Bolt on Boss guys...post up your numbers!

darreng505

Established Member
I completely disagree. Dyno's have a different set of variables. My trap speeda never change by much from bad runs to good runs. Only time they change is when you completely get out of a run.

What are the dyno variables that vary from pull to pull? I can think of some things that vary on the car, but on the dyno itself, I'm curious what can vary.

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
No dyno is the same. I could dyno at 460rwhp on one then a different day go to another and dyno at 445rwhp. Its been seen a million times. Trap speed will tell the cars true power. If the DA is far off between people then useing a DA corrector will also be accurate.

pufferfish

Established Member
2 weeks ago, I made 2 passes at capital raceway. One was 115mph and the other was 118mph. Guess I gained 75hp between runs? Awesome! I am the magic horsepower summoner!

Onward, this thread was for n/a boss dyno numbers, not for the dumbest debate on the planet to take place.

darreng505

Established Member
No dyno is the same. I could dyno at 460rwhp on one then a different day go to another and dyno at 445rwhp. Its been seen a million times. Trap speed will tell the cars true power. If the DA is far off between people then useing a DA corrector will also be accurate.

I get that part, but on the same dyno is where you get a better determination of changes in HP than trap or ET. I think that's the point being made here that some agree to. Dyno to dyno is a crap shoot and no one puts any stock in that anyway.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
2 weeks ago, I made 2 passes at capital raceway. One was 115mph and the other was 118mph. Guess I gained 75hp between runs? Awesome! I am the magic horsepower summoner!

Onward, this thread was for n/a boss dyno numbers, not for the dumbest debate on the planet to take place.

75hp will give you 3mph?

I get that part, but on the same dyno is where you get a better determination of changes in HP than trap or ET. I think that's the point being made here that some agree to. Dyno to dyno is a crap shoot and no one puts any stock in that anyway.

This thread is about dyno numbers. So I doubt everyone here is going to be on the same dyno right? Everyone is from different area's of the country. So this thread is a crap shoot as you said.

darreng505

Established Member
75hp will give you 3mph?

This thread is about dyno numbers. So I doubt everyone here is going to be on the same dyno right? Everyone is from different area's of the country. So this thread is a crap shoot as you said.

If you try to compare each others charts it is. But if someone compares THEIR OWN charts its pretty valuable I think. Same car, same dyno, base pull 390, after bolt ons 420. That would be useful information from a relative point of view.

Two different cars? One pulling 430 and the other pulling 417? Useless information.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
If you try to compare each others charts it is. But if someone compares THEIR OWN charts its pretty valuable I think. Same car, same dyno, base pull 390, after bolt ons 420. That would be useful information from a relative point of view.

Two different cars? One pulling 430 and the other pulling 417? Useless information.

Well what the hell man we just agree'd on the whole thing then. I agree with the same car same dyno. Just not how this thread is comparing numbers from different people to different people.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
It was just a number. I don't know...but way to take THAT out of my response!

I didnt have to take anything out of your response because it wasnt a big deal. You said 75hp for 3mph with some smart ass comment about being a horsepower summoner. So after that your whole post didnt mean anythinf.

EJR

Established Member
Man this site loves to argue...lol

I can promise you this... Ive tested your different day on the same dyno jargon (dyno jet 224)... and let me tell you, for my NA car dynoed in 30 degrees and 90 degrees.... there was a 30whp difference...however....SAE values (which is what we should be comparing since that is the best form of weather correction) netted the EXACT same whp.

Bottom line is this... if you have access to a dyno and can operate it yourself (like myself for instance), then a dyno can properly be used as a tool, and not just a bench racing instrument. I have dynoed my car from day 1 on the same dyno (from 391whp all the way to 460whp) using the same SAE corrections. Smoothing is the only other variable and its not by much. If you understand how the dyno works and know how to use it as a tool...you will be able to truly see your gains...regardless of WHEN you dyno the car.

And for those people who will likely call the numbers (both whp and weight) in my sig BS, heres a little comparison video of this weekends racing.

My buddies 419whp GT/CS. His car trapped 117 with 400whp before the Boss intake. Used my dyno as well.
419whp GTCS VS 480whp Cobra Race 1 - YouTube

And now me racing the same cobra, the same night.
460whp Boss 302 VS 480whp Cobra - YouTube

I also plan on going to the track at some point and backing this up as well. Im not into blasting fake dyno numbers to sound fast. Ive always been that guy who had less power but got the job done. I want to know what i make for power, where i make the power, for how long i make the power...etc etc etc..

Last edited:

svt1111

Established Member
EJR- Sweet video cleaning the clock of the Cobra! Love it.

I guess I stirred the pot. Sorry fellas! Funny reading though....:lol1: Some good arguments here too, its all in good fun guys.

Like many of you, I've been at this game for a while now, and I've seen all sorts of internet dyno numbers that my cars have never been able to achieve compared to other's with similar combos I see online. It was always a point of frustration to me. So I've gone another route with my expectations, and its focused on trap speed at the track. If I can run a great ET, then it's merely a reflection of a combination of luck, decent driving, and a good track, it is in no way a good indication of HP though. I've run great ET, but crappy MPH, so it tells me that my combo is maxed out on traction and close to max with driving, then the car needs more HP. If the trap is high but the ET blows, then I need to focus on driving, and traction.

Having said that, ET is not a good way to measure you're HP. Trap speed is. I don't care if you run a 2.0 60' or a 1.65 60'. If the car traps 117.05 on the 2.0 and 118.88 on the 1.65, then you have a good picture of the actual rwhp if you know your car's race weight. Dyno's vary so much even with correction factor, I've preferred to use the dyno strictly as a tuning tool ( AFR for example) and the track as a horsepower measurement. Plus, it gives me another excuse to justify going to the track for "testing", lol.

My buddy's C6 Novi 2000 Vette went 11.4 at 137. See my point? lol. The car made 640 rwhp for what its worth.

All I'm saying here is if you come on here posting your HP, I want to see your TRAP SPEEDS ( could care less about ET)!

Carry on, I'm enjoying this thread. The Porsche forums aren't this entertaining at all! Haha! :beer:

EJR

Established Member
Thanks! And the entire 1320ft is used to attain mph. Spinning, bogging, lifting for a sec, etc... will all lower your mph.

The most efficient passes will likely lead to your highest mph.

svt1111

Established Member
Thanks! And the entire 1320ft is used to attain mph. Spinning, bogging, lifting for a sec, etc... will all lower your mph.

The most efficient passes will likely lead to your highest mph.

Correct, pretty much. But most MPH is made from the 1/8 mile to the 1/4 mile. So if you gaff the first half of the pass, as long as you don't completely blow it, then your traps will be pretty darn reflective of you HP. Most high HP blown cars will gain 28-35+ mph on the big end, where most high powered N/A cars only gain 22-25 mph there, even if you're 60' isn't there. Actually, most passes with a less than stellar 60' have a better than expected trap speed.... I've never understood why despite everyone having a theory as to why.. My Boss always trapped around 116-117 mph no matter what my 60' was or my 1/8 mile ET. I've always guessed it made around 410-415 rwhp, even though it trapped consistent mid 11's, the trap speed was low.

One of the funnest things you can do as a car enthusiast is to study your time slips and dissect them to find ways to improve! Dyno graphs are just plain lame by comparison. Unless your dyno chart is 1,000 rwhp +, then that's cool no matter what, lol. Just my opinion though!

EJR- I'm dying to see your track results. Your setup is killer and with 460 N/A rwhp, and low curb weight it should roll! My bench racing-self says 11.20's at 123-124, lol. Sorry, I had to say it :poke:

EJR

Established Member
haha we will see. Ill admit Ill be disappointed if i dont pull off 124-125mph traps as it sits. I may be going to a max effort CJ setup after all and continuing to get this car crazy light. If i can hit 500whp NA STOCK motor...along with a 3250 race weight... I suspect Ill be in the 130mph club :). Im trying desperately to be different... unfortunately its costing me a lot of money haha. Ill likely be having AED tune the car at some point.

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
haha we will see. Ill admit Ill be disappointed if i dont pull off 124-125mph traps as it sits. I may be going to a max effort CJ setup after all and continuing to get this car crazy light. If i can hit 500whp NA STOCK motor...along with a 3250 race weight... I suspect Ill be in the 130mph club :)

Do you own a shop?

svt1111

Established Member
haha we will see. Ill admit Ill be disappointed if i dont pull off 124-125mph traps as it sits. I may be going to a max effort CJ setup after all and continuing to get this car crazy light. If i can hit 500whp NA STOCK motor...along with a 3250 race weight... I suspect Ill be in the 130mph club :). Im trying desperately to be different... unfortunately its costing me a lot of money haha. Ill likely be having AED tune the car at some point.

I admire your attitude, trying to be different and all. It is so easy and cheap to just slap a charger on these cars, but to me they are best NA. No belt or IAT or AFR tuning non-sense issues. Plus the motor is designed to REV. So REV it! If I get another Boss, I want a 500 rwhp N/A beast that I can slay the big dogs with on the road course.

I noticed your in RI. I'm in SE Mass. If you ever need anyone to video you at the track or whatever, hit me up. If you're going to run your number, right now is the time. D/A at NED right now will be mineshaft once this heat goes away and seasonal weather returns. I don't care if you go 12.0, but if you crank 125 MPH NA, that will be damn impressive. My GT500 went 124 with 506 rwhp by way of comparison!

EJR

Established Member
Do you own a shop?
Im close friends with a few shop owners. One owns the dyno... the other helps work on the car. Ill admit Im lucky with the accesses I have.
I admire your attitude, trying to be different and all. It is so easy and cheap to just slap a charger on these cars, but to me they are best NA. No belt or IAT or AFR tuning non-sense issues. Plus the motor is designed to REV. So REV it! If I get another Boss, I want a 500 rwhp N/A beast that I can slay the big dogs with on the road course.

I noticed your in RI. I'm in SE Mass. If you ever need anyone to video you at the track or whatever, hit me up. If you're going to run your number, right now is the time. D/A at NED right now will be mineshaft once this heat goes away and seasonal weather returns. I don't care if you go 12.0, but if you crank 125 MPH NA, that will be damn impressive. My GT500 went 124 with 506 rwhp by way of comparison!

Im gonna try and make my pass as close to sea level as possible. Im not a fan of racing in mindshaft air and neither in the high elevation.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Im close friends with a few shop owners. One owns the dyno... the other helps work on the car. Ill admit Im lucky with the accesses I have.

Im gonna try and make my pass as close to sea level as possible. Im not a fan of racing in mindshaft air and neither in the high elevation.

Can't wait to see a timeslip.

svt1111

Established Member
Im gonna try and make my pass as close to sea level as possible. Im not a fan of racing in mindshaft air and neither in the high elevation.[/QUOTE]

I respect that. I think this weekend will be as close to sea level as you might likely get for the remainder of the month. Regarding trap speed, you may like to know that the trap speeds at NED are notoriously low. There are some theories to this, but I've theorized that they are 1-3 mph slower than most tracks ( from my own experience). Lebanon Valley is a better track to achieve your goals both MPH wise and D/A wise. It is 660 ft. above sea level as it is, I believe.

EJR

Established Member
trust me i know lol. NED is not the best track in the least... MPH is always low there for almost everyone I know. That place is run like a shit house. Id much rather hit up LVD or Atco.

Users who are viewing this thread