm punch in 2nd gear. weird i dunno whats up twith the difference here. sure he had stock tires?

Poppacapp

Established Member
I don't understand what kind of roads you guys are driving on if your 07-09 GT500's are spinning on the 3-4 shift. My dads 08 spun in first, but if you just nailed it in second it wouldn't spin, and then just a little patch of spin on the 2-3 shift.

I bought my 12' GT500 in November. if you could keep it from spinning nailing it in 3rd gear, it would step the back end out at 90mph hitting 4th hard with the OEM Goodyears. With traction control on, it would bog the shit out of it.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
maybe you're a racecar driver and he's a retiree with a glandular issue?

th

9cobra4

Chickennoodlesoup.
Established Member
i know my car on the eagle f1 tires ROAST em from a 3,000rpm punch in 2nd gear. weird i dunno whats up twith the difference here. sure he had stock tires?

Positive, the car was bone stock.

I bought my 12' GT500 in November. if you could keep it from spinning nailing it in 3rd gear, it would step the back end out at 90mph hitting 4th hard with the OEM Goodyears. With traction control on, it would bog the shit out of it.

There's a 40hp difference in the 10-12 and 07-09, as I'm sure you know. I haven't got to drive the 10-12 yet, but I can imagine you can feel that 40hp. The 1-2 shift would yeild some pretty nasty wheelhop but just punching it at 40mph, it would just accelerate right on out. Maybe it wasn't broken in yet. It only has 800 miles on it.

Poppacapp

Established Member
Positive, the car was bone stock.

There's a 40hp difference in the 10-12 and 07-09, as I'm sure you know. I haven't got to drive the 10-12 yet, but I can imagine you can feel that 40hp. The 1-2 shift would yeild some pretty nasty wheelhop but just punching it at 40mph, it would just accelerate right on out. Maybe it wasn't broken in yet. It only has 800 miles on it.

Possible.. but I don't think the 50hp difference will be the difference between spinning at 90 and not even spinning hitting third. Not really sure though. It could also be a factor of the temperature.. if your dads car has only been driven in higher temps summer type weather, that may be a factor. When I got my car, we had 40 degree days.. so the Goodyears may not like the colder roads.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
A win is a win, IMO, the driver got beat, not the car. Ive lost to slower cars, it happens, sometimes it's the driver sometimes it's the decision.

Mine spun on the 3-4 at WOT with MT305/35s. It doesn't with the 325/40 M&Hs, however, it will blow them off at 50-60 in 2nd. As to the GY, those were on it when I took deliver, worthless at 1/4 throttle, drove it only once with the.

Last edited:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Traction plays a large roll and stock tires old cold roads favor the weaker cars. Naturally aspirated have the advantage because the TQ doesn't hit so hard. Wouldn't say you out ran him. He just had traction problems if he was actually racing you. Anything happens in the streets but sometimes you have to ask yourself did you just beat a car with about 200 more horses than you.

662HP631TQ

Established Member
Never had a "Problem" with the GY's. I would guess the Michelin's are better, but I hadn't had any problems as of yet.

Rain/clouds/shine they worked just fine in residential areas, business areas and on the highway. If I went close to WOT or WOT then I can see them being a problem but they are tame if you stay out of boost.

Users who are viewing this thread