Bolt on Mach outran a GT500

Stopsign32v

Established Member
....well kinda. I just got done putting some new control arms in the car so I wanted to see how she hooked now vs stock arms. As I pulled out I saw a red GT500 with white stripes. I figured what the hell, I know I'll lose by it will be fun. His tag read "Cobra R"

Getting to the good part. I turned onto a road with him right behind me. I dropped it down into 2nd gear and he shot to the lane next to me. We both punched it and he was at my back bumper. I hit 3rd.....then 4th. And around 100mph he sllllllowly came by me and then hit the brakes. The eaton wasn't loud over my exhaust but you coul definately hear it screaming. Honestly I expected to get my feelings hurt, but didn't.

If the owner is here and willing to get a run in I'd like to set something up. Nice car btw! :beer:

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Having raced a gt500 in the past I'm guessing he was still spinning as he was passing you. Good run.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Having raced a gt500 in the past I'm guessing he was still spinning as he was passing you. Good run.

I'd bet the barn that wasn't what happened. Hopefully he's here and we can set something up.

BTW this was not a new GT500. It was the old style with SHELBY on the rear and nothing else.

red-2010-form-shelby-cobra-gt500.jpg

Anyone know what these run? I don't know if he had mods so we will say it was stock. (I'm actually pretty sure it was)

Poppacapp

Established Member
I'd bet the barn that wasn't what happened. Hopefully he's here and we can set something up.

BTW this was not a new GT500. It was the old style with SHELBY on the rear and nothing else.

red-2010-form-shelby-cobra-gt500.jpg

Anyone know what these run? I don't know if he had mods so we will say it was stock. (I'm actually pretty sure it was)

If he was stock, he is getting about 440-460hp to the wheels. What they run varies WIDELY based on driver mod.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
If he was stock, he is getting about 440-460hp to the wheels. What they run varies WIDELY based on driver mod.

Wow thats more power than I thought! And I hear ya on the driver mod. So what times and mph can someone expect? From the looks of it I'd say he was a 113-114mph car.

Kcobra99

Established Member
Probably started on the wrong gear, thinking he'd put bus lengths on you. I have a few friends with the 07-09's, they run quick, but with the stock 3.31's, it's easy to mess up on a slow roll and have to play catch up.

Sent from my LT15a using Tapatalk 2

Stopsign32v

Established Member
I'm about 100% sure he was in 2nd at about 35-40mph (as we were going around the turn) and just mashed it. No idea if thats a horrible spot in 2nd or not.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
They have trapped 117 stock, i thknk driver started in the wrong gear. Gk nonetheless

Sent with my over sized Johnson

Poppacapp

Established Member
I'm about 100% sure he was in 2nd at about 35-40mph (as we were going around the turn) and just mashed it. No idea if thats a horrible spot in 2nd or not.

2nd gear and 40mph is my sweet spot. If he had oem tires, he would have been spinning horribly. I have 555r Drag radials, and it will spin on a cold day at 40, but feather and hook after. 40mph 2nd gear stomp is "orgasmic" in the GT500. :dancenana:

Edit: btw I have the Perf pkg with 3.73 gear

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Hope the driver of the GT500 chimes in. Would like to see vid of this race

Sent from straight outta Compton a Yung brotha named 5DEUCE writin on Tapatalk sippin lemon juice

Last edited:

Poppacapp

Established Member
Sounds like the GT500 needed a driver mod lol!

Here is an example when I first bought my GT500. Had a 05-10' GT trying to play with me on the highway. Kicked down into 3rd gear at about 60mph.. this was still with the crappy goodyears. At the time, I was a newbie with the car. Hitting third gear and powershifting into 4th with the goodyears would step the car out sideways. So I was more into trying to pay attention to the road, than the tach. So I would redline in 3rd gear and bounce off the rev limiter. Did this the first time, and obviously was ahead of him, but the second time when I powershifted into 4th, the traction control kicked in cutting power bigtime.. when this happened he went by me. So according to my description of the race, he may have thought he beat me. But in reality he didn't.

I was bored so I figured I would type a book. :pepper:

Stopsign32v

Established Member
BTW I've seen this car around more than a hand full of times. Its a younger guy and I think it's actually his DD.

Users who are viewing this thread